“Hot hot room”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Hot hot room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is certainly impressive from the outside and the public areas look nice, however like many reviews have stated, parts (but not all) of the hotel has had better days. Nothing I saw was bad, but improvements could be made. Some carpets are a bit worn.

The rooms were pleasant and well decorated. The bed, comfortable.

However, it was horrendously hot. I asked if the room could be made cooler and was told there was a desk fan. Admittedly, once I had opened the window and placed the fan on the sill, the room did cool to tolerable levels. However, I would of hoped to have been offered a different room. On checkout, the receptionist did say the rooms in the area I was in (Room 80 - overlooking the back part of the building) could get quite warm as "there is no air conditioning in that area". I don't know if that means there is air con in some rooms. Worth asking.

In some hotels an desk fan is fine but not in a hotel which has four stars.

I may stay there again as otherwise, the stay was pleasant enough, and if I do, I will request a cooler room!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Marc M, General Manager at The Castle at Taunton, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear DrPaulT

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry about the issues with your room temperature. Rooms at the front of the hotel are generally cooler during the summer months. If you contact me before your next stay I will make sure that you get allocated one of those rooms. I hope to see you back soon.

Marc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed at the Castle for our anniversary two years ago, and had a fantastic stay. The food was absolutely amazing, and we haven't stayed anywhere as nice since, so we decided to return for our anniversary this year. Had I written a review after our first visit, it would have been a five star one, but unfortunately people are much more likely to post a review if there's something they don't like, and I guess that goes for us as well...

We had a lovely stay, the food was perhaps not quite as good as it was two years ago, but we still loved it, and our room was beautiful - really couldn't fault it. Until we went to check out that was. We were presented with our bill, and on there was a £5 charge for parking! We queried it, saying that surely that couldn't be right, as we had stayed in the hotel overnight. We didn't pay for parking last time we stayed, and nobody had mentioned a parking charge when we arrived. We were then told that as the public car park nearby had recently closed, they had to start charging for parking. We really couldn't see the logic in charging staying guests for parking because of this, but we paid and left with a bit of a sour taste in our mouths, after an otherwise lovely stay. We then pulled out of the car park, and saw a notice that said that parking is £5 to residents, but free to anyone else who spends £10 in the bistro! We just couldn't believe it - having spent over £100 in their bistro during the previous evening, we were still charged for parking, but anyone else could walk in, have a couple of coffees and park for free!

If there really is a need to generate additional revenue from the car park, then surely this should be built in to the room rate, and not just slapped on the bill without mentioning it at check in, that is just the perfect way of winding your guests up. I realise it's just £5, but it's a matter of principle, and instead of now thinking about rebooking for our anniversary next year, we have instead vowed not to return again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank miasta
Drear Miasta

Thank you for your review. We do charge £5 for secure over night parking. I am very sorry if this was not communicated to you. It is usually included with all our confirmations. I would hate to see you not return. Perhaps you could contact me at the hotel so that we can discuss it further.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

How sad, The Castle is a superb old building, it is now in great need of a professional company to take it over and spend money on it. Tired, springs to mind. Stepping into our bedroom took us back to the seventies. The black and white tiles on our bathroom floor were badly cracked and broken and there was only one towel. The furniture and decoration was, well, bad. The information 'pack?' was so amateurish as to be laughable. The previous night we had stayed at the Royal Marriott in Bristol, same price, no comparison... none at all.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ms_B_Itch
Dear Ms_B_Itch

Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincerest apologies for your disappointing stay. If you contact me at the hotel I would be happy to discuss your comments in more detail.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I booked for 8 of us to go to the Castle Hotel for afternoon tea for my sisters birthday. The afternoon tea itself was fantastic and brilliant value for money. It was one of the cheaper afternoon tea's i found in Somerset at £14.95 per person and they offered a great selection of sandwiches, cakes and desserts. Make sure you're hungry when you go as it's all very filling. The hotel itself is beautiful and it felt like a real afternoon of luxury on a very affordable budget. We'll definately be going again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Marc M, General Manager at The Castle at Taunton, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Alex H

Thank you for such a great review. I am delighted that your sister's birthday afternoon tea was such a success. I hope you pop in and see us again the next time you are in Taunton.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

We had the pleasure of dining this evening at The Castle Hotel Bar and Grill. It's was simply superb. The newly refurbished Bar and Grill is elegant, and modern still retaining an feeling of prestige. The food was quite simply exquisite. The front of house team were professional friendly and highly skilled. Many feel the hotel is purely for a special occasion however the prices are reasonable in comparison to the local market. Why anyone would choose to eat in a chain restaurant based in the town above this is beyond me. I cannot rate it highly enough. We should be proud to have such a wonderful hotel located in the town and I for one shall be also popping to the Bar for a light lunch soon which is also offered. Definitely visit and you won't be disappointed.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Chantal W

Thank you for the great review and highlighting our very reasonable prices. I look forward to seeing you the next time you are in.

Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed for one night while on business in the area.
The hotel is in an old castle building in the town centre and has an historic atmosphere.
The room was nice and clean, with a comfortable bed and ok furniture, although the bathroom was slightly worn (loose floor tiles).
The old windows couldn't shut out the noice from the pub across the square until it closed.
Plus for a flat screen tv with quite good selection of channels, and free high capacity wifi.
The selection of breakfast spreads could be more varied, with for instance some sliced ham and salami sausage.
Both the reception and breakfast room staff were professionally courteous.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors, to reduce noice from the outside.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Maddawg01

Thank you for posting a positive review and for pointing out the issues with the tiles on the bathroom floor. The tiles have since been replaced. I hope that you stay with us again on your next visit from Norway.

Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We held our wedding here and it was wonderful. The staff were so helpful right from the start and really made sure everything ran smoothly on the day. Our room (one of the garden rooms) was lovely and overlooked the gardens where we had held our reception the day before. It was lovely to hold our wedding in such a beautiful venue and we are looking forward to staying there again on our anniversary!

Room Tip: The garden rooms are lovely, with a sitting area and dressing table plus large bathroom and a massiv...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Catherine P

Congratulations on your wedding and thank you for posting such wonderful comments about your day in the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back on your anniversary. Be sure to let me know when you are booking so that I can make some special arrangements.