“Good budget Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Good budget Hotel”
Reviewed 31 March 2011

As thetitle says good budget hotel. Recently refurbished and very clean. Generally very comfortable. Reception staff very friendly and helpful. Chain restuarant next door. Lots of free car parking and an easy 10 minute car drive from the town cwntre. Downside points. Air conditioning unit is noisy when on and it and blows directly onto the bed. Very expensive cable internet in rooms although WiFi in lobby was free.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
TauntonManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Taunton M5 Jct 25, responded to this review, 1 April 2011
Dear Spitfire24

Thank you for your kind review, and thank you for your comments regarding the air conditioning I will have the maintenance Team look into this as they should run fairly quiet unfortunately we can’t move the units away from the bed as this is the optimal position for them however like I said I will have this looked into. Also thank you for your comments regarding the internet as you said it is free in the bar and lounge areas and we are looking at the costing for the rooms as we appreciate not everyone wants to use their laptops down stairs.

Once again thank you for your comments we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Robert Holmes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Rochdale, England
Reviewed 30 March 2011

I booked this expecting the number one rated hotel in Taunton to be somewhat better than average - it wasn't.
The basic room I was given had no bath, and for some reason was a disabled room with a "wet room" shower - these cause the whole floor to get wet after a shower, and I can't say I was overly impressed.
You get a very basic continental breakfast supplemented by scrambled egg and catering sausages.
Not on my return list

2 Thank wroughtironron
TauntonManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Taunton M5 Jct 25, responded to this review, 31 March 2011
Dear Wroughtironron

Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. May I firstly just start off by saying that no Holiday Inn Express Hotels in the UK have baths in the rooms also you had booked an Accessible room which have a wet room style bathroom due to them needing to be accessed by guests that find it hard to use a standard bathroom, we have 6 of these rooms in the hotel and all other rooms have a separate shower, toilet and sink area within the bathroom.

As for your comments regarding breakfast thank you, we are looking for ways in which to improve this area and your comments will assist us to do this.

Again I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and we do hope that you will give us another chance (In a standard room) to show you what so many of our other guests love about us.

Reviewed 14 March 2011

Stayed here with my family while visiting relatives and wow was I surprised I normally stay at the Holiday inn which is ok. But thought I'd try the express after it was recommended by a friend. It's so much more modern that the other hotel and the family rooms are great big, nice sofabed all a family need (movies are a bit expensive though). Free breakfast too was great, ok there was no bacon and the selection was not quite that of the holiday inns (which is expensive for what it is) but the kids loved it and there was more than enough to satisfy even my appetite.

The best bit about this hotel though has to be the staff. They were fantastic. Nothing was ever too much for them and they did everything with a smile.

Thank for a great stay we'll be back again soon

• Stayed March 2011
Christchurch
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Hard pillows, lumpy and heavy duvet, tiny towels, appalling breakfast, poor service. Will go back to using Premier Inn. Even my experience with Travelodge was better - and that cost me only £19.

1 Thank Tolcarne
TauntonManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Taunton M5 Jct 25, responded to this review, 14 March 2011
Dear Tolcarne

Thank you for your comment regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry to here that you did not enjoy your stay with us, we pride ourselves on our great customer service, as you can see from our many other Tripadvisor comments, however it would seem on this occasion that this has not been the case and for this I apologise.

Your comment on the Pillows and Duvets are of great concern to me as we have recently invested in new Duvets for all our rooms and we have received great feedback from other guests, also there is a selection of soft and firm pillows on all our beds, to try and meet the diverse needs of all our guests. The fact that you did not enjoy either of these may mean that we need to readdress these items, and I apologise if you felt that these impeded your sleep.

The towels in all our rooms are standard size bath towels, however we are looking into increasing the size of our towels and I would like to thank you for feeding this back to me, as it is only with great feedback that we can hope to meet all our guests needs.

Our complimentary Express Start Breakfast is one of our main areas of focus and we are trying to evolve this product further and would love to hear your comment regarding this. We as a company are constantly trying to evolve to meet the need of all our guests and would like the opportunity to consult you further regarding this matter.

peterborough
Reviewed 24 February 2011

We stayed here as a stopover on our way to Cornwall. Having never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before we were pleasantly suprised. Reception staff were very helpful, quick and efficient both on check in and out. Rooms were spotlessly clean, comfortable and well equiped. Breakfast was a buffet, which was replenished constantly and the food was plentiful and of good quality (excellent coffee!!). I would definately use this chain of hotels again as the price and accomodtion was great.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2011

We stayed on the night of the 20th, and were very impressed by the lady at the reception. She was smily, friendly and helpful. I don't ever write reviews, but I feel she deserves one!!
We payed £40 for 2 adults, a 6 years old and a baby excluding breakfast. Breakfast was free for children. Overall a very cheap option for families (in my experience it is difficult to find reasonably priced hotels as a family)
The room was clean and spacious, and perfect for a family.
Food amenities were quite dreadful.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank natlees
TauntonManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Taunton M5 Jct 25, responded to this review, 7 February 2011
Dear Lysylou2000

Thank you for your wonderful review, we are always looking for ways in which to improve the hotel and your comments are greatly appreciated.

Can I just take this time to confirm that all of our guest can enjoy our Express Start Breakfast Completely free. Here at the Holiday Inn Express we firmly believe that breakfast is the most important meal of the day so much so that we offer it free to every guest young or old.

As for the food amenities, as you would have found out, we don’t serve evening meals or Lunch in the hotel, but we do have a Harvester Pub adjacent to the hotel. If you’re not in the mood for the Harvester there are many fine Pubs and restaurants in the local area and our staffs are always happy make suggestions and give advice on a great place to eat. We also keep a large selection of local take-a-ways who are happy to deliver to the hotel so that you can either enjoy you meal in your room or in our lounge.

Again I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Robert Holmes – General Manager
Solihull
Reviewed 19 January 2011

Stayed in August 2010 with my partner and had a fab time here. Close to motorway but not so close that you can hear the traffic. Staff were friendly, helpful and knowledgable especially when it came to recommending things to do in the area.
Breakfast was good, brilliant selection ranging from cooked (e.g sausage and scrambled egg) to continental (e.g. Cereal, toast, yogurts) all of which included unlimited hot drinks and juice. Like the way they leave you to make your own selection and its all included in the price.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple