“Our Amazing Wedding!”

The Mount Somerset Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We chose the Mount Somerset for our wedding reception as it is such a beautiful house. It has to die for rooms, outstanding views and friendly staff! A few of us girlies started on the Thurs afternoon, where we had treatments in the spa, a buffet and a garden room with a hot tub. It was fab! The Wedding was truely amazing! Claire and her team were fantastic and catered for our every need, nothing was too much trouble and I can't thank them enough! It was so organised and ran so smoothly, the food was sensational and the drinks were flowing! The Barrington honeymoon suite was huge, bed so comfy and bathroom luxurious! Every single room is lovely and all our guests commented on what a lovely venue it was. The breakfast we had on both mornings were delicious with lots of variety to choose from. I would highly recommend this venue for a wedding as it was the best day of our lives!

Room Tip: Garden rooms have hot tubs and The Barrington suite is the best room to have
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Emma C
There are newer reviews for The Mount Somerset Hotel

Reviewed 15 June 2013

We went for a spa day but had breakfast and lunch. The spa was very odd, it was lacking what I felt were basic facilities, my biggest issue was there was no where for us to relax between treatments really. There was a relaxation room but I didn't find it relaxing, the was only 5 seats and at one time there was 8 of us wanting lunch and between treatments so nowhere to sit. The treatments were lovely as we're the staff. There were only sun loungers outside and no swimming pool. I usually go to a different spa and I think I will again just because we found it hard to relax. The food was lovely for both breakfast and lunch, the country surroundings were beautiful also. The only boggle abut staff was that after booking for myself and my friends and Laing on a credit card, one of my friends paid for her treatments in advance and was charged on departure. The woman on reception insisted she would not take pa,ent in advance and my friend would have to pay again, yet I paid for everyone in advance?! as I said, OK, a few things let the overall experience down.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Lovely country house hotel in a fabulous location just a few miles from Taunton in beautiful Somerset. I visited for afternoon tea with a friend and it was a very pleasant experience with delicious food. The selection of cakes and sandwiches was just perfect and it's quite a challenge to eat it all! The perfectly baked scone with jam and clotted cream was my favourite! As the weather was dull we couldn't sit outside in the garden but the lounge was very comfortable with many others enjoying afternoon tea and therefore creating a lovely atmosphere. The staff were friendly and helpful and we were even treated to a tour of the hotel and spa facilities. The bedrooms we were shown looked very impressive - spacious, beautifully furnished and decorated with superb bathrooms. I look forward to visiting again soon.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank maray10
Reviewed 12 June 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a night to celebrate our first wedding anniversary at the end of last month. I can't say enough about how good this place was. Fantastic location, very attentive staff and lovely room. We stayed in a room in the old part of the hotel, which was once a private house. It had a beautiful 4 poster bed which was amazingly comfortable. The bathroom had a huge door-less shower, lovely roll top both which is big enough for two and his and hers sinks.

The staff were really good - I have to mention one member of staff (sorry I can't remember his name) who when we went down for dinner and were relaxing in the lounge, came over, having not met us yet and greeted us with our surnames and offered light bites before dinner and took our meal order. Very professional I thought - it didn't go unnoticed. It was also a nice touch when the check in lady had kept notes that it was our wedding anniversary.

The main meal was on the pricey side but, despite some other reviews i've seen on here, was first class. The wine list is extensive abut a little pricey.

Breakfast the next morning was again excellent with a great choice of continental and Full English. The only criticism I would have, and it is only very minor, is that the toast was standard pre-sliced bread. Would have been nice to have higher quality bread but that's just me been very picky indeed.

The spa was totally deserted when we used it and although small is really relaxing. We didn't go for any of the treatments but they did look inviting.

Overall, i'd certainly recommend the place and I think we'll be back for another break at some point.

Room Tip: Try and stay in the old part of the hotel as the ambience is great - we didn't see any of the ne...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Stayed here for two nights when visiting family. We had stayed at two other hotels during our trip to the south west (Bath and Winchester) which were more expensive but not as good as Mount Somerset. Hotel is very well run with friendly staff. Service is very good without being too formal. Hotel has a large country house feel to it and feels 'lived in'. The first night we ate in the restaurant and the food was very good. It was reasonably busy but service by three young men was excellent. The second night we were tired of eating out and had something in the bar which was also very good. Breakfasts were excellent, including one in room. Overall we had a excellent stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We enjoyed a 3 night stay at The Mount Hotel in May. The receptionist Emily had a lovely smile and was very welcoming after our long journey. Emily showed us to our room, Durstan which has a beautiful view of the gardens and croquet lawn. The bathroom was newly refurbished with a walk in twin shower and also a large bathtub with a view of the garden. The hotel provided tea making facilities, bottled water, fresh fruit and homemade biscuits in our room each day. We found all the staff to be exceptionally helpful even though the hotel was busy with wedding and private parties to cater for throughout the Bank holiday weekend. We ate dinner in the restaurant on our first night. Service in the lounge for aperitifs was good. Having eaten in Michelin starred restaurants we thought our meal at The Mount was fabulous. The flavours were fresh and clean. The after dinner petit fours are a must! On Sunday our family joined us for drinks on the hotel terrace before enjoying the hotel's Sunday lunch. We were given a lovely table near a window overlooking the garden, which we really appreciated. A jazz duo was playing during the meal which we all enjoyed. All 6 of us thought the 3 course lunch was exceptional. Overall, this hotel was a really lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2013

My husband took me away for the weekend to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary and my birthday, and to ask me again to marry him. Did I say yes? Well, of course I did! What a wonderful place. It was good to be back to our roots in Somerset, and this place is the cat's meow. Everything was impeccable, and the surrounding gardens which seem to go on for miles, are just stunning. But not in that completely cut look, but it looks like someone loves the garden and is proud. Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple