“In need of improvement”

Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“In need of improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

I was forced to book late and had little choice. I had used this hotel before and did not plan to return, but it was all I could find. Its location is convenient and the fact that it has a carpark is a bonus, but overall I was disappointed and, in my view, it has deteriorated in quality. The phone in my room did not work, certainly for incoming calls. Breakfast was ok, but my room smelt of cigarette smoke, the bed was uncomfortable and the road noise kept me awake and ensured that I had two disturbed nights. Do not accept room 7 unless you like the sound of traffic. I would not use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Avoid room 7. Ask for something at the back of the hotel away from the busy road at the front.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bill1357

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Salisbury house hotel has it's advantages and disadvantages. It's not really a hotel, it's more like a bed and breakfast with not such a good quality breakfast. The location is definitely a plus- right at the centre of Taunton. I got a double room for myself and it was alright. They don't have a computer at the reception and so everything- right from booking to invoicing is done on pen and paper. It looked like they rent out their parking lot during the day to outside cars. So, be prepared to park your car elsewhere if you arrive late in the morning when all parking spaces are gone. I came back to hotel around 8-9 and left early morning. So, I didn't have any problems with the parking. Internet is quite bad,especially as you move up the building.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Ayan_On_Road
Essex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

On arrival the hotel looks fantastic nice small car park and well kept
through the door to reception and you're in a small but functional reception area, after ringing the bell and a short wait pleasantly greeted by a member of staff.

A fantastic start ... but sadly it was downhill from there!

My biggest disappointment was the fact the room has a really nice varied food menu, the hotel has a restaurant yet I was informed by the staff that they don't do food of an evening! ... Seems like a mixed message to me I would have happily understood if this had been due to staff shortages in the kitchen and that it was closed that night. That said, had I had been informed at the point of check in I could have changed to another hotel or made other arrangements.

I booked this hotel on the premise there was a restaurant and bar, after a long 12 hour day on the road the last thing I wanted to do was scour the town of Taunton for somewhere decent to eat. When I asked at reception if a restaurant local could be recommended the only answer I got when I asked was "I don't know" hardly helpful I think you will agree.

I got back just after 10 to find the front door locked and the bar closed ... so no night cap either, surely here I am wanting to throw extra money on top of my room cost at an independently run hotel and they cant be bothered to man the bar and provide an acceptable level of service for their guests!!!!.

A bit more attention to customer service and correct advertising would go a long way to making this hotel a point of call for me every month! Sadly, I very much doubt I will be visiting again in the near future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Essex_Man_About_Town

Travellers are raving about these Taunton hotels

Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is a very handy hotel for Taunton shopping centre.But not a very quiet place to stay if you are on the ground floor as the rooms above have very creaky floor boards.I know it is a old building and if you don't mind his that is fine.Could do with a night light to find your way to the bathroom in the middle of the night.And the duvet filling not stitched to keep the filling in the right place hence the filling falls in the corners and edges and it is so heavy when it does this lumpy and bumpy.Breakfast was fine good fried breakfast.And the staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We were informed that guests are not allowed to book in until 2pm. We arrived at 2.10pm and all of the hotel car park spaces were taken. It is not a large hotel, so the spaces were clearly not all being used by guests. We were told that the hotel was having some work carried out, so some of the spaces were being used by the workman. It appears that the hotel were allowing people to park in the spaces who were not paying guests. They did not give us any warning about the parking situation until we arrived. I had to drop my wife and her bag in the car park and then drive to the multistory to park my car. We finally returned to the hotel at 10pm after a night out and found a space in the hotel car park. The lady on reception was polite and friendly and the room was fine. The breakfast was not great as the bacon was chewy, rather than crisp and the sausage was cold. Will not be returning.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dave_489
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

I was very happy with the look and feel of this hotel.

I would have given 5 stars if the hotel was a bit more cared for. Some of the fixtures and fittings could do with some attention or replacing inc the bedroom carpet.

The location is great and within 5 minutes away from the town centre. The service was good and so was the price. Would go back! All in all very good!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

This was our second stay here as we have family in the area and we have found this to be the best location.
As others have said this is really more a B&B than an hotel but the rooms are clean, beds reasonably comfortable and breakfast freshly cooked. Very few staff and no lifts or help with luggage so if like us, your rooms are on the 3rd floor (as with both our stays here), it's a long walk (39 steps) up with luggage so pack lightly!
Good location as a 2 minute walk into town but on a busy road so it can get noisy as the police station and hospital are both within 5 minutes so the sirens go all night. Shower water pressure in both our rooms was very weak which was not great and shower cubicle smaller than average due to the odd shape of it.
Overall not a bad place to stay, we will probably end up there again, as the parking is free, location is great and we are out all day in any case!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family