“Blissful wisteria covered Battlements”

The Castle at Taunton
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
london
“Blissful wisteria covered Battlements”
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We have stayed at The Castle hotel on several accassions and have always found the staff warm friendly and welcoming .
The service is outstanding at all times nothing is too much for staff throughout the Hotel and Restaurants ,
The food in both Restaurants is excellent just to mention Gary Rhodes started his career at the Castle Hotel AA did a few other famous Chefs.
The location is perfect - you are in the middle of Taunton - Historic Taunton all you have to do is wonder about this charming town.
So do go and experience The Lovely Castle Hotel covered in Wisteria a charming delightful hotel , with The Best Food in Town.
The owner Kit Chapman and his Wife Louise are the warmest welcoming people you could come across which spills over into their chaing manager and staff not forgetting their son a very talented chef.
Very high standard in every detail ,

• Stayed October 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2012 via mobile

Fab setting and historic buildings. English charm in decor. Service at reception made me feel unwanted ( was this because I was paying cheap deal for late room?). Reception on phone when I arrived- fair enough- saw me finished phone call and made another that could easily have been postponed. After a busy day this not what I wanted.

Went to room. Ok a bit dated but fine. However went to bathroom to freshen up (nice overall) there was some hair on the sink. Not a lot but it wasn't mine ! Yuk.

Finally wanted a cup of tea before going out, went to the kettle & mug and it was still tea stained from another time!!! How basic is that. Yuk

Slept well, nice shower early checkout as in rush - slow because they had no paper to print out invoice! Not expecting guests to check out in the morning????

Do they not think in this place?

I can't understand how it is in top guides other than for its location & decor.

This was a balanced review not a rant. If I had filled it in on the day it might be different. I did feedback to reception face to face before I left.

GW 11 oct

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank GWsaltford
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We had our Wedding Evening Party at the Castle and the service we received from Marc,Aimee and the team was second to none.Right from the off set with the initial plans we found we had the best service and we knew we had chosen the right place we needed to make our evening special.On the night the food and service were excellent and lots of our guests are still talking about the food now!
We wouldn't hesitate to visit again,we will be back.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2012

All the guests thought the stay at The Castle was excellent and we were very well looked after.

The dinner in the Wisteria Room was very well managed and the food and service outstanding.

I am sure we’ll all be back there soon.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank S D
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel will approximately 70 other people and we do not have a bad word to say. the food was 5*. the service was excellent from the moment we arrived and continuously throughout the weekend. I could not rate this hotel more highly. the rooms are spotless and very spacious!! each room is unique, the beds are extremely comfortable and quite possibly the biggest bed I have ever slept in!! there is free wifi, the breakfast is delicious. in one word this hotel is FANTASTIC

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank smh82
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We had a very comfortable 3 days yet again at this hotel .The new Castle Grill is excellent but is only open certain evenings.We did not have breakfast as at £15 per head we considered this expensive so went across the road to The County Stores and ate a full Engglish breakfast one morning {the day we were travelling}which was excellent at half the price.We can also recommend their scrambled eggs on toast!

The Castle provided internet only in the bedrooms ;they do not have a public computer service available .A draw back in this day and age we felt as for once we had no laptop with us.
The hotel is very charming with most helpful staff but it does need money spent updating the decor.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
surrey
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Travelling alone to the west country to join friends I was looking for an overnight stop on the way in order to arrive reasonably fresh.
I made a booking without checking the latest reviews as my wife and I had enjoyed previous stays
and found the rooms very comfortable and the food first class, but then there was a Michelin star
nailed to the door and we had executive accommodation. This time the only room available on the night was a standard single, I decided that since it was only for a night I'd take a chance-then I read the reviews!
I arrived expecting the worst and, sure enough there was a single cell on the second floor overlooking the car park and some very loud looking boozers opposite.
The deal I had was on a b&b basis with a two course dinner in their new Castle Grill restaurant
for £99 - on the whole not bad - I would certainly never had paid the rack rate for that room!
I was absolutely starving when I got there after a fairly long drive and asked to trade my "Grill"
arrangement for an earlier meal in their "Brazz" diner, not much to write home about,but I did find the staff to be most pleasant and helpful as, indeed, was the receptionist on check-in.
It was my lucky night, I heard no noise from the pubs opposite despite it being a warm night,Taunton must be skint! I spent a comfortable night despite the compactness of it all and my alarm call happened on time in the morning.
Breakfast was excellent, my poached eggs were perfect and the haddock was perfectly timed
and the general buffet spread was pretty good. The waitress-or whatever they are called nowadays-assured me that the breakfast chef takes great pride in his produce. This is great,because not all hotels seem to grasp the importance of a good breakfast, it is the parting shot of the experience.
My overall experience wasn't bad at all but I think this company could do with spending a bit of money upstairs if they wish to rescue their reputation for quality, which they held for decades.
Things are getting a bit frayed at the edges and this is always sad to see.

Room Tip: Avoid the singles,try to get some kind of deal.