“Would not recommend”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Newbury, Berkshire
“Would not recommend”
Reviewed 31 August 2009

Our first opinion was good, the 2 male receptionists were very friendly and helpful. The room looked ok when we got in but after the first 5 minutes we noticed rubbish on the floor from the previous guests and wedding confetti dotted around the room so the room obviously had not been vaccummed properly. T
The minibar was practically empty and when we went to make tea in the morning there was no milk at all.
The toliet paper was sparce and very cheap.

We paid £75 but this didn't even include breakfast which would have been an extra £7.95 each!

We were desperate to get out of there first thing in the morning.

As we were checking out the receptionist girl was vacant and seemed more interested in her coldsore then serving us.

Overall very bad and would not recommend ... not even to our worst relative.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
London
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Having read some of the reviews on Trip Advisor I wasn't expecting much from this hotel. My boyfriend and I stayed at the Corner House for a wedding in the local area. This wasn't a luxury or get away stay and therefore I would have liked to spend slightly less money but at peak season I also wasn't surprised to spend £65 a night (compact room).

The hotel common areas and the room itself were clean. The room was very hot, although given that our window was located above the bins on the car park side we didn't suffer too much for it. The compact rooms are very small if you have anything more than a small weekend bag each then this may be a problem. Friends of ours stayed in a standard room, I considered the overall difference to be negligible, however the price difference (£6 per night) is also negligible and their room was better located within the hotel.

The hotel is fairly central to Taunton itself. It is located at a busy point of the one way system, however as a life long big town/ city dweller I would not expect silence from a town centre hotel. The staff the we encountered seemed to be very young; for the most part they made us feel welcome and sorted our a minor problem for us happily. I would not go to a hotel like this and expect 5* service. I feel as long as the staff are friendly, helpful and present and the hotel is clean then that is good enough for me. We did not eat any meals at the hotel, but I thought the complimentary water and milk were a nice touch.

I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend the Corner House, but I would say that it served us perfectly well.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Plymouth
Reviewed 23 July 2009

A one night stay is all I would be able to cope with here. I was allocated a room in the "annexe" overlooking the main road on what was probably the hottest night of the year. I couldn't open the window fully and even if I could, it was so noisy that I couldn't bear the noise levels as they were! Being in the annexe also means that you hear everyone come in (at 3am) when they bang the front door shut, stomp up the stairs and slam their bedroom door shut.
Room was very small - too small and basic for the price - and the bathroom was tiny and shoe-horned into the old Victorian bedroom. One nice touch was the fresh milk available in the fridge.
Breakfast was horrendous - no real level of service, croissants were burnt and stale, toaster was in danger of burning down the place and the level of service/attention was poor.

Over-priced. I was pleased to leave and will not be going back - I have told all my colleagues to avoid.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Taunton hotels

kent
Reviewed 12 July 2009

stayed 2 nights in a large room, although it wasn't. found the room and hotel to be very scruffy, the bathroom was very small.only had breakfast but thats wasn't too good either. Didn't think the hotel was very clean in the bar or dinning room.
The hotel seamed to be run be young inexperienced people, who did not have much of an idea. wouldn't go back

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Wiltshire
Reviewed 5 July 2009

I booked 3 large rooms with this hotel back in March for an overnight stay last night (4th July 2009) and received e-mail confirmation that 3 large roms were available. The price quoted was for 3 large rooms. On arrival on Saturday afternoon, 2 large rooms and 1 standard room had been allocated. No large rooms were left available to meet my reservation which the hotel had accepted and confirmed.
An administrative error?
Dishonest booking policy?
Shoddy business pratice whichever way you look at it.
We haven't let The Corner House ruin our weekend but you all need to know that they appear to be prepared to accept your booking, tell you all is ok and then do what they like.
Don't use this hotel if you appreciate being treated like a valued customer.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
the north
Reviewed 17 June 2009

we got there so tired and the manager (andrea) welcomed us with a smile and helping hands. she got our bags taken up to our room and from there on couldnt do enough for us - even though she was so busy, she managed to find time for us.told us places of interest to go.most places dont do this.refreshing to find a lovely hotel run by friendly staff and an exceptional manager. would reccomend here.
ever down in someset, we will stay here.cant find fault.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
KENT
Reviewed 14 June 2009

Car park inadequate, Room smelt of raw sewage, Single room turned into double limited storage, No remote control for TV, Bed sunken in middle new mattress needed, Linen old and grubby, Pillows flattened, Food in restaurant very poor and very expensive.

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TO ANY ONE!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple