“Really Liked it. Yearned to love it ...”
Review of Augustus

Augustus
Ranked #6 of 269 Restaurants in Taunton
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We chose this restaurant to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

We had never been before: as we bumbled uncertainly in the courtyard the front-of-house person threw the door open and welcomed us in. This set the tone for excellent and attentive service: the two waiters being outgoing and very friendly, the waitress more reserved but also pleasant and efficient. Overall the service could not be faulted.

The restaurant is quote small and the tables quite close together, creating plenty of buzz, as observed by Aart8 in his review. We thought it made for a fun atmosphere,although the staff are clearly conscious of it and suggested that they are trying various things to quieten and cool it. No matter, we liked it!

We wanted to love Augustus but, surprisingly as we used to be fans of The Castle's food, the food let it down a little. My chicken liver parfait was excellent but my wife's crab a bit "meh"; my fish main was fine but the accompaniment of butter beans and chorizo - two of my favourite foods! - was surprisingly bland, and my wife's pigeon was rubbery, with a red cabbage so sweet as to be a little distasteful.

Good desserts and cheese board, and an interesting and quite reasonable wine list.

All in all a lovely evening though, and we'll certainly be giving it another go - with such enthusiasm these guys deserve to make a big success of it.

Reviewed 27 October 2011

Service was excellent. Food was good; even very good for Taunton standards. 2 courses with coffee and 3 classes of wine came to £67 at lunchtime. Tables are close together and it is quite nosy in this very small restaurant but we enjoyed the experience. You feel well catered for and very well looked after.

1  Thank Aart8
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We have dined at Augustus a few times now. A lovely small restaurant and we are pleased that it has no background music as you can have a nice quiet conversation.
The food was superb and service most attentive. We had the lamb which was a delight to eat. I had the sea bass on a previous visit which was divine. Compliments to the chef and staff. We live 20 miles away from this restaurant and it is the best place to eat when shopping in taunton.

1  Thank speedyboarders
Reviewed 5 October 2011

We'd eaten Richard Guest's food at the Castle hotel on a few occasions and were more than a little unimpressed. We were intrigued to see if things would be much better now that he has gone out on his own, but sadly, it was much the same - even down to the scrambled egg with smoked eel which he'd been turning out at the Castle for what seemed like years. That's not to say the food was bad - not at all - but not amazing.
The restaurant is quite stark - all hard surfaces and chairs, no table cloths. Because of this it was incredibly noisy and quite difficult to have a relaxed conversation with my wife without shouting at her. I would eat there again, for lunch or a pre-theatre quick bite, but not for an evening out and certainly not for a special occasion.
I would say Augustus is a welcome addition to Taunton, but for the money, we were a little disappointed by the overall experience.

3  Thank dominic46
Reviewed 1 October 2011

I have been enjoying Richard Guest food and Cedric service for many years in "The" Taunton landmark hotel , but found that the last few years the whole experience was going down the hill. Thanks God, they took the plunge and open Augustus. Clean, crisp but warm surrounding, very professional service without pomposity, "simple" and creative food so well mastered, I did enjoy every single mouthful and minutes of it. To me Augustus comes ex aequo with Porthminster cafe in St Ives for talented done food with informal but professional service. Thank you