“Holiday Inn vs Express by Holiday Inn (next door)”

Holiday Inn Taunton M5, Jct. 25
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Nottingham
“Holiday Inn vs Express by Holiday Inn (next door)”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Frequently stay in the area, so pluses and minuses for each, so for the Holiday Inn against the HI Express:-

- on site restaurant ( have to eat at the calorie laden Harvester if @ Express, or take advantage of the Pot Noodle display) with full service for meals and breakfast
- on site gym
- free unregulated parking (Gestapo like out sourced monitoring @ HI Express that stings the unwary traveller for crazy sums if not savy enough to log at reception for full duration of stay
- nice touch with drinks and fruit next to reception for the traveller in a hurry
- friendlier staff

Negatives...

- over £10 for overnight Internet access....free of charge @ HI Express....in 2014 guests should not be paying for wi-Fi in their room
- +30% more expensive than HI Express, so consider the b/fast need etc

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

I am a regular with IHG and like staying with them. I arrived late and the service was good with a quick meal at the bar. Service was swift which was exactly what I needed. The room was fine and clean and I could have bought the whole family to stay in the extraordinarily large bed.

My biggest complaint is that they want me to charge me for wi- fi. I just can't accept that these days. Also to be told it would be free later in the year was of no use to me that night.

Also was a nice touch for take away tea on the way out.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Bishop Auckland
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My wife and I stayed again at the Holiday Inn at Taunton. Before we arrived, I telephoned the hotel to ask for a room on the ground floor as I have mobility problems. I was told that this was OK and that the recepyionist would leave a note on my file so that room 1 if possible would be allocated as it was the closest to reception on the ground floor. When we arrived we had been allocated a room on the 1st floor, so I mentioned the conversation i had had and a ground floor room was found (room 9). It was perfectly adequate, but it showed that I had wasted my time telephoning in advance.
We didn't eat at the hotel, with the exception of breakfast, and the hotel never during pur four day stay had any croissants available and on the last day also had no Greek yogurt which was advertised as being available. We have stayed there before and on this occasion our stay was not as enjoyable as on the previous occasion.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Taunton M5, Jct. 25, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Dear Jon2512,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am glad to know that you have found your room perfectly adequate.

I am sorry that your stay was negatively affected by the room location. We also regret you found you restaurant experience less than satisfactory.We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us an avenue to improve on what we can offer to achieve 100% guest satisfaction.

Again, thank you and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

A very good standard of comfort and cleaniness. Friendly and helpful staff. Good food and much appreciated complimentary coffee and cookies. Customer service was outstanding, particulary the efforts of the manager to sort out the problem when an iconsiderate driver blocked us in at the car park. Would be very happy to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Just returned from one night's stay at this hotel and can't fault the service we received. Nothing was too much trouble and the manager and staff gave a great welcome. The free drinks/cookies on arrival and also chocolate/fruit as we left was great. We had a bit of a problem on Saturday when our coach was unable to get out of the car park (due to an arrogant user of the gym who couldn't be bothered to park in the designated car parking spaces!). The hotel was prepared to organise taxis to get us to our concert. However, the car driver returned to his car after delaying us for 45 minutes and we were able to get on our way. Food was excellent and enjoyed a snack on Saturday night and an excellent, leisurely breakfast on Sunday morning. Would definitely return to this hotel and also recommend it to others.

Stayed May 2014
london
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed for a couple of nights in business.

Room was clean and beds relatively comfortable. However, right next to the head of the bed there was a connecting door to another room , and I could hear everything from the room next door - it was so bad that I was kept awake by the snooring of my neighbour. Mixture of poor design - having the door right by the bed -and inadequate soundproofing.

Not sure if all the rooms are like this, but if so it would put me off staying again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Taunton M5, Jct. 25, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear DMEtraveller,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. We understand that having a comfortable stay is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the noise. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Taunton hotels

Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I have used this hotel regularly and found the standards to be consistently high. Clean and comfortable rooms. Bright and pleasant staff who always want to help. Breakfast is a wonderful choice with some of the best bacon I have tasted. Dinners tend to follow the usual HI standard un imaginative but safe choices! There is also a health club. My one adverse comment is the cost of wi fi ! Most hotels, I use, include it free.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple