“Excellent surprise”

Holiday Inn Express Taunton M5 Jct 25
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stopping here with a coach full of friendly people for overnight stay to visit Dunster Christmas Event, was a really excellent surprise . Rooms spacious and very clean. Small bar coped very well with sudden influx of weary travellers from Essex. Breakfast although choice limited was very good.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 December 2013

This was due to be my second stay here, but more about that later, my first stay was a pleasure - friendly and efficient staff, comfortable and clean rooms, free wifi, bar and a pub nearby for meals.
Everything was perfect and I had no problems, and would certainly be happy to stay again.

Sadly my second visit was to be less impressive, upon checking in at 9pm after a normal days work followed by a 5 hour drive to get there, me and my colleague were informed they didn't have the two rooms we'd booked the week before, only one large family room, now it was a big room, but we book separate rooms because we want separate rooms. So they offered us a choice, share the room or one move to another hotel, not acceptable says we, we are in one car so we both need to move to the other hotel. So we chose the other hotel 15mins, just one junction northwards up the M5, well what a favour they did us moving us to the excellent Walnut Tree in North Pellerton, see my review of that hotel, but we were so impressed we stayed there for the second night of our trip rather than move back to the Holiday Inn.

I believe the Holiday Inn handled the situation in the best way they possibly could have, but they should never have caused the problem in the first place, I've heard of airlines overbooking, but a hotel too? Anyways they paid for our first night at the Walnut, which was an excellent hotel and would have been able to offer us our two rooms on the second night, but we had other ideas about that.

So in short, it's a good place with good staff and when things go wrong they will do their best - but I recommend they make more effort to avoid that necessity.

My ratings reflect my original trouble free stay to provide anyone reading this with a genuine idea of the place.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Warm welcome on arrival and also on departure,,Clean comfortable room possibly the most efficient and friendly Hotel I have stayed in ...Breakfast simple but hearty , Evening meal taken 20 yards away at the Harvester again 1st rate .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2013

excellent value for money. room very fresh and comfortable. reception friendly and breakfast satisfactory. we paid £45 and constitute great VFM.

clearly it is not central but there is a restaurant across the road and a curry house 10 mins walk away.

all in all a good find

Room Tip: tricky to actually get into
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stay at this hotel frequently when travelling in my job and have always had excellent stays. Staff are always very welcoming and check in is fast and efficient and stay are very friendly. Rooms are exactly what you need, comfy bed, plenty of plug sockets etc, etc. Free WiFi is a real selling point and does help to keep me returning as other budget hotels will charge.
Breakfast is simple and does exactly what it says on the tin. Depending on what time you visit can affect how fresh the food is but still of good quality.
All in all great service and a great place to stay for business.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We were traveling to Devon for my daughters wedding from Derby and thought this would be the ideal place to stay for the, night. So we could wake up fresh the day for the wedding the next day.
My wife and I stayed in room 033, and my son in room 035. These rooms overlooked the main entrance and smoking area.
We got woken up at 12.55am by shouting and loud laughter. This was a group of people being dropped of by a mini bus.
I thought wrongly that would be the last of the noise, and got back to bed.
But I was so very wrong. At 1.30am we got woken up, the same group were out outside the window smoking, shouting and laughing very loud. I got back down again. But at 2.00am, 3.00am and 4.00am they were outside again smoking and being very noisy.
Finally we were woken up again by loud laughter, I had, had enough, I decided to go and sleep in my car. Passing reception a noisy group were sitting around the bar. It was now 5.00am.

This bad experience has totally put me off ever using Holiday Inn again.

The smoking area needs moving away from the main reception entrance.

Room Tip: Refuse the rooms that are near reception.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Stephen J
TauntonManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Taunton M5 Jct 25, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear Stephen

Thank you for your review of the hotel and I am sorry for the issues that occurred during your stay.

I am pleased we have now been able to resolve this issue for you and we look forward to seeing you again soon at the hotel. Here in Taunton we are passionate about customer service and I was very concerned to hear of the problems that you encountered and how we let you down. I hope on your next visit we can restore your faith in us.

Looking forward to seeing you again

Robert Holmes

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We had a one night stay at this hotel and our welcome at reception was efficient, informative and friendly. Our room was very clean, had good working facilities and very comfortable beds!
We had our dog with us and were even given a ground room to facilitate ease of access. The
'free' breakfast is more than adequate with enough choice and quality. Also reception area has a bar with snacks available- very nice after along drive to be able to have a relaxing drink on arrival unlike any other places we have used.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple