“Good for food but not the rooms.”

The Corner House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
portsmouth uk
“Good for food but not the rooms.”
Reviewed 8 February 2011

I really enjoy saying great things about independent businesses as I am starting to hate the large chains of sterile anonymous hotels and want the smaller hotels to thrive. However, this is not one of those occassions. Sorry.

I arrived late midnight and the door was locked and no-one at the reception, so I had to knock on the door (no bell) which is a bit daunting as a lone female traveller. The night porter/receptionist let me in promptly. As I had to leave very early in the morning I asked if I could settle my bill there and then which was fine, but led to some problems printing. I was a bit disappointed just to be left standing there for ages with no communication re the printing problems and after a while I said that as it was so late I just wanted to go to bed and please leave invoice for the morning.

The downstairs area looked very nice and I was happy until I started making my way to the rooms through the tired and slightly depressing staircase and hallway, but sharp intake breath was required when I opened my bedroom door. I was so glad I only had six hours in this room as it was the most depressing room I have seen for a long time. Start bright white lighting everywhere with no cosiness at all, walls which look they have painted over and over again and tired blinds. And the bathroom, reminded me of something I have stayed in an elderly relatives house - white suite , but dated all so dated and no area around the sink for storing your toiletries. Very few toiletries provided (no shower cap etc,.) just very odd. I have to say very clean though. The bed was not very nice and I didn't enjoy sleeping here. One excellent feature which was the provision of fresh milk in the fridge for tea and coffee, brilliant, I hate UHT milk.

In the morning, there was no hot water for the shower which even if there had of been, it was very a weak and unimpressive shower.

However, I was pleasantly surprised by a lovely restaurant area for breakfast and a lovely waitress (this can be hard at 7am). Good selection of fresh (not tinned) fruits and juices. Lovely fresh coffee and then a very good breakfast cooked fresh (non of this stupid buffet style breakfasts I detest). Poached eggs, locally sourced sausages and bacon. Really really good.

This hotel could be good if the rooms were of the same standard as the food and downstairs decor.

I thought this hotel carried a hefty price tag at £89 without breakfast and I really felt the room was not worth (agains the competition) no more than £49.

The full breakfast at £7.95 represented excellent value for money.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2011

I have just spent 2 nights at The Corner House Hotel in Taunton and can state that during that stay the staff were very professional and friendly, the hotel was clean and pleasant to stay in, it also had a very good restaurant. I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2011

This hotel was very reasonably priced, food in the restaurant (dinner and breakfast) was excellent. Much nicer than the otherhotels I've personally satyed at in Taunton.
Well located for the town centre, rooms were clean, fresh milk a nice touch.
We have already booked to come back later in the year!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Minehead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2011

We needed somewhere to stay so that we could be at the hospital by 8.00 am in the morning. We found the room excellent, well equipped, with comfortable beds, The staff were friendly and welcoming, and we were happy with the experience.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 1 November 2010

Stayed in a "large twin" for 5 nights. Room size ok but tiny bathroom - literally the length of a small bath (with overhead shower), basin offering no storage and the nosiest loo I have ever encountered!
Double glazing provided some respite from the endless traffic noise - the hotel is aptly named being situated on the corner of the 1 way traffic system in the center of town - but having the windows closed made the room hot & stuffy.
"Wine & Sausage" restaurant reasonable with lots of different sausages on offer but not a great selection otherwise. Booked the "Sunday Roast" and confirmed it later in the day as we had invited family to join us only to be told that they had experienced a rush (30 covers) at lunchtime so it was not available when we arrived. Seeing as we were in the hotel I would have appreciated being informed earlier so we could have made alternative arrangements.
Room not cleaned or re-stocked one day as somehow the "Do Not Disturb" sign was posted on the door??!! The receptionist was great and offered us more milk, tea/coffee supplies and fresh towels.
Power went out in the room on our last night and the night manager could not help other than by saying they were fully booked when we asked if we could move - did not even offer us a torch or flask of hot water to make drinks.
Entrance to the hotel is tight in a VW Golf - mainly due to the rubbish skip that sat in the drive for the 5 days we were there but was never used. Exit from the car park is a NIGHTMARE - they say 2.3m wide but the turn is tight especially when people park in the no parking turning spots but there was never enough parking so understandably people parked their cars wherever they could.
Hotel seemed very popular for conferences and suitable for this - would not recommend for pleasure or families with children as rooms just too small and noisy

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Taunton hotels

Kimbolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2010

A really neat a presentable little hotel, unfortunately let down by really narrow parking (lots of car damage on entrance and exit walls) and a combination of external and internal (ducted through the bathroom) noisy vents that ran constantly all. Needless to say I wasn't surprised when the shower door fell off its hinges....

A room away from the ducting would may have changed my opinion but beware if you get assigned it and try get it changed. No-one is interested in hearing complaints at 11pm at night.

A long way away from convenient local services - unless you regard an restaurant that stocks sausage as a novelty.

Given a different room, I have a feeling my review would have been more favourable as the hotel in general is convenient and afordable.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
West Sussex
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Stayed one night in Room 7. Clean, comfortable and quiet. Fresh milk left in the mini-bar for morning tea which was a nice touch (and unusual - I wish more hotels would take note! "Plastic" milk does not make a good cup of tea!). Neutragena shampoo and soap (but sadly no conditioner!) Staff were all very nice and helpful. Dinner in the Wine & Sausage absolutely delicious and beautifully presented. Got talking to the couple next to us at dinner - they said the Sausage Platter starter was the best starter they had every had. Breakfast very good too. All at an incredible reduced rate that couldn't be beaten. Be warened - car park entrance and exit quite narrow, not suitable for very large cars.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple