“Craftsmanship”

Somerset, England
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Craftsmanship”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

Maybe I'm biassed as I live in the village but that is only after I'd lived in Holland for 37 years so no I'm not. This is just a great little find for a day out in the country side.

Visited July 2011

Taunton, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Fascinating place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

This place is brilliant. Really interesting exhibition on the uses of willow and the history of the industry locally; some lovely countryside walks in the Levels; and a fabulous shop selling beautiful willow crafts. Must go back soon for a basket! There's also a cafe.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank TravellingNaturalist
darkest somerset
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“lively museum,”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

the UK's major artist charcoal makers, willow baskets made on site, walk down onto the moor, brilliant museum of all things willow - you will not credit how much we used it before plastic. Lovely trip

Reading, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Good for independent travellers or families with small children”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We were staying a few hundred yards away and had a "morning" to fill, so we walked along to the centre. Disappointingly the cafe was being refitted so I can't rate it. A very helpful lady gave us an up to date "walks" leaflet and explained what was on offer. There is an RSPB exhibition, a small exhibition of various uses of willow, a shop (we stayed out of!), there are 2 very small pushchair wheelchair "friendly" walks, however they involve very steep gradients and I would not want to be a "pusher" of an adult. There is a bird hide and outdoor classroom, and several walks available, but it was far too muddy to attempt without boots. it looks as though a lot of time & effort is being invested to upgrade the centre, our teenagers were in and out in 45 minutes flat! There is a donations box, but it is otherwise free. There are, apparently, guided tours around the adjacent workshops if you pre-book, but I'm afraid our teenagers were rather "bored" by it all, probably best for much younger children, or more mature adults who will look at the displays and read the information. The age group I took needed a lot more in the way of interactive displays.
They are trying hard, but I'm not sure who their target audience/market is. It is a long way off the beaten track, but not that difficult to find.

Visited February 2012