“Speedy Boarders Lunch”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We have dined at Augustus a few times now. A lovely small restaurant and we are pleased that it has no background music as you can have a nice quiet conversation.
The food was superb and service most attentive. We had the lamb which was a delight to eat. I had the sea bass on a previous visit which was divine. Compliments to the chef and staff. We live 20 miles away from this restaurant and it is the best place to eat when shopping in taunton.

1  Thank speedyboarders

Reviewed 5 October 2011

We'd eaten Richard Guest's food at the Castle hotel on a few occasions and were more than a little unimpressed. We were intrigued to see if things would be much better now that he has gone out on his own, but sadly, it was much the same - even down to the scrambled egg with smoked eel which he'd been turning out at the Castle for what seemed like years. That's not to say the food was bad - not at all - but not amazing.
The restaurant is quite stark - all hard surfaces and chairs, no table cloths. Because of this it was incredibly noisy and quite difficult to have a relaxed conversation with my wife without shouting at her. I would eat there again, for lunch or a pre-theatre quick bite, but not for an evening out and certainly not for a special occasion.
I would say Augustus is a welcome addition to Taunton, but for the money, we were a little disappointed by the overall experience.

3  Thank dominic46
Reviewed 1 October 2011

I have been enjoying Richard Guest food and Cedric service for many years in "The" Taunton landmark hotel , but found that the last few years the whole experience was going down the hill. Thanks God, they took the plunge and open Augustus. Clean, crisp but warm surrounding, very professional service without pomposity, "simple" and creative food so well mastered, I did enjoy every single mouthful and minutes of it. To me Augustus comes ex aequo with Porthminster cafe in St Ives for talented done food with informal but professional service. Thank you

Reviewed 1 October 2011

We managed to get in early without a booking and had very good food with attentive service which was not intrusive at all.

Reviewed 23 September 2011

What else can I say?the place is small but so relaxing.I had spoke with Cedric one of the owners and thank you so much for the evening your service was fantastic and the explanations of wine and food was excellent,very clear.This is the best place in Taunton to have a meal.I'm sure I will be back!