“Handy location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Wiltshire
“Handy location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

We stayed here when we went to the Elton John concert at Somerset Cricket Ground. It's more like a Guest House than a hotel, but it's clean and comfortable. Great location for anyone going to cricket matches and just up the road from the main High St in Taunton. We're certainly return if we get tickets for cricket matches.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012 via mobile

This hotel needs to get its service up to date, breakfast finished at 09.00 so at 09.15 all I could have is tea and toast. Room number 7 is a bit small, no net curtains in the room or bathroom so you feel a bit exposed having a shower and looking down the street or dressing in view of the building opposite. Daycor is very dated, bathroom light above mirror not working. Offerd no bill for my stay just the cc receipt.

On a positive this hotel is spotlessly clean. Stayed for two nights will not be going back.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Steve F
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

I've read the last review and had a frighteningly similar experience with a large party where we had to be away early and they refused to put milk out for us just for cereal. This place brands itself as a hotel but I would describe it as a very nice guest house. From the outside, it doesn't look particularly inviting but my fears were quelled once inside when I saw the rooms which were very nice and spacious. It is centrally located and handy for all amenities. It has limited parking spaces, but we managed to get a space without too much difficulty. The girl on the desk was very pleasant. That's where the positives stopped really. Our party accepted that an early start would mean no cooked breakfast. Even proper hotels would struggle to do this. But to refuse milk for cereal or even try to help us? This 'hotel' is a 2 star 'hotel'....it's not difficult to see why. Avoid unless you don't have an early start and can fit in around the chef's working hours, or are happy to take your own breakfast. I will never stay at this guest house again and will certainly put all my business friends off it at every opportunity. Customer service ? Zero stars.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Pumpingsnake
style11, General Manager at Taunton House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
It is such a pity to receive an unreasonable review when a sincere member of staff politely declined a request for breakfast for 5 rooms at 5 am which would have created staffing issues given the very short notice. Petulance does not achieve results. However I am pleased you found the hotel comfortable and well located.

Travellers are raving about these Taunton hotels

UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

I recently stayed here for business purposes along with 6 other colleagues (7 rooms in total), I found this hotel to be comfortable and clean with a great bathroom and shower. Free wireless internet was a bonus.
Their chef had not turned up for work though and as a result they were unable to offer us dinner, disappointing but not the end of the world, there are plenty of restaurants in Taunton.
We had to be up and gone by about 6am and asked the hotel for an early breakfast, they would not provide a cooked breakfast so early in the day, that was no big deal, I did not expect them to do this anyway.
I was however extremely disappointed that they refused to provide a cold breakfast, and they even refused to leave out cereal and milk for us to help ourselves before we hit the road, despite us paying for bed and breakfast, they didn't even need a member of staff to be present, we were quite capable of pouring cereal and milk ourselves. That was just petty and mean and a stance I cannot understand. We let ourselves out of the hotel leaving they keys on the side, not a single member of staff to be seen.
The bottom line is I put a big booking across their desk and they did not leave me feeling valued as a customer. Seven people were disappointed and all will communicate that dissapointment to others. I generally book hotels on a weekly basis and one thing I can guarantee is that I will not book this one again.
I don't normally leave reviews but I was so disappointed by this hotels attitude to customers I felt I should. Whatever happened to the customer being king?

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Darran H
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

Went to Taunton with a friend to see the Lancs v Somerset Cricket; stayed for the second time at the Salisbury House because of its ideal location and the comfort of the hotel. Easy walking - just 5 or so minutes into the middle of town. Clean comfortable room and excellent breakfast. Left my phone charger behind, I phoned, and it was posted back to me the following day. Would recommend and will be stopping again if I return to Taunton.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank finbarr44
Thank you for your kind comments and for taking the time to email us. We are very fortunate to have such an envious location in the town centre. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Stayed for 3 nights. I was impressed with the hotel, it is in I think a Victorian gothic style, smart and clean, and my room was very spacious. Breakfasts freshly cooked to order at your table, loads better than the buffets you get in hotel chains. Location fantastic, just 5 minutes walk from the centre.

While in the end it didn't prove to be a problem, I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to find a spot in the car park as the hotel let non residents use it (for a fee), and it was pretty full. I thought it would be better if they reserved spots for residents, it's on a main road and it would be difficult to find somewhere else to park.

Room Tip: Probably not one at the front if you like to have the windows open (traffic noise).
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank leicestermancunian
Thank you for your email and kind comments. We do pride ourselves on our freshly cooked breakfasts to order. The chef will be delighted with your most encouraging comments. We are addressing the car parking issue to enable all our guests to have a car parking space on arrival.I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Stayed for one night on business. Great location right near the centre of town, which was fortunate as when I asked at 5.30pm what time dinner was served until, I was told it had already finished! In the end a nearby excellent curry house didthe job.

So no bar or restaurant, but otherwise a very nice place. Extremely clean and tidy, and great service. Room was quite noisy due to the main road but it was well equipped including a good iron which makes a change to most of the chains.

I'd stay again!