“Could try harder for those with mobility issues”

The Mount Somerset Hotel
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I've been to the Mount Somerset several times in the last 18 months purely because of the top quality food and always had good service from the staff in the bar and restaurant areas. So why the rather harsh 'poor' rating? Well, I decided to treat my mother to lunch. She has severe walking difficulties but is not in a wheelchair and while I fully accept I did not ask if there was a more disabled-friendly access to the hotel, rather than the steps at the main entrance, not one member of the reception staff offered any form of help or advice about alternative routes when they could clearly see she was struggling to climb the steps. They were not busy. They were chatting among themselves. The exact same thing happened on the way out. And while they may not have been able to help physically (health and safety, no doubt!), it would have been polite to simply ask if we were managing. To make matters worse, one female staff member even came out onto the steps to ask an unrelated question about our lunch as my mother was struggling to climb backwards down them, practically on all fours as there was no handrail. So they certainly can't claim they didn't see us!! While I accept it's an old, historic building and can never be fully disabled-friendly, I'm afraid ignoring a clearly struggling guest is just not good enough in this day and age and purely because of that incident I will not be returning to the Mount Somerset again. My mother was extremely upset by the experience and it ruined what would have been a wonderful lunch - all because not one member of the reception staff could be bothered to ask if everything was alright. Not one word. They really let down the wonderful kitchen and restaurant staff who were fantastic. Good manners count for a lot and a simple "is everything okay?" would have made such a huge difference. I can't fault the food and yes, overall, great service if you can walk without restrictions. Appalling if you can't.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Henwife

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I recently stayed at the Mount Somerset with my sister for her birthday treat. On arrival the staff were very attentive and showed us to a beautiful room which was upgraded as we requested a twin room. The snacks and food we had was excellent and the breakfast in the morning was great. The spa was lovely and relaxing and the treatments we had (Peaceful Earth facial) was excellent.
All in all a lovely stay and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed in Broadway. Lovely roll top bath twin room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We were looking for a relaxing break and stayed for 3 nights. The location and the Hotel were fantastic, with superb food and a first class service from all the staff. Choice for veggies best we have found for a long time - at least three main courses, all delicious. The Hotel was a rare find indeed. Can't wait for our next visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank H G
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Impeccable service teamed with beautiful countryside made this a break to remember. The level of care and attention to detail was a wonderful bonus which surpassed our expectations. The room was immaculate, cleaned and laundered twice a day and the bed turned down. The staff were attentive without being pretentious and made us feel truly welcome.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Julieck
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This is our second visit this year and the welcome was as warm if not warmer for the second time. The staff are wonderful nothing to much trouble the food excellent presentation and taste perfect. Location and accommodation are all you could wish for if you need a complete rest and recoup orate. So close to town and yet so far ! Brilliant we are planning our next visit already. The sheep where a perfect added touch in the garden lol. Thank you to all the staff.

Room Tip: The garden rooms are lovely
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DAVEW158
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

This was a surprise getaway by my husband. Wonderful choice by him. Welcoming and attentive staff, beautifully decorated room, lots of breakfast choices. Hot tub in the deluxe garden room wonderful for chilling in the sunshine. I want him to surprise me again soon especially to this amazing hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Gillson-Hill
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Whilst I concur with other reviews here on the site regarding the hotel in general, staff very friendly, very clean, lovely appointed rooms, regrettably various incidents concerning the food element really disappointed us and put a damper on our stay.
Before I elaborate I would say that the hotel staff did try to put things right and did compensate us for the errors.
Issue 1: My husband has a severe food allergy with peppers. This was confirmed at the point of booking and when we ordered the meal on the first night it was confirmed again. We were assured that this was all in hand. So when the canapes arrived...yes you guessed it.. they contained peppers.
Issue 2: We were the first two to order our meals, how could they get my starter wrong, but they did.
Issue 3: Main course, the meat was fine, but the vegetables had obviously been out for a while under under a heat light and had crusted over.
In recognition of the issues we were not charged for dinner and "upgraded" to the £ 55.00 menu for the second night, but no one told us until....we encountered Issue 4.
Issue 4: The Table d hote menu at £ 35.00 was given to us to choose our second night meal. There were 3 choices for main course, fish,, fish and ox tail.not exactly inspiring and certainly not worth £ 35.00 . We asked to speak with Chef, who refused to come out then the duty manager came and spoke to us and other guests who also were disgruntled on the menu choice. As I mentioned previously the matter was dealt with in a professional manner but you cant help think that all these issues were certainly very avoidable.
We did select items for the £ 55.00 menu and the food we described as adequate.

Also note: The spa does not have a swimming pool,

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taunton
3 mi away
#2 of 2 in Wellington
Blorenge House
Blorenge House
#10 of 17 in Taunton

Been to The Mount Somerset Hotel? Share your experiences!