“Convenient”

Taunton House Hotel
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Only stayed for one night in July, ideally located for my visit, room was clean and airy. Bathroom well presented. Lack of atmosphere in Bar and Restauarant due to no other customers-although the hotel was full. Restaurants and Bars in town only 2 minute walk away. Parking was free which was a novelty for a city centre Hotel. Would definetly stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife and i booked this hotel as our son was playing in the Taunton Cricket Festival. The hotel was a 10 minute walk from Kings College and right on the town centre.
We were able to park in the on site car park where our car stayed all week.
My wife is disabled and uses a scooter to get around so we had booked a room downstairs which has disabled facilities. ie. walk in shower. The only thing my wife said that would have made things easier was a fold down seat, on the wall, in the shower area. The room was clean and tidy and more than adequate for what we wanted. The only downside was the road noise at night.I took earplugs!
The access to the hotel has a couple of small steps which made things a little awkward with the scooter so a ramped access would be a bonus.
The staff were always pleasant and the breakfast was good.
Yes a little expensive but others were staying in various places around Taunton which were comparable.
If he goes again we would have no problems with staying there again.

Room Tip: Try a room that doesn't face the road.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed here recently for one night. It's about a 15 minute walk to the station from the hotel, and is a short stroll from the main shopping area in the town.

The staff were pleasant enough and my room was a little small, but clean and tidy.

However, the rate of £85 for one night was too dear. I can understand hotels in tourist towns such as Bath being able to charge such a rate, but I felt £85 was over the top for one night in Taunton.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank The_Coach55
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I went here after reading some of the previous reviews and I really wasn't expecting much. The room was lovely. Ok so it had views overlooking the carpark, but you don't book into a hotel to sit and stare through your hotel room window. At least I don't and if you do you shouldn't get outside there's actually an interesting world out there and life's too short to be staring out of hotel room windows.

We stopped here whilst attending a friends wedding, the bride and groom were actually staying here to which goes to show its not really a b & b. It's a hotel. We arrived well after check in and were still greeted with a lovely warm welcome. Marta, the lady on reception was lovely both checking us in, taking our breakfast order and checking us out. Ok so it's not overstaffed but I like that one on one service. Rather that then lots of staff standing around, looking bored and scratching their .........

The shower was warm, had great pressure and was way better than I expected having read the reviews on here.

I'm a vegetarian ( yep a fully signed up bunny hugger) and I hadn't mentioned this before breakfast yet I was still served a yummy warm breakfast along with fruit and toast and all within 5 minutes of ordering this. Also the young lad serving breakfast and yes he was young was very polite and professional.

All in all. A really nice stay and obviously if the hotel had it's problems before they must have read trip advisor and have turned things around. So if you are reading this give yourself a big pat on the back. It's a great place to stay and taunton town is on your doorstep and just fab.

Room Tip: Room one is great! Fab shower, nice and big and at the back of the hotel
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We went to the Rod Stewart concert and managed to book a room in the Salisbury House Hotel owing to them having a cancellation. We consider ourselves very lucky as the room was large and very clean. The receptionist was very friendly. The breakfast the next morning was really tasty and has to be one of the best cooked breakfast we have had. The only down side was the car park. Unfortunately we arrived during the afternoon and the car park was already full. We managed to "chat up" the builders on the site next door and we parked our car by their offices. Overall the stay was very good and we would certainly stay again.

1  Thank J D
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This hotel is in a excellent location (right in the centre of the town) and very easy to find. There are car parking spaces but the hotel operates on the basis of first come first serve - It doesn't tell you this when you book on line!! Another annoying thing is that when you book on line it says all rooms have Wi-Fi (NO THEY DON'T) and very annoying if you have private business to do. Another annoying fact is that when you book on line they advise of complimentary toiletries are supplied (NO THEY AREN'T), if hand wash is complimentary toiletries then that is very harsh. I do usually take my own toiletries but on this occasion we were rushing to get out of the house and had limited space in our luggage, so I thought would use the hotels (BUT TO DISAPPOINTMENT). The room itself was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. A good size television also in the room along with plenty of coffee and teas. Breakfast was of very high standard (which was included in the price).

The only reason why I have marked this hotel down is because of the attitude of the male receptionist (and left flabbergasted by his rudeness). I originally phoned before we left Bristol to make sure that there were car parking spaces available as advised on our booking confirmation (that ther were lots of spaces) (Rod Stewart Concert Was On And We Were Attending), to be told in a very abrupt manner that the hotel operates on first come first serve basis and if parking wasn't available would have to park elsewhere (not very considerate), but baring in mind you cannot check in until 2.30pm and the show didn't start until 6.30pm, so in theory to be guaranteed a space you would need to be there pretty damn early! On arrival we were told to pay straight away even though they already had our card details (never ever been asked for this before), when we queried this his reply was I have been instructed to collect all monies by THEM! Who is THEM we asked (obviously the owners). This guy had no compassion and his customer service skills need a huge overhaul, no please no thank you NOTHING. We also asked the same guy what time the door would be shut and he said again in a very abrupt manor "11pm, but the key to your room will unlock this door". Could he just not of advised that the key will unlock the door if it was locked?????

I must say the greeting on our return to the hotel after the show was a lot more inspiring by the young lady on reception, who had a smile and asked if everything was ok, so thumbs up to her.

Nice hotel Salisbury, but customer service goes a very long way and this you just didn't offer!!

1  Thank Sharon K
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I was forced to book late and had little choice. I had used this hotel before and did not plan to return, but it was all I could find. Its location is convenient and the fact that it has a carpark is a bonus, but overall I was disappointed and, in my view, it has deteriorated in quality. The phone in my room did not work, certainly for incoming calls. Breakfast was ok, but my room smelt of cigarette smoke, the bed was uncomfortable and the road noise kept me awake and ensured that I had two disturbed nights. Do not accept room 7 unless you like the sound of traffic. I would not use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Avoid room 7. Ask for something at the back of the hotel away from the busy road at the front.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business