“Disappointed squeeze of a place”

The Corner House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 22 August 2014

The photos and booking through Opodo appeared to give enough assurances to warrant a booking but this was a big mistake. My wife and I are well over 70 so being allocated a third floor room (no lifts) was not a good start. We can usually manage our luggage but many narrow staircases.to negotiate was offputting. We were offered help by the mostly young staff during our one-night stay to be fair but the accommodation did not suit us and we shall not be returning.
The double room was far too Spartan; the bed not big enough, the space not good enough, the bathroom was a joke - far too small with a less than private folding door. The famous sausages at breakfast were far from that and access to the parking was a challenge too far at the end of a journey.
The overall impression is of a guest house trying to be a hotel but failing in most respects. Only one person gave me the impression he knew what he was doing. Such a disappointment.

Room Tip: Talk to reception staff direct by phone you can tell them more of your needs than if you use a websi...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear 128Hawkeye,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we appreciate your constructive comments.

It is clear that you did not enjoy your stay with us and please may I offer you both my personal apology.

We do offer ground floor rooms and have just launched our new Concept Room which has been received extremely well - The plan is now to roll out a further 10 rooms in the coming months.

I do hope that you both will give us the opportunity redeem ourselves and I would like to speak to you further regarding your stay with us.

Please may I kindly ask you to contact me directly via email manager@corner-house.co.uk

I look forward to speaking to you soon.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

this was our first visit to Taunton and i'm sure will not be our last.
We were impressed with the quality of the room and the hotel as a whole, one of the best we have stayed at and at a very favourable price

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Ken H,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review which we have passed around the team.

We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and time visiting Taunton.

It was a pleasure to welcome you and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

stayed for one night with my partner and we had a lovely room very big and clean, particularly enjoyed the fridge. lots of nibbles in room like chocolate, crisps and cookies but as we were unsure of whether we d be charged extortionate amounts for them , we left them untouched. breakfast would have been good if we d have gorged ourselves but as we only wanted 3 items from fry up and then charged ten pounds each for the pleasure i wish we d have gone into town to eat. reception staff not very welcoming and friendly and when checking out had to wait ten mins for them to finish phone call even though one girl was just stood to the side. !!!

Room Tip: ask for attic room
1  Thank debbie k
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Debbie K,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your constructive comments.

We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying in one of our Large Double Room's. We have just completed our new Concept Room which has been received extremely well and are now planning to roll this concept out across the first ten rooms.

We do offer a selection of mini bar items and there should have been a price list next to the basket - Since your stay with us we have replaced the price list in the room.

In terms of your breakfast I totally agree with you and this is something that we are currently reviewing. We do have special advance purchase offers from £5.95 including Full English and Continental Buffet. On arrival we do offer a special price of £6.95 if booked at the check in stage otherwise it is £10.00 in the morning if not pre booked - this is something that we are reviewing.

I am sorry that on the day you check in the Reception Team did not come across as welcoming and friendly - please may I assure you that this is not their intention. I understand that Shelley was training a new team member Caroline and whilst Shelley was on the telephone Caroline may have been a little nervous. Caroline has now passed her training and is performing well in her new role.

I want to say thank you for your constructive comments and for bring them to our attention.

I look forward to meeting you next time to you stay with us and showing you our new Concept Room.

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights in the Corner House,Taunton. We were guests as part of a wedding party. After checking in, we were given our keys which didn't work. This proved to a be a pain as the receptionist struggled more than once to get us in to our room. Every time we needed to get in to our room we had to be accompanied by reception staff as they only had 1 master card which would work and were unwilling to part with it.

The room was compact and reasonably clean, with the smallest shower area. The double bed wasn't as comfortable as I would have liked with a rather stif mattress.

When we arrived, we were asked to provide our card details and were shocked to find we had been charged twice once we had returned home. I did query this on check out and double checked we weren't being charged twice, however it almost was as if the reception wanted to see us quickly on our way as she dismissed that this would happen and not to our surprise it did!

The hotel seemed unorganised and reception staff rather scatty, without any attention to basic details , such as providing us with a working room key as well as charging us twice!

The only positive's were, breakfast was rather tasty and room service free of charge

Wouldn't be my first choice of hotel if I was to revisit Taunton

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank STSeddon
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear STSeddon,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for bringing this to our attention.

When you stayed with us on Saturday it is with the deepest regret to confirm that we did have technical difficulties with our key system to the extend it now is in the process of being replaced and upgraded. I do very much appreciate the inconvenience of having to be let into a room everytime that you you wish to enter and I hope that you will accept my personal apology. We do have master keys but unfortunately in keeping with the highest levels of security we are unable to give them out to our customers. We have ensured that we have additional team members on duty to manage with personally letting guests into their rooms 24 hours a day until this is resolved.

In terms of your final bill please may I assure you that you have only been charged for items on your bill. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on 01823 284683 or by email manager@corner-house.co.uk to ensure that I can resolve this promptly.

I hope to have the chance to speak to you soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I have never felt so compelled to write a review, it was not a pleasant stay at all - I have written an email to the hotel manager to detail my views on our stay - as yet I have not received a response. Whilst the staff were friendly enough it did not make up for the rest of the problems and I have to say this was the worst hotel that we have ever stayed in. I agree completely with Olwyn's review. We found the hotel to be very much past its best and either not enough time is given to cleaning or the cleaning staff need some serious guidance. We were on a three day break but were so disappointed that we left early. The hotel looks ok from the outside but that was where 'ok' ended!. We found the traffic noise a real problem both during the evening and through the night this combined with the constant sirens and poor bed resulted in very little sleep. The final straw though was when my breakfast was delivered with a hair on it not at all pleasant!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Fewtrelli,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We did receive your email on Thursday 14th August and please accept my apologies for the delay in responding as I have been away for a few days.

I do very much appreciate you bringing this to my attention and I have responded to your email earlier today. I have also left you a voicemail kindly asking you to give me a call when it is convenient as I would like to discuss your experience further.

I look forward to speaking to you soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed at this hotel with my partner and found my visit to be just under average. Paying the money we paid to stay on a Saturday night I would if expected slightly more, the room was very standard but does what it needs if you just need somewhere to put your head down. The staff are very friendly and helpful however unfortunately we might have seen them more than the norm as the hotels electronic room key system had gone down so all guests had to be escorted to there room by a member of staff as there was only 1 master key. The shower in the bedroom had very poor water pressure and the shower only had one temperature this was scolding hot. Another thing I would like to add is that if you are a Pimms drinker I would advise you not to drink it from here, also I would take bottled water. We stayed over on the Sunday night as well and on the Monday morning came down for breakfast at approximately 09:40 (as we checked out first) and breakfast had finished even though it states breakfast till 10:00, I would understand if maybe the kitchen was closed but the cereal and bread had already been packed away to, wasn't impressed as had a long drive ahead of us and had paid for this service. As I said before if you need somewhere to just lay your head this place is perfect! However if your looking for somewhere with a little more about it then go els where and don't bother including the breakfast unless your up when it starts.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Victoria S,

I was concerned to hear of your recent experience and as such please may I offer you my personal apology.

We do currently have an ongoing refurbishment programme and have just completed our new Concept Room which has been received extremely well.

The hotel is an old traditional building and at peaks times sometimes we do experience a loss of pressure especially very high up in the building which is something that we are addressing and trying to resolve.

We do offer breakfast during the week till 9.30 and at the weekend till 10am. We have not had this issued addressed before but have ensured that the team are aware the breakfast buffet is not to be cleared away prior to these times.

It is with regret that we are sometimes at the mercy of technology and unfortunately our key system has experienced technical difficulties and is in the process of being upgraded which does take a little time to implement. In the meantime security is paramount to us and it does take a little time to show guests personally to their room - we have allocated additional team members to address this issue.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves and look forward to showing you Room 4 when you next visit.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Have stayed there several times in cheaper rooms ,but decided to splash out on up graded room this time. very disappointed, bathroom floor dirty and large wet puddle , skirting boards layers of dirt and grime.walls paint falling off, and generally in need of up grading itself??
As late to arrive and hotel full had no option but to stay.
Staff were helpful and pleasant in general, breakfast was served by a female member of staff with ripped jeans on showing her underwear at the front, not everyones cup of tea, an apron would have solved the problem.

Room Tip: look at the room first, could have been our bad luck?

Dear OLWYN H,

We do have an ongoing refurbishment programme and have just completed our Concept Room which has been received extremely well. The plan is now to roll out the next stage of the programme by completing the next ten rooms including the room that you stay in.

We do hope that you will give us the opporunity to redeem ourselves and I look forward to the opportunity of showing you Room 4.