All reviews the penthouse car park main restaurant high street wisteria room afternoon tea centre of town lovely hotel muesli single room buffet style central location wedding night wedding reception wine list scones main course
Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

Visted castle hotel for a meal with friends.
Lovely old medieval hotel very tastefully done.
Beautiful decorations and toilets were clean and tasteful.
Food was great and good combinations of different wines.
Excellent service and staff very attentive, I would recommend this establishment to anyone.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2018

We stayed at the Hotel on an organised group weekend. When we arrived there was no one in reception and we waited well over 5 minutes for anyone to come. There was no offer of help with luggage.
We could not fault our room which had everything we needed and was spotlessly clean.The downside was that, although it was a very pleasant view over the Green,there was the noise of skateboards during most daylight hours.
The group had quite a nice dinner in a private room but breakfast was a bit of a scrum as it was all buffet, though the quality and choice was good.
They made a mistake about our newspaper order and had the bill wrong when we checked out.
We had heard so much about this hotel that we were a little disappointed.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mary K
Reviewed 26 September 2018

A late arrival but reception were very helpful. The lobby/ reception/ lifts area was a little dated. The room was large and clean but wow it was hot. Breakfast was great (one of the best I've had. Returned in the evening where we had dinner in the bar area. Again very good. All in all an enjoyable stay.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2018

Taunton is, I'm afraid, a bit of a dump, ghastly post-war high street with the best bits being around the castle with its museum and hotel, although even that is spoilt by the unforgivable bulk of the Mecca Bingo hall... really.
The hotel presents an attractive front to the visitor squeezing in to the car park, by the way many reviewers seem to have railed at the imposition of a parking charge here, I didn't particularly mind paying for the convenience of a city centre parking slot. Anyway, checking in was painless with helpful staff much in evidence, in fact everyone was very pleasant all the way through. Our room was of the superior variety in the new block overlooking the main shopping drag. Double glazed to keep out the noise but very warm, even on a wet and blustery September day. In fact we woke in the middle of the night and were so hot we had to put on the air-conditioning which was noisy so we opened the windows instead only to be disturbed by the early morning deliveries, oh well. Nice bathroom with big bath and plenty of space. The room itself was well appointed and it was certainly good to get away from the corporate sameness of many modern hotel rooms but some of the choices re furnishings and fittings really didn't go well together, still better that than bland conformity. Facilities OK but for what we were paying I would have expected, for example, a choice of still or sparkling branded bottled water rather than the two anonymous small glass bottles with a rather bizarre £7.50 price tag should we want to take them away. So nice to be somewhere different and brilliant staff but I think for the price one could have expected a little more polish

• Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank Polyolbion A
Reviewed 17 September 2018

I recently stayed here for 3 nights and was so pleased with my choice of hotel. The Castle Hotel is well appointed and very close to the centre of Taunton, although the gardens are limited in matching up to the hotel's impressive facade. My room was incredibly comfortable and spacious, with a huge wardrobe and god tea and coffee facilities. It was absolutely spotless, and so was the enormous bathroom that I was given, with generous amounts of shelving for my make up and bits and bobs.

Breakfast is served in the more casual of the hotel's two restaurants, and was perfectly adequate. We also ate dinner one evening in the other more formal restaurant, which was excellent. We were all so impressed with the waiting staff's knowledge of all the dishes on the menu - they could explain how everything was prepared and cooked in detail, and we had a fabulous meal served by wonderful staff. We made the most of sampling the wares of the bar, which has a good range of wines and spirits served by a young and helpful barman. I should add that all the staff that I encountered at the hotel were equally friendly and efficient.

I stupidly left some cards (gym membership/Nectar etc.) in my room, and the house-keeping department found them and the receptionists arranged for them to be posted back to me. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again and recommend the hotel to others.

• Trip type: Travelled solo