“Is boutique the same as eccentric???”

The Corner House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 1 September 2014

So a stopover on our way down to Devon, we booked two rooms originally via a hotels search engine and found a good room only deal. We then cancelled that as, by booking direct with the hotel, we achieved a extra special evening meal, bed and breakfast deal - always worth checking. Not sure what makes a hotel 'boutique' rather than a bit eccentric, but this place was quaint, amusing and surprising. From the narrowest of entries to the car park off the city ring road, to the wall of fine wines, the range of 6 speciality sausages, the dining room tables made of wine bottle crates,through to the sloping bedroom floor it was all a long way away from the standard chain approach and thank goodness for that!!! It was a pleasure to stay here, we were made most welcome and its location - a short walk from the town centre - was a real bonus. Dinner (as part of the deal) was classy and well presented and despite the small queues for the toaster, breakfast was similarly excellent. My first suggestion would be if they could delay the movement of the bins in the courtyard by a couple of hours my nights sleep would have been perfect!!!The second issue we did have was with the non functioning keycards (the machine had broken down with an engineer unable to attend for another week!!). This meant that every time we (or any of the other guests) wanted to get into our room we had to be escorted by a member of staff with a master key - the staff were run ragged and I did cause us some delay and inconvenience!! This was, at first, quite charming but the novelty soon wore off and I would have started to get a little fractious if I'd been staying there any more than 1 night. This was a logistical problem and didn't detract from the lovely stay that we experienced, the warm hospitality of the staff, the location of the hotel to the town centre and the excellent deal we secured on the two rooms - for all these reasons we'd definitively stay again........

Room Tip: I'd try and say in the old part of the building - it has more character. Also they rate their ro...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear 509Martin,

Thank you for taking the time to write such an honest review which made interesting reading.

We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and have very much taken note of your constructive comments.

I have today been in discussion with the company that collects our refuge bins and hopefully will have a resolution by tomorrow with a revised schedule for collection.

It is with regret to advise that our electronic key system is not currently working and is in the process of being replaced - unfortunately the system is currently on its way from America and does take time to implement. In the meantime we have scheduled additional team members to let guests into their rooms as required 24 hours a day as we are unable to provide master keys for security purposes.

You make some very valid comments and I am personally very sorry for any inconvenience caused however in the circumstances we will continue to strive to offer our utmost in customer service.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

The room was very pleasant, and the staff very friendly. We had a small unexpected problem (which could happen in any hotel) and the problem was quickly resolved. We were given a lovely bottle of wine as compensation which we enjoyed with our dinner.

I think you can easily judge a hotel on how well they deal with things when they go wrong, and I would certainly recommend the Corner House Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Dear Katiephillimore,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review.

I am sorry to hear about the small unexpected problem but am pleased to hear that it was dealt with in such timely professional manner.

We will always do our utmost to ensure that any arising issues are resolved promptly while the guest is still staying with us and do believe this is how we are judged.

Thank you again for your kind comments which have been passed around the team.

Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

As other reviewers have stated .,take note which type of room u book, to what u are give by reception, they like to fill the compact rooms regardless..
However great hotel bar and restaurant, clean and gives a "very up market" feel for very reasonable value. Staff friendly clean n tidy hotel , close to town centre. Nice touches in room free mineral water + other goodies which escape me.
Only real downfall is letting guests & staff smoke right outside main hotel entrance, our room was within that area so drifts made there way upto us. I will stay again when in taunton

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank singaporebeer
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Dear Singaporebeer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your constructive comments.

I am concerned to hear of the perception of how we apparently sell our rooms. We do have three categories of rooms Compact Double suitable for single occupancy; Standard Double Rooms and Large Double Rooms. We charge a £10 supplement for Standard Double Room and a £30 supplement for a Large Double Room.

Whilst guest maybe lucky and receive a complimentary upgrade to either a Standard Double Room or a Large Double Room at no extra cost please may I assure you that we do not downgrade bookings at all.

We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Wine & Sausage Restaurant and have passed your kind comments around the team.

Thank you again for your review and the title is very apt!

Reviewed 29 August 2014

room very small, dirty, and a 5:00 am bin collection and return at 6:00 am did not go do well. Breakfast cleared away at 09:30 sharp without informing customers, informed hotel that we were not happy with the service but nothing done, £100.00 for one night with little sleep is not what I want from any hotel

Room Tip: give this hotel a miss
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear DaveABWatford,

I am very concerned to hear of your recent experience as this is not our usual standard. Please may I kindly ask you to contact me directly by email manager@corner-house.co.uk so that I can discuss your stay with us further.

In the meantime I will speak directly with a refuge collections business to arrange a more sociable time to collect the bins as can appreciate this will cause disruption to our guests.

On this occasion we did not get things right and for that may I offer you my personal apology.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to resolve this matter and I look forward to speaking to you soon.

Reviewed 29 August 2014

I was a litle surprised at the standard of my room after entering the building. The external facade and reception area is quite grand so I was expecting this to continue into the rooms. However I felt the decor was somewhat tired - it wouldnt take much to bring this to the required standard; a good repaint and some modern colourful cushions/accessories for example. My room was not in the main part of the building and I had to walk outside to access it. This was annoying as it rained a lot of the time, so breakfast time I had to remember to take my rain jacket or I would be soaked - I am sure that part of the walkway could have cover which would make a big difference to those staying in this annexe. Also I had a view of a brick wall which prevented a lot of light from entering the room and I found a bit depressing.
On the positive the restaurant was good, food tasty and attentive service. Overall price was good for the location and the meal options in the wine and sausage restaurant were helpful as after a long training day I did not want to have to wander out in the evening.
The shower in my room was very good, big enough for two and nice powerful shower - a little odd that you access it immediately from the hall, so essentially you are dressing/drying yourself in the hall area but otherwise good. I may stay again but it would not be my first choice.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main building.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Carol F,

The room you stayed in was Room 42 and unfortunately due to being a listed building there is no internal passage way however the possibility of an overhead canopy is a good idea. Whilst Room 42 is a nice quiet room it looks out to a small courtyard and has its own french windows to gain access and fresh air but do appreciate that if does look towards a brick wall.

We have just launched our new Concept Room (Room 4) which has been received extremely well and are now finalising our plans for rolling out the refurbishment to the next ten rooms during the next few months.

We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant (Wine & Sausage) and have passed your kind comments to the team.

I do suggest that next time you consider booking with us you ask for Room 4 as I would be interested in hear your thoughts on the new room.

If I can be of any further assistance, then please do not hesitate to contact me directly via email manager@corner-house.co.uk.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

drove 4 hours to stay at the hotel to find out they'd double booked. Claimed had called (despite showing my phone had not had any calls- stated they called 5 times) and got sent to a guest house on the other side of town where we got placed in a basement room which looked like it had not been redecorated for at least 30 years. Will not be booking again or recommending under any circumstances

• Stayed: June 2014
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Sachy86,

Thank you for taking to the time to write a review.

I am very concerned to hear of your recent experience and I would like you to contact me directly at your earliest convenience - Email manager@corner-house.co.uk or telephone 01823 284683

Please may I assure you that this is not our usual practice and I am personally very sorry.

Since your stay with us we have addressed this issue.

I look forward to speaking to you soon.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

My room on the ground floor of the annex was terrible and in need of a major overhaul.

The car park is too small and several cars including mine were blocked in which meant I was late departing.

I paid nearly £130 for the night inc breakfast for this. There are much better alternatives around.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Connieking,

Thank you for taking to the time to write a review.

I look forward to speaking to you soon.