“Very grumpy barman”

The Castle at Taunton
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Very miserable barman served us for morning coffee. Really didn't want to serve us, when we asked if they sold pastries he said well yes but you'll have to pay for them! Really poor attitude...wouldn't go there again.

• Stayed: August 2013
6  Thank Ljs23

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We had an overnight stay at the Castle last weekend on our way back from visiting Devon. We loved its central location - right in the heart of Taunton next to the Somerset County Museum, just a stone's throw from the shops and a couple of minutes' stroll from the River Tone. The Castle frontage was beautifully framed by carefully pruned wisteria from top to bottom. The main hall of the Castle was very traditional in design, as you'd expect, and featured a vast and quite stunning wooden staircase. Our room was clean and comfortable, but a little in need of some 21st century attention - cracked floor tiles in the bathroom, squeaky wardrobe doors that didn't shut properly and old-fashioned sockets that didn't take a standard 3-pin plug - but since we'd booked to bring our dog with us, it's possible that we were allocated a basic room (which is fair enough - dogs can be unpredictable in that sort of situation!). We ate dinner and breakfast in the Brazz restaurant and were very impressed by the attentive, friendly and efficient staff and also by the quality of the menu/food, with its emphasis on seasonal and locally sourced ingredients (my 'pulled lamb' dish was especially fab). One small niggle - whilst we quite liked the Brazz's contemporary design, we did wonder whether it could pay greater homage to the Castle's long and distinguished history. We would definitely book to go back to the Castle, perhaps next time without the dog!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vivien H
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This was just a stop on our way to Cornwall and other more 'desirable destinations' but I am glad we decided to stop here. This hotel is impressive and very old, at least by my standards!

The staff were all really friendly and our room was comfy enough, though I'm not really a fan of florals it certainly isn't as bad as some of the other reviews have made it out to be. I can see why it has been around for such a long time. It's really got charm and something special.

We like to stay in places that aren't the usual drab hotel chain types. And this is definitely not one of those. I would highly recommend it. Breakfast room was a little weird to look at but the food made up for it - very good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Stayed here for a hen weekend a couple of weeks ago. We were upgraded to room 11, which I assume is the honeymoon suite. Lovely room! Try and get it if you can. Lovely setting, particularly for a group, with a lovely breakfast. Didn't eat in the restaurant, but it looked nice and has a good reputation. However, I will just mention that we ruled this venue out for our wedding because of the name of the restaurant "Brazz", which I thought was tacky!! Probably silly, but thought I would mention it as I had only seen the hotel on the Internet and when I actually went there last week I was surprised that it was tasteful as I had a different impression from the name of the restaurant. Probably just me...!

Room Tip: Room 11 is very nice!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The entrance and stairway felt like a castle--which was why we came. The rooms were comfortable in a traditional way. The rather more modern Brazz restaurant served good, locally sourced food. The Castle's central location gave us the chance to visit Taunton at a relaxed pace.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Visited the Bow Bar during a shopping trip to Taunton. The barman who was called Graham was very attentive and professional. He provided a very good service and was very helpful,when asking him some questions about Taunton.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Beryl F
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We visited The Castle on the bank holiday weekend after getting a good deal online and we weren't disappointed.

My Husband and I had a superior room which was a good size, nicely decorated and very clean. My inlaws had a standard room but were very happy with theirs which was slightly smaller.

The staff were friendly, the food in Brazz was excellent (shame about the service).

The hotel was almost deserted, which was a bonus for us after seeing some reviews of wedding weekends!

Only irk was that after dinner drinks were all but impossible as we couldn't find anyone to serve us.

Room Tip: Great last minute deals for room upgrades which were almost same price as standard.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple