“Very nice Spa and lunch experience”

The Mount Somerset Hotel
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Chard, United Kingdom
“Very nice Spa and lunch experience”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Mu husband bought us a Winter Spa experience (one hour treatment, full access to the spa, champagne 2 course lunch included). The Spa is small but has been done beautifully. The only disappointment was the Relaxation Room which was a bit like a waiting room and not very warm so we weren't tempted to go in. We arrived about 10.30 and had the place to ourselves which was lovely. We had half an hour to try out the spa facilities. The Experience Shower didn't really work but the hot tub, sauna and steam room were just fine. We had massages for an hour - absolute bliss! - then another hour in the spa until lunch. People were beginning to come in as we came out of our massages and I can imagine it getting very crowded very quickly. We went over to the main hotel (the spa is a small building behind the main hotel building) for lunch. We were brought drinks and menus in the lounge, very nice. We had to wait about 30 mins for lunch from ordering, but bubbly was waiting on the table when we got there, which helped! The rooms in the hotel were all very lovely and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Lunch was delicious! We went for 3 courses instead of the two and had some wine with the main course. All in all it only added about another £20 to the day. We thoroughly enjoyed the meal and wine and again, service was very good. We would be more than happy to repeat our experience there and might even try it for lunch or dinner (we live about 40 minutes away).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Crewkerne, Somerset
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

I'll try and be concise.
Suite (Ashill) very well appointed no complaints.
Staff friendly and attentive.
Food: extra little nibbles at bar etc, very good
Dinner: Starter and desert good; main course (john dorry fillets) dry and awful and offered a complimentary cup of coffee as an apology!!!
Breakfast: the 'full English' was a tale of two cities, bacon and mushroom good, eggs and sausage awful. ( overcooked eggs and cereal filled sausage.)
Would we go back? Probably not.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Sandy1941
Torquay
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

I arrived full of expectations but they were soon dashed. Not that warm a welcome, could be described as pleasant if not gushing. I was shown around the spa which didn't take long. Couldn't believe that was all there was. The 'relaxation' room was like a waiting room, and there wasn't room for everybody. Everything was too cramped, especially the locker room. Hairdryer shot out only slight warm air. Treatments were good, but with products I'd never heard of. Wouldn't bother again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Minehead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I've been before, on a glorious summers day and I can highly recommend doing this as you get to use the sun terrace and loungers. This time a group of 5 of us went on a wet day when it was quite busy and there wasn't really anywhere to just sit and relax. Having been before I knew this might be an issue with five of us so we organised our glass of Prosecco and cream tea (part of the Travel Zoo offer we'd booked) for 11:30m and were able to have most of the chairs in the small relaxation room to ourselves. We ate lunch in the main hotel as there was much more space even though there was a wedding fair on. We all enjoyed our treatments and made good use of all of the facilities. The therapy pool was full all morning but we managed to get it to ourselves in the afternoon. The staff were great, it was clean and tidy, and when one of the sandwiches appeared with the wrong filling we were told to keep it with their compliments and the correct one would be along shortly - and it was.
The downsides were that the Experience Shower was not working properly, the lights around the foot spa and one of the taps on the foot spa were not working properly. We filled in a feedback form (Sunday) and today (Tuesday) I received a very polite email thanking me for my comments and that they will be working on the issues raised.
Overall we had an enjoyable time and I would go back on a week day in the summer with a Travelzoo voucher.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I booked the Travel zoo deal for my Mum for Christmas and we came to the Spa on Friday 28th February.

We were shown to the Spa and first impressions was it was very small, but didn't pass judgement as we had only just arrived. Listed below are the issues

Locker rooms

I was locker 1 which was right behind the door, a number of times I was hit in the eye by the door and in the end used to lean my body weight in it to stop people opening it quickly. We assumed that this was small as only a locker room and thought the changing room would be the bigger area to get changed

Changing room

Oh my god!! One toilet and one shower for the whole spa for ladies, disgusting especially when a number of times you were unable too use the toilet as there was a lock to main changing room door. In the end we used the men's. the shower in the men's was full of clumps of hair and the remains of a hair colour tube which I had to remove myself in order to use as no members of staff were available. The changing rooms were also not very clean.

Relaxation room

Well more like a patient waiting room!! Not enough chairs for everyone to use who was in the spa, not enough space to have cream tea or lunch without some of us sitting on the floor or eating on our laps. Garden furniture not ideal for relaxing in...where are the recliners that are used in spas.

Experience shower

This did not work!

The lighting on the floor in the area near the foot spas were broken

Treatment: Pedicure

I thought I had a 45minute pedicure but was only 30mins and was told would take 1hour for nails to dry!! I had booked for lunch in the hotel at 1230 and my pedicure ended at 11.30. Due to the drying time I went to lunch at 12.40 however when returning from lunch an hour later and removing my socks my nail polish was all damaged!! Not impressed. Also no where to sit whilst the hours drying time as all seats in relaxation room were full.

Overall
Very disappointed and think over sold and desciption not accurate. Would not recommend this to anyone it is adequate for part of a monthly gym membership but is totally Misold as a spa day. We also got locked out of the spa as were not told the code to get in the door. Had to find someone and ask...his comment "idiots they are not telling you the code". Only decent thing was the food. very glad I have not paid full spa price!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Vicky W
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My wife and I just spent one night at the lovely Mount Somerset hotel. The room was very nice and spacious, with a large bathroom with double shower and roll- top bath.
Staff were very pleasant and the breakfast was of a very high standard.
The hotel itself is comfortable and beautifully furnished, and has a relaxed atmosphere.
There is just one negative - the spa is very small. It's well equipped with a jacuzzi, steam room, sauna, foot spas and 'experience' shower (which wasn't working properly), but lacked any space to sit and relax. We took books to the spa thinking we'd be able to lie on loungers and read between sessions but there is literally nowhere to sit, so we didn't spend as much time there as we'd anticipated. We planned to use the spa the next day too but there were so many groups of non-residents using the faculties we didn't bother which was a shame because the spa was one of the reasons we chose the hotel.
All in all we had a pleasant stay and would recommend the hotel, but be aware of the limited size of the spa.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely. We stayed in a deluxe room. Top grade rooms have hot tubs.