“CLEAN, PEACEFUL BUT DOES NOT LIVE UPTO EXPECTATIONS, DO NOT COME JUST FOR SPA!”

The Mount Somerset Hotel
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We had one of the rooms with a hot tub which was nicely decorated and very clean. Note no tea and coffee facilities in the room you have to order this from reception.
Spa was the biggest let down. Pool was not working. we had hoped to spend half a day there but there are no lounging areas, it is VERY small. We had done the rounds of the shower, sauna and steam room a few times and had enough after 45 min, gutted.
We would recommend the 7 course taster menu though, great value for money for a special occasion. Food was lovely and LOTS of it!
Another let down was the robotic service we had. Waitresses would deliver food and then vanish to the kitchen. Service did not match to food standard. Bar area empty on August bank holiday, no atmosphere at all.
Surroundings are lovely and reception staff and cleaning lady particularly lovely and friendly.
If you get this place at a bargain then it is worth it but do not pay full price, you will be very unhappy!!

1  Thank Helen S

Reviewed 12 August 2011

Had a spa day at The Mount last week. Massage and facial were lovely but changing area cramped if more than 2 people in there. Ordered chicken caesar salad for lunch; it came full of anchovies with an anchovy dressing to boot (no mention of this on the ingredients list). I hate anchovies! Had it replaced and when it finally came was very nice. But found a hair in my bread roll - not pleasant! Staff apologised but when you're paying £15 for a salad I would expect it to be better than that. No offer of discount or even a free coffee. Wouldn't bother going again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2011

This Regency country house/hotel is well located for M5 J25 access & Taunton but is situated in a quiet location within the Somerset countryside.
Excellent suite (Barrington) with large bathroom & twin showers. Great views and
good breakfast. Only criticism would be that we were left to our own devices, in the conservatory at breakfast, for some considerable time before anyone appeared.
You would need to use your car as there is nothing happening around here (unless you like walking country lanes !). Perfect for a comfortable stop-over.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Severnsider
Reviewed 9 August 2011

My wife and I stayed for one night. We just about liked it overall. De luxe room on the garden side plus dinner in the restaurant. Nice room with a really great en suite, nice bar, good food (although the chef made the mistake of completly wrapping my wife's fish dish in smoked bacon which completely overpowered everything including the champagne and my aftershave), and attentive service.

No air conditioning (how can this not be provided in a room costing GBP 245 per night????), so on a hot night windows open and light bed cover. The windows on the ground floor where we stayed have security clips, of a sort. No tea/coffee machine .

The Spa. Yeeeeeeeep. Er, a separate building but really tight on space and too in your face for me. The 'gym' is a room about 2 metres square with 4 aerobic machines in. You will certainly get to know your neighbour.

Pricey for what you get.

1  Thank Spinner8
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I stayed here with my Mum and several friends the night before my wedding.
Unfortunately I was very disappointed with the hotel, particularly as I selected it because I felt it would provide me with a comfortable envirnoment in which to relax prior to my 'big day'. When I arrived, the receptionist informed me that they had no record of my booking (I had booked and paid for 3 rooms through lastminute.com) - she said that even if I had booked on the internet I wouldn't have paid for the rooms as this was not how it worked. Fortunately they were able to find 3 rooms for us but I had to return to my fiance's parents' house to pick up my printed confirmation of booking and payment.

I had also booked for a French manicure the afternoon before my wedding but having assured me that they were able to provide this service when I booked, the beauty therapist informed me that there selection of colours was rather limited and really unless I wanted white or glitter, there was little option. In the end I paid the £50 this cost but had to call upon a friend to bring her nail varnish and work her magic at midnight that night....this all added to the stress. The meal was nice but with incredibly slow service - frustrating when I still had a manicure to do! Friends with children had order a couple of simple pasta meals for their children at approximately 5pm and had to wait 45 mins so they were nearly late for our wedding rehearsal. The breakfast service was similarly slow although the food was reasonable.

I was upset that having paid for 3 rooms in what I thought would be a lovely place to stay prior to my wedding, I ended up stressed and running late as a result. This has the potential to be an amazing hotel but management and restaurant service need some work!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank WessexFoodie
Reviewed 4 August 2011

A beautiful afternoon was accompanied with a rather tasty afternoon tea.
Freshly home-baked scones (still warm) with delicious Devon clotted cream and the Hotel's own jam.
A selection of delicate finger sandwiches.
The cakes were home-made and to die for! Especially the chocolate brownies..(mmm..)

We sat out on the terrace and had a magnificent view of this stunning part of Somerset. The children had a great time playing in the gardens. Overall all a fabulous afternoon and will be returning in the future.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank sheath2011
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I was taken to the Mount Somerset for my birthday, fantastic location in the country, warm friendly staff and service. The hotel itself has a very modern, spacious and very relaxed feel. The food was unbelievable, very well presented and textures, colours and flavour combination was out of this world.
Cant wait to go back!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taunton
Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Taunton M5, Jct.25
Brookfield House
Brookfield House
#1 of 17 in Taunton

Been to The Mount Somerset Hotel? Share your experiences!