This was our 3rd visit to this hotel, and to be honest it will more than likely be our last.
The hotel does seem to have lost its family friendliness and seems more geared to the business traveller now.
On a positive note, we booked early (as during the Easter school holidays) and got a good rate of £79 including breakfast for an executive room. The walk in rate for the same room was £179 which is probably out of most peoples reach, and the executive room is in our opinion nothing special. (room is probably in a better location away from the M5, and a flat screen tv, some water and chocolate, but that's about it.). Holiday Inn do appear to have cut back alot, with high food and drink prices, and no recognition that we were Priority Club members, which seems to be the norm these days when reading other peoples HI reviews. There was also some internal building works going on, but that didn't really affect us.
Also, to charge £5 per hour for wi-fi we feel is a bit mean, perhaps to make it free in the lobby would show some goodwill perhaps ?
The swimming pool was always good, however some areas such as the hot tub were worn, and needed replacing
The room itself was very clean, but compact. With growing children now, I would suggest that the family room would only be suitable for younger smaller children as we did notice how cramped it was on this visit.
Also, the beds were very hard, however the air con worked well.
The morning breakfast was good, with a nice choice of hot and cold foods, with good service.
Overall, a mixed review. I do believe that things at the Holiday Inn are not what they used to be, and if you are not fussed about using the pool, and travelling with family then perhaps stick to the HI Express or Premier Inn.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Taunton in Somerset is ideally located for both business and leisure guests, conveniently located at J25 off the M5, on the edge of Taunton near the Somerset County Cricket Ground. Taunton, nestling on the banks of the river Tone, is the gateway to Devon and half way house to Cornwall. Bridgwater, Wellington and other parts of Somerset are all within easy reach. Nearby attractions are Dartmoor and Exmoor with 14 areas of natural beauty and over 600 miles of dramatic coastline. The Holiday Inn Taunton has a Spirit club with indoor 15 metre swimming pool, sauna, solarium and fully equipped gym.This Somerset Hotel has 99 air conditioned bedrooms including wheelchair accessible rooms and 24 hour room service. Our large lounge area, which serves a wide selection of food and beverages, is ideal for informal meetings or just relaxing. (Under 12s Stay & Eat Free) With 12 conference rooms that can accommodate from 2 - 280 delegates in purpose built air conditioned rooms with high speed internet access suitable for meetings, training, presentations, banquets, weddings, reunions & parties. We also have external team build areas. Holiday Inn Taunton has ample free parking and is suitable for coaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Superbreak UK, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Holiday Inn Taunton M5, Jct. 25 reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Taunton m5, Jct. 25 Hotel Taunton
- Taunton Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Taunton M5, Jct. 25 Somerset