“my stay”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Swansea, United Kingdom
“my stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

we stayed at the castle hotel and were amused by its perfectly in keeping old fashioned decor and it was spotlessly clean. my complaints are thus: it is a very old hotel with beautiful old non double glazed windows! the problem with this you may ask? they have delivery vans from 6.30 in the morning taking lass recycling(im sure you can imagine the noise and there is a NEXT arround the corner that they deliver the crates at this time also. just as i was dropping back off to sleep the refurbishment of the square outside started at 7.45 where they were cutting concrete slabs, etc beeping lorries. i spoke to staff and said they should have a warning of possible noise on their website as i would not have stayed in such an expensive hotel had i been aware i would have no rest

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Castle Cary, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

Last week a friend, having seen afternoon teas advertised on their website, booked for three of us as a girlie birthday treat. As we arrived in the lovely old building we were met by the duty manager(perhaps) and told tea was on it's way and ushered us into the modern bar area- all purple retro and tub chairs, probably pleasant enough for a drink, but certainly not for the old fashioned afternoon tea we were expecting. There was plenty to eat, but little finesse and little choice of cakes- a square lump of sponge and a slice of walnut loaf. We were not given a choice of tea(as advertised) it just arrived. We rather felt that doing tea was a bit of a nuisance. When asked if all was OK, my friend passed on her disappointment, that what was supposed to have been a real treat, was just a very ordinary experience. Even the napkins were cheap paper ones- we thought he might have bought us proper ones after it was pointed out. His excuse was that some staff were off sick and the kitchen was closed - not our problem. To our amazement no discount was offered on payment. Buck up Castle Hotel, people who book your advertised tea are people who want a treat and are willing to pay for good service, not paper napkins on low tables in a bar.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
14 Thank AnnababySomerset
Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

I used this hotel for business purposes and it is in an ideal location within a few minutes walk of the city centre. The Castle is literally what it says - a castle. This is a 4 star hotel with all the facilities and creature comforts that you would expect.

The bedroom was clean and comfortable and the Wi-Fi worked fine which is important if you are on a business trip. When I visited there was quite a lot of building work going on both in the car park and in the main square beyond the hotel. Whilst this does not interupt sleep it does make parking up a little tricky when there are only limited spaces.

Breakfasts were excellent and the staff were friendly and helpful. I would have no hesitation in recommending this for business travellers although I suspect it is equally if not more inviting for couples given the atmoshpere of a real castle with interior design and stylish elegance to match.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

I booked this hotel based on its centrality and the decent reviews on this site. The building is an historic building with a lovely ivy-covered facade, and offers free parking for guests. A little disappointed with my room - it was a true 'single occupancy' room with a single bed suitable really only for a child. It was narrow and looked to be furnished with a curious assortment of mismatched furniture. Not a room I wanted to spend any time in at all. Dinner was good - the restaurant is all modern and funky decor if that's your cuppa. Food and service both good, as was breakfast the following morning. Okay for a business hotel I guess but unlikely I'd return for a break.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ChrisNLondon
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

I had my wedding reception at The Castle Hotel on the 30th of June and I cannot express how wonderful it was. The Castle staff were very helpful and friendly. Everything I asked for was done straight away and the staff helped me to set up the night before even at midnight searching for safety pins. The hotel was very organised and everything ran like clockwork. When they didnt have my guests favourite drink they went to Brazz to get it for them. They really made my guests, my husband, and I feel at home.

The food was outstanding! The canapes, 3 course meal and evening buffet were all exceptional. All our guests finished their food and commented on how good it was.

Our room was big and very comfortable. Very clean and decorated well. We were here on a saturday night, looking out at the street and we didnt hear any noise at all. We couldnt hear the other rooms either and slept very well in the huge, comfy bed. The breakfast was good, even for a fussy vegetarian like myself.

We will definately be returning to the castle hotel to stay for a night or two. We have already returned for a drink and snack in the bar area. I highly recommend this hotel, especially as a wedding venue.

Room Tip: The garden rooms are larger and have a nice view of the garden.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ssmcgurk
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012 via mobile

I was on business for one night in Taunton & this hotel looked the best option. From the outside & through to the reception it looks very pretty & quaint. I checked in at 7pm & needed some help with my luggage due to a bad back. I was told to 'go for a drink' as it would take 20mins for my luggage to be taken to my room & for it to be ready. This wasn't ideal as I'd travelled up from London & wanted to chill out. To make matters worse, the drink was norton the house...

I was impressed by the Molten Brown products in the reception toilets & disappointed that it was an unheard of makes products in the room. I had booked a standard double, it was quite big, all very flowery & twee with a big bed & sofa. The room was clean but had no air con & a big freestanding fan was unsightly.

The bed was comfy but the walls were very thin. I could hear next doors TV & mobile phone which prevented me having a good nights sleep. I had a view of scaffolding so kept my twee curtains shut.

I dined alone in the restaurant, sadly the new restaurant was finished but not yet open. I was surprised that prices were London prices, sirloin steak & chips with peppercorn sauce £21 & it was very fatty. The peppercorn sauce was not good, very sweet (and £1.50 extra) & I had an upset stomach the next morning which I can only think was due to the sauce as I hadn't eaten anything else.

There was no-one in the bar for 90% of the evening, where do the guests go? So I ate & went straight to bed.

Based on my dining experience I didn't have breakfast in the hotel went to Cafe Nero instead.

The staff were pleasemt enough & yes for a night away on business it was OK, but I wouldn't go for pleasure.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Evitaesther123
somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

32 of us went to the castle hotel for our daughters 21st birthday.The staff and waiters were 1st class and nothing was too much trouble ,we were treated like royalty.The food was superb and people were saying its the best roast beef meal they,ve ever had.In the morning we phoned to see if two more of our family could join us, this was done with absolute minimum fuss.Many thanks to the castle hotel for helping us have such a great day.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family