“Beautiful location and rooms - food very average”

The Mount Somerset Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Stayed for one night on business. The room - Durston - was amazing. Very comfortable and spacious. Only drawback is that being near the landin you hear everything going on at reception and in the hallway. The gap at the bottom of the bedroom door doesn't help. Dinner was average - they aren't trying to impress, and the breakfast was awful. Tinned? orange juice, poached eggs good - they looked free range - but the sausage was raw/uncooked inside. Such a pity, as the building and grounds are wonderful.

Room Tip: Avoid Durston if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank edm1887

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Purchased a spa deal for my Mum and I, thankfully it was only £29 each. Has a lovely Breakfast within the hotel. The spa was very disappointing. Far to small for the amount of people booked in. No lounging space between spa use, only a tiny waiting room/ relaxation room that seated 6 people. Locker room tiny. ONE changing room with one toilet and a shower for all females using the spa. So if someone was using the shower they could lock the door and then no toilet available. Massage was great but overall very disappointed.
It needs a pool, lounging space, improved changing area and more toilets. Hotel and grounds stunning.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Nicolette1974
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Mu husband bought us a Winter Spa experience (one hour treatment, full access to the spa, champagne 2 course lunch included). The Spa is small but has been done beautifully. The only disappointment was the Relaxation Room which was a bit like a waiting room and not very warm so we weren't tempted to go in. We arrived about 10.30 and had the place to ourselves which was lovely. We had half an hour to try out the spa facilities. The Experience Shower didn't really work but the hot tub, sauna and steam room were just fine. We had massages for an hour - absolute bliss! - then another hour in the spa until lunch. People were beginning to come in as we came out of our massages and I can imagine it getting very crowded very quickly. We went over to the main hotel (the spa is a small building behind the main hotel building) for lunch. We were brought drinks and menus in the lounge, very nice. We had to wait about 30 mins for lunch from ordering, but bubbly was waiting on the table when we got there, which helped! The rooms in the hotel were all very lovely and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Lunch was delicious! We went for 3 courses instead of the two and had some wine with the main course. All in all it only added about another £20 to the day. We thoroughly enjoyed the meal and wine and again, service was very good. We would be more than happy to repeat our experience there and might even try it for lunch or dinner (we live about 40 minutes away).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I'll try and be concise.
Suite (Ashill) very well appointed no complaints.
Staff friendly and attentive.
Food: extra little nibbles at bar etc, very good
Dinner: Starter and desert good; main course (john dorry fillets) dry and awful and offered a complimentary cup of coffee as an apology!!!
Breakfast: the 'full English' was a tale of two cities, bacon and mushroom good, eggs and sausage awful. ( overcooked eggs and cereal filled sausage.)
Would we go back? Probably not.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Sandy1941
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I arrived full of expectations but they were soon dashed. Not that warm a welcome, could be described as pleasant if not gushing. I was shown around the spa which didn't take long. Couldn't believe that was all there was. The 'relaxation' room was like a waiting room, and there wasn't room for everybody. Everything was too cramped, especially the locker room. Hairdryer shot out only slight warm air. Treatments were good, but with products I'd never heard of. Wouldn't bother again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I've been before, on a glorious summers day and I can highly recommend doing this as you get to use the sun terrace and loungers. This time a group of 5 of us went on a wet day when it was quite busy and there wasn't really anywhere to just sit and relax. Having been before I knew this might be an issue with five of us so we organised our glass of Prosecco and cream tea (part of the Travel Zoo offer we'd booked) for 11:30m and were able to have most of the chairs in the small relaxation room to ourselves. We ate lunch in the main hotel as there was much more space even though there was a wedding fair on. We all enjoyed our treatments and made good use of all of the facilities. The therapy pool was full all morning but we managed to get it to ourselves in the afternoon. The staff were great, it was clean and tidy, and when one of the sandwiches appeared with the wrong filling we were told to keep it with their compliments and the correct one would be along shortly - and it was.
The downsides were that the Experience Shower was not working properly, the lights around the foot spa and one of the taps on the foot spa were not working properly. We filled in a feedback form (Sunday) and today (Tuesday) I received a very polite email thanking me for my comments and that they will be working on the issues raised.
Overall we had an enjoyable time and I would go back on a week day in the summer with a Travelzoo voucher.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I booked the Travel zoo deal for my Mum for Christmas and we came to the Spa on Friday 28th February.

We were shown to the Spa and first impressions was it was very small, but didn't pass judgement as we had only just arrived. Listed below are the issues

Locker rooms

I was locker 1 which was right behind the door, a number of times I was hit in the eye by the door and in the end used to lean my body weight in it to stop people opening it quickly. We assumed that this was small as only a locker room and thought the changing room would be the bigger area to get changed

Changing room

Oh my god!! One toilet and one shower for the whole spa for ladies, disgusting especially when a number of times you were unable too use the toilet as there was a lock to main changing room door. In the end we used the men's. the shower in the men's was full of clumps of hair and the remains of a hair colour tube which I had to remove myself in order to use as no members of staff were available. The changing rooms were also not very clean.

Relaxation room

Well more like a patient waiting room!! Not enough chairs for everyone to use who was in the spa, not enough space to have cream tea or lunch without some of us sitting on the floor or eating on our laps. Garden furniture not ideal for relaxing in...where are the recliners that are used in spas.

Experience shower

This did not work!

The lighting on the floor in the area near the foot spas were broken

Treatment: Pedicure

I thought I had a 45minute pedicure but was only 30mins and was told would take 1hour for nails to dry!! I had booked for lunch in the hotel at 1230 and my pedicure ended at 11.30. Due to the drying time I went to lunch at 12.40 however when returning from lunch an hour later and removing my socks my nail polish was all damaged!! Not impressed. Also no where to sit whilst the hours drying time as all seats in relaxation room were full.

Very disappointed and think over sold and desciption not accurate. Would not recommend this to anyone it is adequate for part of a monthly gym membership but is totally Misold as a spa day. We also got locked out of the spa as were not told the code to get in the door. Had to find someone and ask...his comment "idiots they are not telling you the code". Only decent thing was the food. very glad I have not paid full spa price!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Vicky W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taunton
Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant
#9 of 17 in Taunton
Blorenge House
Blorenge House
#10 of 17 in Taunton

Been to The Mount Somerset Hotel? Share your experiences!