Hotel right in the middle of town, and with the bonus of having free parking.
Very nice friendly welcome from staff, and our dog was offered a bowl of water.
Lovely wide staircases to each floor, with grand furniture and large displays of beautiful fresh Lilly's. Lift available too.
Our superior room was set quite a distance from reception, through different corridors, which was the only problem, as we had our dog with us, and was a bit of a nuisance when she wanted to go out late at night or early morning!
The room was very good. Large comfy bed, tv with basic channels, tea and coffee, fresh or uht milk, only 1 packet of biscuits, hair dryer, towelling bath robes, shampoo and shower wash, turn down service, but no chocolate on the pillow! Free Wifi. The only comments I have is that I felt cold at night as there was only 1 blanket on the bed and a throw rather than a duvet which I would have preferred, and for our first night we had to share 1 bath and hand towel. We were tucked away in a corner so didn't experience the noise from other rooms that other reviewers have mentioned.
Breakfast was the best I have had at a hotel for a long time, and the awards they have won are well deserved! Where possible the food is locally sorced and organic, and a lot of the choices are homemade, such as the Museli, jams, marmalade and bread. Choice of porridge, kippers, smoked haddock and poached/ fried eggs to order, and other cooked items to help yourself to such as bacon, wonderful sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes, scrambled egg, all fresh and warm. Pastries, croissants, fruit salad, yoghurts and tasty fruit juices.
There is a very good bar area with plenty of seating and cosy alcoves.
I would definitely recommend this lovely hotel for a city stay or for exploring the area.
Watch out for the feral cats living in the wisteria outside!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Castle at Taunton, your hotel in the heart of Somerset. Whether you are exploring the finest landscapes of England's West Country, seeking a wedding or conference venue or looking for fun and exciting holiday activities for the entire family - The Castle Hotel offers unrivaled accommodation with plenty of warm, friendly hospitality to make your West Country business or pleasure visit memorable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Castle at Taunton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Castle At Taunton Hotel Taunton
- The Castle Hotel Taunton
- The Castle Taunton
- The Castle At Taunton Somerset