“Very good”

Taunton House Hotel
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Wouldn't class this as a hotel but a very good bed and breakfast. Clearly the place had been recently redecorated. Smelt very clean and fresh when you walked in the front door (after ringing the bell and waiting for someone to answer - hence B&B not a hotel) Rooms were clean, bathrooms were good (although room 8 had the noisiest loo and associated plumbing known to mankind. I felt sorry for the people in the room next to me) Everything was fresh and clean although some of the bedspread and curtain choices were questionable (purple bedspread and red carpet?) but it didn't matter - we were there 1 night.

I guaranteed my booking with a credit card a week before arrival but was told on arrival that my room had been given away so I had to have a different room. Not what you really want to hear after a 4 hour journey.

Breakfast very good.

All in all - better £60 here including English breakfast cooked to order than a £49 Travel Lodge room plus breakfast if you can find it in my opinion.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TOM186225
General M, General Manager at Taunton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2013

Thank you for your comments and noted. We have now updated to ultra modern silk fibre duvets, appreciated by many guests. We are in the process of fitting a new front door system so the guest will no longer have to ring the bell. Hope to welcome you back soon to see the updates.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

We found this hotel very acceptable. It was warm, clean and nicely furnished. Our room was a reasonable size and was equipped with everything we needed. The staff were pleasant and helpful and the breakfast fine. I would not hesitate to recommend it and would happily stay there again. It is conveniently situated for the town centre. Only slight downside - it is on a road which is busy most of the night, and there is no lift.

Room Tip: It is quite a steep climb to the second floor - older customers might prefer lower rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

Nice clean hotel standard room on ground floor 9/10. Bathroom OK but in need of a little attention 7/10. Nice bright clean breakfast room. Excellent service. Well cooked English breakfast but no continental option 9/10. Good location. Other hotel services, but limited. Good for a night or even two. Would consider using again.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 8 November 2012

My wife and I needed a place in Taunton for 1 night for a party. Wanted walking distance to town centre, breakfast and parking. The Salisbury ticked all the boxes but previous reviews concerned me. However, it all worked out rather well. We booked the "four poster bed" room as it was only a few quid more. Welcome was friendly, room and en-suite a good size. All clean and fully functioning. Hotel looks newly furnished and decorated with some nice "church" like characteristics. A 2 minute walk and we were in the centre of Taunton. Breakfast was freshly cooked and nice also.
Overall couldn't fault it. The only downside is that it is on a fairly busy road. Our room was at the back so if you get a room at the front the noise may disturb.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2012

My husband and I were travelling with our 2 small children (5 and 2) so booked a family room for 2 nights at this "hotel".

The place is ideally situated for shopping in Taunton but the actual accomadation was a big let down. Our family room was at the very top of the building up 3 flights of stairs so not really ideal when you are trying to carry up suitcase and pushchair plus 2 year old!! The room was clean and tidy but a little cold when we arrived, we assumed that it would warm up during the evening. It didnt!!! Beds only had sheet, blanket and thin throwover on them so no warmth to them.

Missed breakfast on the saturday morning as it only runs from 7.30 til 9. After day of shopping in Taunton I wanted to give the children a bath before bed and to warm them up. Started running bath and the water was just tepid. Rang down to reception and was told I would have to wait for heating to come on before water would get hot!!! I have never known a hotel where hot water wasnt 24/7. Water did finally heat up after about half hour or so.

Managed to get down for breakfast on the sunday and wish we hadnt bothered! Nothing really suitable for small children and cooked breakfast was very small, 1 sausage, 2 bacon and half tomato.

We only saw staff on our arrival and when we came to pay on leaving. Very disappointed with the place, next time will plump for Premier Inn down the road!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2012

So we arrive at the hotel (sorry, bed & breakfast) full of optimism, to be greeted by a queue at reception.

Once, in our room, we discover that someone has been smoking in the bathroom. We then move to a room downstairs. The heating in the room/bathroom & ventilation in the bathroom are both NOT working. Next, a replacement portable heater. The fuse blows after a few hours. Coat hangers in the cupboard are broken, as is the handle on one of the drawers! Mildew in the bathroom. This is beginning to sound like a comedy of errors. Unfortunately, we were unwittingly, in the starring role.

Then I ask the manager about the cream tea, we ordered as an extra, during our on-line booking. Blank expression, angry frown.

"We don't serve cream teas here. What are you talking about".

Me thinks, she never obtained her diploma from charm school.

All, in all, an awful hotel. Next time, The Castle beckons.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Answer-when it's a guesthouse.

For that is what Salisbury house really is. And if that is where my expectations had been, I would have been delighted. But when the website sells it as a hotel, you can't help feeling a little let down when you arrive.

In the pouring rain you have to ring the doorbell for somebody to come and let you in. Perfectly friendly welcome and very easy check-in. Room 7 which is where I ended up after swapping with a colleague from room 17 which has 2 small twin beds in it, is small and homely. The furnishings are guesthouse. Good size television, and a good-looking although ultimately not very powerful shower in the bathroom. Despite the bathroom having a window which opens easily, there is also an extractor fan in it which is activated by the light switch. It only seems to deactivate itself several hours later, so there is noise from the bathroom. I'm assuming this room is supposed to be a double, but I'm really glad I wasn't having to share the bed with somebody else. It's a small double, and the mattress is probably not the most comfortable one I've slept on.

Again if my expectations of being those of a homely guesthouse, I probably wouldn't even be commenting on this.

Breakfast the following morning was good. Nice bacon, and quickly and efficiently served.

We got a good rate of £69 per person per night including breakfast. It's certainly not worth any more, and I noticed that the listed prices at reception are more than that, so hunt around and see what the best rate is they can offer you.

All in all the Salisbury house “hotel" is not a bad place to stay. Centrally located for Taunton, and with good car parking. It's just that when you arrive with different expectations, you can sometimes feel let down.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a double, then room 17 is not your thing.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business