“Paying to park in their carpark! Bit of an insult!”

The Castle at Taunton
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Excellent service, the building well maintained, food and staff great , but an insult having to pay to use their private carpark! This really left a bitter taste, as we couldn't fault the hotel itself.

Room Tip: You have to pay to park!
1  Thank DebandCarl

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We use this Hotel a lot as the standards are always excellent. The rooms are superb and the facilities excellent too. Staff here always ready to serve and make sure you get what you want when you need it. Go on, spoil yourself!

Room Tip: Rooms to the front of the Hotel are slightly quieter
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The staff in this hotel are the best part of the stay as they are good humoured, informative and nothing was too much trouble. Ten out of ten for customer services. The room was absolutely great as far as the size, very generous with a huge bathroom. Great towels and robes, a fabulous bath followed by lounging getting ready for a party in the evening. But the carpet in the room was scorched in two places, someone had placed a hot iron on the floor and another scorched area that looked like the victim of hair straighteners. The floor boards creaked so badly that I woke my husband when I went to the loo during the early hours .... and finally we were not able to get a drink at the bar on return from the party as the bar was out of bounds due to the potential for noise disturbing guests sleeping above. The building is beauiful and truly historic, but our room overlooking the high street was a bit tired and dated. Didn't have breakfast I'm afraid as opted for room only, but at £125 for the room I thought it was not very good value - sorry.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I remember the Castle from times past when I was often in taunton on business but it was beyond my company budget. I was surprised to find it on offer by the corporate booking company that books hotels for my current employer as often the hotels offered leave a lot to be desired. I was not at all disappointed and will stay again if lucky enough to get the opportunity. A class above chain hotels.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We’re both getting on and the comfort and luxury of the hotel remains excellent. It’s a great hotel to come home to. But, since the old restaurant closed some years back, the Grill replacement just doesn’t have the ambience we look for. The quality of the food was absolutely excellent and I cannot fault the dinner. But, the restaurant is a contemporary minimalist creation, which is bland, cold and echoing. Not the kind of dining room we are looking for, and is totally out of character with the hotel. Oh please bring back the old dining room!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Having been to the Castle before, we knew we would be happy, but this weekend was simply the best, gorgeous room (queen size bed) room service excellent , reception staff smashing , and Brazz , well what can I say yumm .A great way to spend a weekend for my big 50 .thankyou:)

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Marc M, General Manager at The Castle at Taunton, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Ruth H

Thank you for the great review and for choosing to celebrate you birthday with us at The Castle.

Best regards

Marc

Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

I usually stay in Yeovil but fancied something different. Booked this hotel expecting a lot more, it's more expansive than I usually pay and offers a lot less value for money than I'm used too. Hotel looks impressive inside and out but the rooms are very basic. Dated (but I suppose expected), rooms where good size, very clean. Could do with a spruce up. Tea making facility could be a little better, shower was warm and powerful, toiletries where minimal but ok. Bed was two singles pushed together so you can't sleep in the middle anyway as there's a ridge. Breakfast at Brazz was very nice and prob the best but about the hotel, lots of variety, good food, lots of choice continental or cooked. Overall hotel was ok but not impressive. For the price I paid I expected more. Never the less it's a good central location near restaurants and and shops, unfortunately I won't be retuning at that price.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Shauns_Holidays

Dear Shauns_Holidays

Thank you for your mixed review. We will discuss the points you have raised at our next management meeting. I am not sure what price you paid but we are running some great deals at the moment which offer great value for money.

Best regards