“Lovely stay”

The Castle at Taunton
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We had a lovely 2 night stay. The rooms were very comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We ate in the Brazz restaurant on the first night and the food was delicious, the service was great. Breakfast was equally as good. The hotel contacted me on our journey home to inform me that I had left my kindle in the room, they posted it the next day. I was very impressed.

Room Tip: Front bedrooms have a great view but there was some noise from local bars.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Marc M, General Manager at The Castle at Taunton, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Blossomchops3

Thanks for your great review. We look forward to seeing you (and your kindle!) back the next time.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I've been visiting Somerset for many years, as I have family living down there, so I feel I know the area well and I've known about the castle hotel for a while as other family members have stayed there. So for the price I paid (£149 + £5 parking) for 1 nights stay without breakfast was extremely disappointing, the room given overlooking the high street was very dated, dull and I'm glad I wasn't in there that long. It reminded me of when I use to visit my grandmother in her old peoples home. The value does not reflect the price and I didn't see anything glamorous or that impressed me that suggested it could. Whilst the staff I dealt with we're pleasant, the management / owners need to address this cost issue.
I feel I've done a fair bit of travelling and it's such a shame that the one hotel I give a poor rating for is in my country.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear buca1uk

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you did not feel your visit offered value for money. We keep our prices as competitive as possible. I am not sure which room you stayed in but we have upgraded several rooms over the summer period. I would be happy to follow up in more detail if you contact me at the hotel.

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Just one night stay, arrived at 6pm parking easy. Reception very welcoming and efficient. Room 81 was allocated to us which was lovely, nice size,comfortable bed, big bathroom all spotless. This room has has 3 windows and all can be opened.... Hooray!! At last a hotel that has fresh air which is very rare these days! Mind you early in the morning you'll sure as hell be woken by seagulls, wow!, what a din!! So be advised to come with your Blunderbuss!!
Breakfast in the BRAZZ was superb, had the huge one with just about the best scrabbled eggs you'll ever taste! We had outstanding service by Becky who obviously was experienced in dealing with fussy customers like us! It's so nice to be served by staff who are so friendly and smile. Thank you all for such a nice stay at this historical hotel.
Of course we'll be back!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Phil1957

Thank you for your glowing review. I will pass your kind comments to Becky. We look forward to seeing you the next time.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had our wedding ceremony, wedding breakfast and reception at The Castle Hotel and it was brilliant.
The food was delicious, service was excellent and we all felt very well looked after.
Anything we asked for, was done instantly.
Thank you for making our special day even more special.
I highly recommend!

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear FloRichard88

Thank you for the great review and for choosing to have your wedding with us in The Castle. Best of wishes for your new life together.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Just an over night stay visiting friends. Single room ok sizewise, double also spacious just sad looking decoration. Hideous yellow/green/blue patterned fabric everwhere... looks very dated. Clean but bathroom needed ceiling repair and also annoying taps that require 3 or 4 turns to get any water flow and slowwwwww filling toilet cisterns. The hotel was difficult to book as it appears to be the only central hotel in Taunton. This seems to give them carte blanche to elevate the price. The double room was on offer (no cancellation/refund allowed) and room only for £160 and I couldnt see the value here. Parking at the hotel overnight is £5. Breakfast was £12.50 for hot breakfast. Last night we had to ask the reception to turn the lights on in the bar so we could sit somewhere other than our rooms or the inhouse brasserie. This request was met with some surprise, and was another example of not feeling welcomed. The hotel has energy saving light bulbs everwhere which whilst being very laudible makes it downright gloomy especially in reception. Looks like they have all left the building! So would we stay again, probably not - the room would be better priced at £120 with breakfast. Next time we will find a hotel out of town and travel in.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank bensunjane

Dear Jane W

Thank you for your review and for bringing several issues to my attention. We have some work to do on the areas that you have mentioned. I will bring it up with the team at our next meeting. Keep an eye out for deals as we do run promotions around the rate you mentioned.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at The Castle Hotel at Taunton just for one night.It was nice to stay in such a historic place. Very tastefully done. Food was very good,a bit unorganised at breakfast but we weren't in any rush so not a problem.We were there for a business meeting & everything ordered, coffee,tea & finger buffet arrived right on time, buffet was delicious. The staff were very helpful at all times. The room was very airy with opening windows, being near the bus depot I thought it may be noisy, but not so. You would never think that you were in the middle of a busy town.Only one little gripe, you couldn't open one of the wardrobe doors very far as the bedside cabinet was in the way, but not really a problem.

Room Tip: We were at the back & it was very quiet, others in the party were at the front & they didn...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Bridget M

Thank you for your great review. We need to sort out that wardrobe. I'll follow up with the team and get it fixed.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My mother and I enjoyed making this hotel our base while we revisited old haunts in the West Country. The route to this old building, full of history, is well sign-posted and the rooms are delightfully furnished and decorated. Our only caveats are 1) the low lighting in the bedrooms making reading in bed difficult, 2) the very hard pillows that definitely need replacing and 3) the lack of fridges in the rooms - though fresh milk and ice are provided free of charge on request. Bedrooms can be a bit noisy due top the clientele at the pub opposite at night and the rubbish collectors in the morning, but this is allieviated if the windows are closed. Breakfast was generous to a fault and there is a choice of venue for other meals: the bar, the brasserie and the restaurant for fine dining, though there is much overlap in the menus. Staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear jughead

Thank you for your "first rate" review. We do have softer pillows available on request. Maybe we need to communicate this more clearly so that everyone is aware of the option. I'll talk to housekeeping about that one. We try and keep deliveries after 9am - sometimes they break the rules...

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.