“One of the better places”

The Castle at Taunton
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Situated right in the town centre, but its not noisy. Small free carpark but plenty of staff to help you park and move your bags to your room. Its a real castle and the character seeps through. The room was OK, it had a bath, it was warm and was quiet. However, the small single bed had an arrangement of covers made of materials that appear to be designed to slide off in the night. I like a duvet.

1. I'd be tempted to eat out, the evening meal wasn't that great. The cheese board disappointed most.
2. I like the snooker room. Made me feel good, like I was lord of the manor, rather than a low life, the feeling I get playing in the usual clubs.
3. Don't be alarmed if you think someone has been through your room when you get back, someone has, they come in and turn down your bed covers.
4. The museli at breakfast really is the best I've ever tasted. They say its their own recipe, but they should make more of a deal about it. The rest of the breakfast was good.
5. Colleagues also staying had a double bed room but said it was too small for two people.
6. The meeting room was the penthouse and had great views.

If I go back to the centre of Taunton I'd stay in the Castle again for £70. I don't know why I'm not giving it a 5.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank GlyderFawr

Reviewed 12 January 2012

My husband treated me to an overnight stay at The Castle.

The building itself is an absolute stunner and is situated right in the middle of the town, near some great pubs, restaurants and the excellent Museum of Somerset.

The staff at reception were all really friendly and helpful. All I would say is that the hotel owners are really missing a trick with the decor of their rooms!! We were given a fabulously enormous room (practically a suite) but the decor was very dated and slightly shabby. It would not take much to whisk this otherwise fantastic place into the 21st century! Swap the moth-eaten blanket on the bed for a fresh duvet, get rid of the polystyrene ceiling tiles in the bathroom, replace the two broken tiles on the floor, sort out the artwork on the Walls (they are very random and cheaply framed- they bring the room down badly!)
Small details, but I think it would make a big difference.
Otherwise though, a great, relaxing stay.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Growlinglucifer
Reviewed 1 January 2012

I do in fact live only 9 miles from Taunton but decided to stay in town and have a few drinks one night. So I checked my Booking.com app on my iPhone and saw a single room that night for £63. I went into the hotel and the [rather abrupt] receptionist said that she would honour that rate, which felt like more of a begrudging favour than it truly was.

I checked in and went out on the town for what turned out to be a very dull night (well it was a Tuesday - I'm a silly boy sometimes). I returned at about 1230am to find a familiar face at the reception; a former colleague of my student job at ASDA! He served me a much needed brie and cranberry toastie and not so much needed single malt (there were more after that). After an hour or so and a lovely chat I retired to a room that was more than ample in size and comfort. With period lead lined windows and plush carpets, this room was very nice.

I had a beautiful hot shower and got into my sumptuous single bed.

Verdict: Well worth a night or two - girls on reception need polishing.

Room Tip: Get on Booking.com or similar and get a deal!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank thomaszabbott
Reviewed 20 December 2011

I stayed here with a group of friends, celebrating a reunion. The welcome was splendid, e.g. as the car park is small and I had to leave the car in front of the garage, one of the staff offered to park it correctly for me when a space came available - properly done and no problems. NB: being able to park in the centre of town for free was especially appreciated. The hotel building is rambling and access to some rooms is tortuous, but once there they are comfortable and well-equipped. As a group, we had dinner in the hotel itself, rather than in Brazz - good, but we had to choose our dishes before arrival, which was not ideal. Many of our group like real ales, so we preferred the pub nearby to the hotel bar. One attraction next to the hotel is the Taunton museum, which should not be missed - and entry is free!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 November 2011

A real 'character' hotel which is quite unusual for a centrally located four-star. Quite a different experience from a bland chain. The double rooms are very spacious and well fitted out. Everything was very clean and in good working order. One of the most comfortable beds I've slept in. The car park is small but free. Staff were friendly and efficient. It's not particularly cheap given that it's not in a big city location but still offers value, especially if booked through a late booking site.

Room Tip: Try to get a front-facing room and opt for a 'double' if you can.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank PhilofEnglandLondon
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I can imagine that young folk used to staying at chain hotels probably don't find the Castle to their taste and yes it's lost its excellent hotel restaurant and yes the car park is not very good and yes the single rooms are quite small. However it can still show the hotel chains a thing or two when it comes to hospitality. One feels staff really care and the general ambience generates a feeling of calm and relaxation . The room I stayed in was simply furnished but very adequate with a comfortable bed and an excellent bathroom. Dinner in Brazz was very enjoyable and very good value indeed (try ordering before 7pm to get a cheap but good menu).

All in all I still like the hotel but feel that Mr Chapman needs to stop relying on the past reputation and to invest in continuous refurbishement and to rebuild an image which is more current but retains the best of the Castle's traditions. Complacency will drive this hotel out of business. For instance do we really want sheets and blankets in this day and age (nice that someone turns the sheets down in the evening but the resource cost wouid be better spent on livening up some of the decor).

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Back in the days of Garry Rhodes and then Phil Vickery this was the place to eat around Taunton. But now I find it all has disappeared The Garden suite was still lovely but has not been looked after or updated.
The food in the Brazz was poor and very uncomfortable both cramped and noisy. Trying to get a drink in the hotel bar you need the patients of a saint, and then to pay those prices.
The Staff were very friendly and helpful. Terrible Car Park but that has always been a problem. I do think the Hotel has lost its way or the owner are short of money.

Room Tip: Whilst I would not recommend this hotel any more the garden suites are the rooms to book
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple