The Mount Somerset Hotel
Orbitz.com
Greyhound Inn(Taunton)
US$106
Hotels.com
All reviewsafternoon teahot tubhydrotherapy poolfoot spadeluxe roomspa facilitiessconesroll top bathcream teaturn down serviceamuse bouchegarden roomwalk in showersteam roomspa experiencelounge areaset menu
Reviewed 5 January 2013

The spa day was great. Staff very friendly.
Both the body scrub and anti-ageing facial were wonderful, though a little shorter than advertised.
The hydrotherapy was superb - aqua foot massagers, hot-tub/jacuzzi, steam room with fab atmospheric lighting, sauna and amazing shower offering Caribbean storm with lightening, jungle mist etc etc.
The only downside was the relaxation room as it was a bit small and was soon crowded with six people. The large lounger is for only three people really, hard to share with another couple as the Spa is uni-sex.
There was a fitness room which we didn't use as we wanted a chill out day after Chritmas and New Year.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 December 2012

As a chef I had heard of The Mount Somerset Hotel for a number of years and had wanted to visit and try the food. Luckily I was invited by the girlfriends parents to join them on boxing for lunch. I wasn't disappointed the decor of t,he lunge area is lovely and the staff were very helpful and pleasant. The food was very good, I had the leek and potato soup, roast sirloin of beef and pain au chocolate for dessert. It was all lovingly presented and not over seasoned I would have to give the food 9/10 only missing top marks as the carrots were penny shaped ! But don't let that put you off its a lovely place and I can't wait to go again.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GRamsay1
Reviewed 7 December 2012

I booked my two night stay from Secret Escapes. When my boyfriend and I checked in at 3PM we were told by the receptionist that our room would be ready in 10 minutes however 25 minutes later the room still wasn't ready. As part of our secret escapes deal we were supposed to be offered cream tea on arrival. This never happened, About 30 minutes later our room was ready. Our room was lovely and very clean. The bathroom was FANTASTIC and again very clean. The bath was gorgeous.

At dinner we were given the wrong menu to look at and midway we were brought the set menu and were told if we want to order from the ALaCarte menu we would need to pay more in front of the other diners... How embarrassing. Furthermore we ordered pea soup but when our soup arrived it was the wrong one and when I told the waitress she seemed disinterested and hesitant to bring the correct soup out so sensing that we said to her not to worry about it. The staff were not friendly neither professional. I feel this hotel is not value for money because the service is not very good at all.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AAJM123
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Myself and 2 friends, based in Cornwall, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire, meet up every few months ideally in Somerset/north Devon. I spotted a Travelzoo deal - £49 for 2x 30 min spa treatments each plus use of the spa facilities plus a hot drink or glass of prosecco and cake. It sounded ideal!
We decided against staying overnight at the hotel purely based on cost so we ended up at the Travelodge on the other side of the M5 - extremely basic but affordable at £13 for the night each!!
We all met in the hotel's lounge which is a beautiful room (well two originally) and we were lucky to get the seating right near the fire - perfect on a wet & windy November day! We enjoyed some great sandwiches even if they were a bit pricey.
We then moved on to the spa. We all had a 30 min back, neck & shoulder massage and a 30 min facial, which we all enjoyed immensely!
However the spa itself is very small and the facilities very cramped. It consists of converted stables. Upstairs is where the two treatment rooms are. There is a locker room and a female changing room, together with a relaxing area. Although there were fruit teas and water, we were expecting the latter to have newspapers and lots of magazines but this was not the case. The changing room consists of one loo, one shower and a small bench for changing purposes. If you've got more than one person in there, it's crowded! A bit difficult when, in addition to us 3, there was at least another 6 females using the spa that day!!!
Downstairs are the 'wet' facilities - which I found great. A jacuzzi, a sauna, a steam room, 2 foot spas and showers, including a Caribbean shower - beware!!
We then went back to the lounge to enjoy our glass of fizz and cake.
All in all we had a lovely time and didn't want to leave to go to our Travelodge (surprise, surprise!). I would go back if benefitting from another deal, but I think other spa hotels in the area provide a better experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank BeckyFoulds
Reviewed 21 November 2012

A two day break mainly for my friend who is recovering from a knee opp.Excellent room, very clean and tidy and the attention to detail from the staff was first class.Plenty of parking room, and very nice gardens and views.The health centre/fitness section was clean, well run and all the facilities worked very well.
The down sides? Well, the hotel looks a little tired inside and when the charges here are so expensive, you would have thought that decent toilet rolls could be provided instead of some cheap 'put your fingers through them' stuff.Buying drinks are to be avoided as £15 for a single brandy and martini is really over the top ! Breakfast was let down a little by out of date yoghurt (by 4 days) still being on show for two days !! it was only removed when I pointed it out to the staff. All in all a pleasant stay but let down by small noticable items and lack of attention to detail.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple