“Loved our stay....”

The Castle at Taunton
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We loved our stay at The Castle. I travelled with my young son and we were made very welcome. All the staff were very attentive. We only ate once but it was delicious. I loved the look of the hotel and the feel when you walked in.
Great central location, perfect for shopping and just a 10 minute stroll to the Cricket Ground.
Weather on our visit was scorching and rooms were warm and the fans were much appreciated.
Will definitely return :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Marc M, General Manager at The Castle at Taunton, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Deegeebee

Thank you for posting such great comments. I look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Went on the 5th of June for a Champagne afternoon tea, which was a present for our anniversary. Told to go to the Bar where we were expected. Have just read Hotels website which states that all afternoon teas are served in the restaurant, I am now wondering why we were not offered this facility? Off going bar man was very good/experienced but new one perhaps a bit less, but still polite. Sandwiches were fresh/nice but had to ask for another plate when the cakes arrived due to them having been used. All very tasty and filling but we were only given one cup of coffee for the entire occasion, surely an offer of a refill( for the price paid) should have been part of the service. Perhaps the manager would care to explain why the afternoon did not live up to our expectations or was not as advertised. Did not feel a complaint was warranted at the time but left dissapointed although with full stomachs!
Unfortunately the " Unique and sophisicated experience" was missing that afternoon, perhaps pfofit margins are more important than customer satisfaction

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Nigelrummery

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry that your afternoon tea was disappointing, If you contact me at the hotel I would love to have the opportunity to make it up to you.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

To be honest, hotels in the UK may be a very mixed experience when it comes to cleaning, but this was a pleasant exception allthough it too stick to that strange British wall-to-wall-carpet tradition. The hotel is a bit old-fashioned, but stays on the charming side. An allways-smiling staff keeps up the good impression.
Any negative? Not much, but you hear everything going on in the corridor.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear JohnLackland01

Thank you for staying with us and posting a positive review.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Hotel is beautiful from the outside and as many have said communal areas are very clean, bar and restaurant spotless and very modern. Room was simple and very clean,nothing to complain about Comfy bed everything you needed but just in need of a little refreshing. Staff were all lovely a great welcome from reception and excellent service and choice for breakfast. All in all a good stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Barry C

Thank you for posting such good comments about the hotel. We all look forward to welcoming you back the next time.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

The hotel is certainly impressive from the outside and the public areas look nice, however like many reviews have stated, parts (but not all) of the hotel has had better days. Nothing I saw was bad, but improvements could be made. Some carpets are a bit worn.

The rooms were pleasant and well decorated. The bed, comfortable.

However, it was horrendously hot. I asked if the room could be made cooler and was told there was a desk fan. Admittedly, once I had opened the window and placed the fan on the sill, the room did cool to tolerable levels. However, I would of hoped to have been offered a different room. On checkout, the receptionist did say the rooms in the area I was in (Room 80 - overlooking the back part of the building) could get quite warm as "there is no air conditioning in that area". I don't know if that means there is air con in some rooms. Worth asking.

In some hotels an desk fan is fine but not in a hotel which has four stars.

I may stay there again as otherwise, the stay was pleasant enough, and if I do, I will request a cooler room!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Marc M, General Manager at The Castle at Taunton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear DrPaulT

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry about the issues with your room temperature. Rooms at the front of the hotel are generally cooler during the summer months. If you contact me before your next stay I will make sure that you get allocated one of those rooms. I hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed at the Castle for our anniversary two years ago, and had a fantastic stay. The food was absolutely amazing, and we haven't stayed anywhere as nice since, so we decided to return for our anniversary this year. Had I written a review after our first visit, it would have been a five star one, but unfortunately people are much more likely to post a review if there's something they don't like, and I guess that goes for us as well...

We had a lovely stay, the food was perhaps not quite as good as it was two years ago, but we still loved it, and our room was beautiful - really couldn't fault it. Until we went to check out that was. We were presented with our bill, and on there was a £5 charge for parking! We queried it, saying that surely that couldn't be right, as we had stayed in the hotel overnight. We didn't pay for parking last time we stayed, and nobody had mentioned a parking charge when we arrived. We were then told that as the public car park nearby had recently closed, they had to start charging for parking. We really couldn't see the logic in charging staying guests for parking because of this, but we paid and left with a bit of a sour taste in our mouths, after an otherwise lovely stay. We then pulled out of the car park, and saw a notice that said that parking is £5 to residents, but free to anyone else who spends £10 in the bistro! We just couldn't believe it - having spent over £100 in their bistro during the previous evening, we were still charged for parking, but anyone else could walk in, have a couple of coffees and park for free!

If there really is a need to generate additional revenue from the car park, then surely this should be built in to the room rate, and not just slapped on the bill without mentioning it at check in, that is just the perfect way of winding your guests up. I realise it's just £5, but it's a matter of principle, and instead of now thinking about rebooking for our anniversary next year, we have instead vowed not to return again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank miasta

Drear Miasta

Thank you for your review. We do charge £5 for secure over night parking. I am very sorry if this was not communicated to you. It is usually included with all our confirmations. I would hate to see you not return. Perhaps you could contact me at the hotel so that we can discuss it further.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

How sad, The Castle is a superb old building, it is now in great need of a professional company to take it over and spend money on it. Tired, springs to mind. Stepping into our bedroom took us back to the seventies. The black and white tiles on our bathroom floor were badly cracked and broken and there was only one towel. The furniture and decoration was, well, bad. The information 'pack?' was so amateurish as to be laughable. The previous night we had stayed at the Royal Marriott in Bristol, same price, no comparison... none at all.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ms_B_Itch

Dear Ms_B_Itch

Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincerest apologies for your disappointing stay. If you contact me at the hotel I would be happy to discuss your comments in more detail.