Taunton House Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$102
US$98
PremierInn.com
US$91
PremierInn.com
All reviewstown centrecar parklovely little hotelcentral locationtidy roomfour postergood sizeaverage hotelexcellent locationbreakfast was freshly cookedhot showeron site parkingmain roadroom keygreat sleeptea coffeewould stay again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

Nice clean hotel standard room on ground floor 9/10. Bathroom OK but in need of a little attention 7/10. Nice bright clean breakfast room. Excellent service. Well cooked English breakfast but no continental option 9/10. Good location. Other hotel services, but limited. Good for a night or even two. Would consider using again.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 8 November 2012

My wife and I needed a place in Taunton for 1 night for a party. Wanted walking distance to town centre, breakfast and parking. The Salisbury ticked all the boxes but previous reviews concerned me. However, it all worked out rather well. We booked the "four poster bed" room as it was only a few quid more. Welcome was friendly, room and en-suite a good size. All clean and fully functioning. Hotel looks newly furnished and decorated with some nice "church" like characteristics. A 2 minute walk and we were in the centre of Taunton. Breakfast was freshly cooked and nice also.
Overall couldn't fault it. The only downside is that it is on a fairly busy road. Our room was at the back so if you get a room at the front the noise may disturb.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2012

My husband and I were travelling with our 2 small children (5 and 2) so booked a family room for 2 nights at this "hotel".

The place is ideally situated for shopping in Taunton but the actual accomadation was a big let down. Our family room was at the very top of the building up 3 flights of stairs so not really ideal when you are trying to carry up suitcase and pushchair plus 2 year old!! The room was clean and tidy but a little cold when we arrived, we assumed that it would warm up during the evening. It didnt!!! Beds only had sheet, blanket and thin throwover on them so no warmth to them.

Missed breakfast on the saturday morning as it only runs from 7.30 til 9. After day of shopping in Taunton I wanted to give the children a bath before bed and to warm them up. Started running bath and the water was just tepid. Rang down to reception and was told I would have to wait for heating to come on before water would get hot!!! I have never known a hotel where hot water wasnt 24/7. Water did finally heat up after about half hour or so.

Managed to get down for breakfast on the sunday and wish we hadnt bothered! Nothing really suitable for small children and cooked breakfast was very small, 1 sausage, 2 bacon and half tomato.

We only saw staff on our arrival and when we came to pay on leaving. Very disappointed with the place, next time will plump for Premier Inn down the road!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2012

So we arrive at the hotel (sorry, bed & breakfast) full of optimism, to be greeted by a queue at reception.

Once, in our room, we discover that someone has been smoking in the bathroom. We then move to a room downstairs. The heating in the room/bathroom & ventilation in the bathroom are both NOT working. Next, a replacement portable heater. The fuse blows after a few hours. Coat hangers in the cupboard are broken, as is the handle on one of the drawers! Mildew in the bathroom. This is beginning to sound like a comedy of errors. Unfortunately, we were unwittingly, in the starring role.

Then I ask the manager about the cream tea, we ordered as an extra, during our on-line booking. Blank expression, angry frown.

"We don't serve cream teas here. What are you talking about".

Me thinks, she never obtained her diploma from charm school.

All, in all, an awful hotel. Next time, The Castle beckons.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Answer-when it's a guesthouse.

For that is what Salisbury house really is. And if that is where my expectations had been, I would have been delighted. But when the website sells it as a hotel, you can't help feeling a little let down when you arrive.

In the pouring rain you have to ring the doorbell for somebody to come and let you in. Perfectly friendly welcome and very easy check-in. Room 7 which is where I ended up after swapping with a colleague from room 17 which has 2 small twin beds in it, is small and homely. The furnishings are guesthouse. Good size television, and a good-looking although ultimately not very powerful shower in the bathroom. Despite the bathroom having a window which opens easily, there is also an extractor fan in it which is activated by the light switch. It only seems to deactivate itself several hours later, so there is noise from the bathroom. I'm assuming this room is supposed to be a double, but I'm really glad I wasn't having to share the bed with somebody else. It's a small double, and the mattress is probably not the most comfortable one I've slept on.

Again if my expectations of being those of a homely guesthouse, I probably wouldn't even be commenting on this.

Breakfast the following morning was good. Nice bacon, and quickly and efficiently served.

We got a good rate of £69 per person per night including breakfast. It's certainly not worth any more, and I noticed that the listed prices at reception are more than that, so hunt around and see what the best rate is they can offer you.

All in all the Salisbury house “hotel" is not a bad place to stay. Centrally located for Taunton, and with good car parking. It's just that when you arrive with different expectations, you can sometimes feel let down.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a double, then room 17 is not your thing.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business