“Smoking Room Booked for Family Stay”

Holiday Inn Taunton M5, Jct. 25
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Smoking Room Booked for Family Stay”
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We recently went to Somerset for a 4 night Priority Club Reward Night stay at the Holiday Inn Taunton, in an Executive Room. On checking in at the hotel on arrival we were notified that we had been allocated a Smoking Room, despite on my confirmation it stated “Non Smoking Priority Club Award Night”. This was a cause for concern as we have two young children, and my husband is asthmatic. The gentleman on reception was surprised that a smoking room had been allocated, and as they had no non smoking rooms available he offered us accommodation at the Holiday Inn Express which was on the other side of the road. He called the Holiday Inn Express and confirmed availability for the 4 nights of our stay.

I was a little disappointed at this as we had stayed in Holiday Inn Express at Kettering the previous evening, and although the facilities were adequate, we had reserved an executive room with a bath, and a few extras for our stay at Taunton.
I went up to the room with the duty manager as I was keen to stay so that we could utilize the on site facilities, swimming pool, restaurant and full breakfast menu. Having been up to the room as soon as you went through the door in to the smoking corridor the smell was overpowering, and I knew that there was no way my husband would be able to stay in the room, or that I would wish to expose my children to the fumes.

When I went back down to reception, I accepted that we should go to the Holiday Inn Express, and asked them to call and confirm our arrival. After a few minutes the gentleman on reception informed us that the room was now only available for 1 night and that the remaining three nights were booked whilst I was looking at the smoking room. It was then offered that if we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for one night and returned to them the following evening they would either have changed us to a non smoking room, or had the original room fogged and the smoke smell removed. I said that we would not be happy in a smoking room even if this was done as there would still be smoking in the corridor, which could make my husband unwell.

We then went to the Holiday Inn Express where we were greeted by a very helpful receptionist who apologized for the problems we had experienced, before showing us to our room. We were given a corner room which was spacious and airy and twice the size of our executive room in the previous hotel.

Having settled in to the room, (although it was not worth unpacking as we would have to move again tomorrow) I went to the reception and was speaking to the receptionist and she asked if we were staying for the 4 nights or just 1. I was a little surprised at her question having just been told by the other hotel that they were now full. She advised me that this was not the case and that the room we were in was available for the 4 nights. I was annoyed at the fact that we has been blatantly mislead. I then called back to the Holiday Inn and spoke to the gentleman on reception and advised him that despite being told that they were full they did have a room available, and that if they were not able to find another room, we would stay in the Holiday Inn Express. I was at this point told that it was against company policy for our stay to be transferred, and that we shouldn’t have been moved to the Express. He told me that as a gesture of goodwill we could stay there that evening and return to them where “they were going to move rooms to get us a non smoking room”. At this point we agreed that we would return after a day out tomorrow to our original hotel on the condition that we would have a non smoking room. I informed the lady on reception that we would only need the room for one night. She confirmed that she had spoken to them and they had informed her that they had a non smoking family room for the remainder of our stay.

After a busy day out we returned to check in at the holiday Inn with a view to swimming before our evening meal. On arrival the receptionist that I had spoken to on the phone the following evening, asked if we had received a telephone call from them today, which I had not. He then handed us over to the operations manager who said that they were not able to move us to a different room and that the room had been fogged and aired. At this point my heart sank. I just wanted to be able to relax and unwind on my holiday. We went up to the room, and although to be fair the room was much fresher, the smell of smoke was still very apparent.

The operations manager came up to the room to discuss the situation further. We informed him that we were still not happy to stay in the room, at which point he said they had no other option available. We asked if we would be able to return to the express or to another hotel nearby, and he said it was unlikely as we were using our points rather than paying for our stay. After pleading with him to see what else we could do, he said he would see if he could transfer our stay to another hotel. We sat in reception with 2 tired children and all out luggage for close to an hour. Whilst we were waiting in reception with our bags in the middle of a wedding reception, the mother of the groom spoke to us, as we were obviously out of place in their group, she was also unhappy and reeled of a list of complaints regarding the hotel.

We kept asking for updates and we were told they had not found an alternative but were still trying. We were again told that the Express Hotel across the road was full. He then came back to say that he had managed to find a hotel that would take us in Plymouth, (1.5 hours away). This was not suitable as we had booked tickets to visit attractions near Taunton. Having been mislead about the availability of the Express the previous night I took my daughter and walked across to the hotel and they still had vacancies which they did.

He then went away, and came back to confirm that we were now able to go to the Express for the remainder of our stay.

Relieved that we could finally unpack, we checked in only to be told that the booking was only for one night, at which point I could have cried. The thought of going through this fiasco every day was awful. While still standing at Reception a booking then came through for the remaining 3 nights, we were very relieved.

We went to our room, and were dismayed to find that we had now been downgraded to a smaller room with one bed and a sofa bed. I went straight back to reception, and they were great. I explained the situation, and that we were in a corner room the previous night, and we had returned on the assumption that we would be in the same room type. She apologized, and gave us a new corner room, which we accepted.
We were treated like second rate customers because we were there on reward nights.
I appreciate that we used points to pay for our stay, but these were accrued over multiple stays, and considerable money spent within the Holiday Inn Group.

We have always stay in Holiday Inns and have always found the facilities and service to be excellent, and have never had cause to complain before, but our holiday was spoiled as a result of dreadful customer service, both at the hotel, and upon making a complaint when we returned home, and I would be reluctant to use them again.

3 Thank yoshi1471
Chris F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Taunton M5, Jct. 25, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
I am so sorry about the problems that occurred with your booking. I do hope that you take us up on our offer some time in the future and we can aim to give you much happier memories of our hotel.

Kindest regards

Chris - General Manager 07736746098
Neil - Operations Manager 07736745998

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I booked a room on the way back from Cornwall for my family. Upon arrival we were greeted in a friendly manner and headed to our room.
We were surprised upon arrival to the room that it was a 'smoking room'. We entered and it stank.
Besides the fact none of us smoke I wasn't prepared to stay with a 6 and 7 year old in a room that felt so smelly upon entry.
Phoning reception we were told it was a smoking room that was requested via central reservations.
I assured them I would never request such a room and it then became clear they did not have a room to move us to. We were informed they could 'fumigate' the room in an hour or so. However I was not prepared to stay there. No matter how tired we were.
Upon returning the key to the desk and being advised we would not be charged the clerk informed us the room is really for four adults and not designed for families.
Well done Holiday Inn. Very dissapointed that we were victims of you trying to up your sales. Certainly left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm now tempted to put a stop on my company using Holiday Inns on business trips abroad.

2 Thank Eddieh71
Chris F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Taunton M5, Jct. 25, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
I am so so so sorry about this. We have a number of room types that can be booked at the hotel, and although I am not certain with whom you have spoken with at our central reservations office - it may be good practice to give us a quick call direct at the hotel on 01823 282600 when you next have a family booking.

We try our best to move rooms on the day when our guests aren't happy with the room they have been allocated, but unfortunately it was not possible on this occassion.

Please call me on 07736746098 to discuss further - I would love for you to come back and make some far better memories of us than you currently have.

By the end of this year I will have converted all my smoking rooms to non smoking rooms to ensure no repeat of any similar inconvenience for my family visitors next year.

Please accept my apologies again - I am truly sorry that you couldn't stay, and I hope to speak with you soon.

Chris

Travellers are raving about these Taunton hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Super friendly helpful staff. Relaxing atmos, lounge/bar area catered for children with games, but also large enough to provide secluded quiet area for catching up with a newspaper. Spotlessly clean and every thing catered for. Hassle free and secure. Spa and swimming pool a real treat. Couldnt ask for anymore.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words.

We've just bought lots of new games and books as some of the others were showing signs of being well used. Come back again soon and challenge the kids to our favourite, a game of Operation!! "Is your hand steady enough" (many other games are of course available).

See you soon

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2012

This hotel is perfect for a Devon/Cornwall stop over. The staff were very friendly and accommodating.

The little touches like milk and cookies for little ones and magazines/games were a delight.

We had something to eat in the bar in the evening, which was excellent.

Use of the swimming pool next door was good too.

Room was as you'd expect, spotlessly clean and fairly spacious with all the amenities you'd want for a nights sleep.

One tiny annoyance, which was more our fault that the hotels, was that we thought breakfast was included with the rate we booked. And although breakfast was nice - to be charged an extra £25 (for 2 people) for it was on the expensive side we felt.

We are priority club members and so it was nice to have some water and chocolate as a little extra in the room.

Would stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for such a great review. We are so convenient for that first night of the holiday stopover , and I am so pleased that we helped start your vacation off so nicely.

Thanks again, and I hope that we see you again real soon.

Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We stayed for 2 nights and it was a good experience. Everyone was friendly and helpful and the room was comfortable and clean. Buffet breakfast and mugs for drinks are not my style but plenty of variety and all you could want! Overall a good place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. Really please you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2012 via mobile

Need to break a journey to the SW so that 4 year old and 18 month old got out of car for the night.

Looks like an 80's built motel from the outside. Reception was really friendly and the bar/lobby was full.

Room was a double bed with sofa bed. We'd requested cot and it was made up and included cot size duvet. Rooms with cots are always tight, this was no exception.

Breakfast was large hotel Buffett with everything under hot counters. Bacon and sausage were not bland, so better than service station and no more expensive. They do eggs to order if you ask.

But it is the little things and staff friendliness that made me want to review. Little things - a jug of milk, cookies and pile of borrowable children's books made bedtime easier. Staff - without exception were friendly and helpful.

We'll stay again.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank DragonJohn
Chris F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Taunton M5, Jct. 25, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
What an absolutely wonderful review.

How nice of you to mention the little extras we do to try and make people happy. I am well aware of the joys (and sometimes the woe's) of travelling with the kids - so if we have made just part of your stay that little bit simpler then we are truly delighted!

Really pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again next time.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2012

This last week-end my wife and I treated our two sons and their respective families to a long week-end in the Taunton area. We stayed at the Holiday Inn, M25 Taunton.

The venue, and especially friendliness of staff was extremely good. All five children loved the swimming pool and the general stay. Some were really disappointed (to tears for one) when we had to leave!

Restaurant meals were good, only criticism being that for dinner each evening from food order to receipt was a little long. Meals for children are free, although not sure up to what age, and crayons and large drawing page provided.

Rooms were in very good decor and high state of cleanliness.

Although I would expect a Holiday Inn standard to be quite high, I would consider this outstanding. Staff must be happy working in this hotel, as it showed in their attitude to their guests.

Although not a cheap 'week-end' for us it's value was enormous and my wife and I feel was money very well spent. Felt very family orientated, even if most guest did not have family with them.

Room Tip: We used 4 rooms in all, all ground floor, but all were very quiet, very clean, very good condition...