“Average”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Average”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Food very good, staff very friendly and helpful helpful, Manager or Assistant unhelpful with poor customer skills. There are many ways of saying No. He chose the wrong way.
The door card system was not working, and has been out of action for a while which is very inconvenient as you have to always rely on a member of staff opening your room. No fix date ion sight as far as I could tell

Room Tip: CVompact rooms very compact but acceptable
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Holidays6534,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your constructive comments.

We pride ourselves on our customer service and you are quite right there are different ways of saying no. I am sorry that on this occasion we did not get it right. Please could I kindly ask you to contact me directly to discuss your experience further as this will assist us in ongoing training of the Assistant Managers.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our food and that the team looked after you so well.

I look forward to the opportunity of speaking to you soon.

Nigel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
plymouth
Reviewed 27 August 2014

When I booked my room I explained that it was for work purposes and could I have a quiet room so that I could study in the evenings. My room was above the kitchen which started at 6am, not so bad however the noise in the evenings went on until 11.30, I could hear every pot and pan being washed, the floor being brushed up and cleaned. Would not of been a problem it this trip was for pleasure as I would of been out until then. But when you have an exam the next day and a long drive home you want a good nights sleep. So if you are staying for pleasure its a very good clean hotel, if for business and you need your sleep, make sure you are as far away from the kitchen as possible.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Patknell,

I am sorry to hear that you were not allocated the correct room and please may I offer you my personal apology.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

I hope that your exam was a success.

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

For the purposes of our stay visiting Taunton it was the perfect location. The hotel has a really nice breakfast including some of their locally made sausages and the choice they offer is fairly wide. My room seemed a bit worn or could have needed a more deeper clean. On correcting an over-charge issue with our bill the staff were reasonable and polite despite being busy that morning. The bar being open to guests all night is excellant, however the barman at the time hadn't opened a bottle of wine in his life. In turn he didn't know the measure so we were well compensated for our training.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Greg263782672,

Since your stay with us we have implemented a deep cleaning schedule and have launched our new Concept Room which has been received extremely well. We plan to roll our this concept over ten bedrooms during the next few months.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our sausages which we pride ourselves on and are sourced from our local Riverside Butchers in Taunton.

I am also pleased to hear that you took the opportunity to enjoy our late night bar and thank you for your assistance as it is much appreciated. Since your stay with us the team member has had some bar training in serving drinks.

We hope to welcome you back soon upon which I hope to be able to meet you.

Thank you again for bringing these points to our attention.

Burnley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

The hotel was a pleasant change from our previous accommodation last year as we have a family of six. The staff were very pleasant as were the ladies who clean the rooms. All the amenities within the room were great except the kettles which needed to be cleaned out or replaced as mouldy. Plus the bedding needed to be refreshed. Rooms were not hoovered and my daughter had to ask for the Hoover so she could clean up!!!!Could have done with some more hangers especially when two people are sharing!! Bonus was the closeness to Kings College so would book again next year!

Room Tip: Compact rooms ideal, but very warm
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Najma S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your constructive comments which is very much appreciated.

It is clear that in your room there were some housekeeping issues and as such please may I offer you my personal apology.

Since your stay with us I have discussed your experience with our team to ensure that there is no repeat occurrence. We have implemented a deep cleaning schedule for each room as well as replacing the kettle and the duvet in your room.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Thank again for bringing these important points to our attention.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014

The bar and restaurant area of this hotel are lovely. The staff are very nice and welcoming.
The "compact" room we stayed in was more than compact. If I was staying at this hotel alone, I would have complained about how small the room was. There was nowhere to put the suitcase so we had to put it in the bathroom while we were not using it.
We had a dog with us and had phoned the hotel directly to make sure that they accepted dogs. We were told it was fine to bring the dog and just to include it on the 'special requests' on the booking form. The room was not big enough for the two of us, never mind the dog as well. My husband had to leave the room just to allow me to get ready to go out at night time and leave in the morning.
The room was baking hot all night; an upright fan was provided which obviously took up even more space in the room; we had to leave it on all night and the room was still too warm.

Dear DianeHW,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your constructive comments which is much appreciated.

It is clear that on this occasion our accommodation did not meet your expectations and as such please may I offer you both my personal apology.

We do offer Compact Double Rooms which are more suitable for single occupancy; Standard Double Rooms and Large Double Rooms. We do advertise on all websites our Compact Double Rooms as being 12 SQ Metres. We do offer our Compact Double Rooms at a budget price but if you are spending more leisurely time in the room we do suggest either a Standard Double Room or a Large Double Room for a little extra.

We do welcome dogs the Corner House Hotel and since your stay with us have allocated specific rooms which are located in our Annex on the ground floor.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity redeem ourselves and thank you again for bringing these points to our attention.

West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights when visiting our daughter, who lives nearby.

The good points were - hotel is less than 10 minutes walk from town centre; the staff were friendly; the bed was comfortable; our room was clean on arrival and fresh towels were provided every day.

Not so good points - we didn't expect the room to be huge for the price we were paying, but our "compact double" room was very "compact" indeed, and only really suitable for sleeping and not for relaxing in; the room needed refurbishment (it looked dated, the television didn't work properly, and the curtain rail fell down); some small, basic things you would expect when staff were preparing a room were missing e.g. no milk with the tea and coffee tray; the card key system wasn't working and we had to ask the receptionist every time we wanted to go into our room.

Overall, our stay was ok but we wouldn't stay here again - the room was overpriced for the standard and size of the room. However, another couple we spoke to said their room was really nice and looked as if it had recently been refurbished.

Dear JW082014,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we appeciate your constructive comments.

We do offer three categories of rooms - Compact Doubles suitable for single occupancy; Standard Double Rooms and Large Double Rooms.

On the websites we do promote our Compact Double Rooms and advertise that they are only 12 SQ Metres and suggest a Standard Double Room for a couple. Couples are able to book a Compact Double which is then more at a budget price especially if you are not spending much time in the room. If you are spending leisurely time in the room we suggest either a Standard Double Room or Large Double Room as it is worth the extra.

We do offer a fresh carton of milk which is placed in your fridge each day - please accept my apologies if this was not in your room as this is not our usual standard.

I believe the main frustration of your stay will be that our key card system is not currently operating to regretably we do have to let guests into their room every time they wish to gain access as I am sure you will appreciate we are unable to give out master keys due to security precautions. In the meantime we have ensured that we do have additional team members on hand to assist and our reception is operated 24 hours a day. Sometimes technology does let us down and for that I can only apologise. We have today ordered the new system which will be installed later this week.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity redeem ourselves.

Saint Helens, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014

As soon as I checked-in, the customer service was outstanding. I'd only been in my room for 5 minutes, when I got a phone call from the receptionist, advising me of times/dates of local cricket matches. After I checked-out, I noticed there was an unusual service charge on my bank statement. One quick email later, and the manager had refunded the money back into my account. No hassle. No red tape... just a quick, simple solution. Problem solved!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Gavin W,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review which we have passed around the team.

We were delighted to welcome you and hope that you enjoyed your cricket matches.

We do not always get things right but hopefully that we can promptly resolve matters when we are in the wrong as customer service is our priority.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.