“Spa Facilities and Afternoon Tea”

The Mount Somerset Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Spa Facilities and Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I recently treated myself to use the spa facilities at the hotel when staying near the area and had ordered a high tea. I really enjoyed my time in the spa though the facilities are indeed very small, but since I had gone there on my own, there was very little competition to use specific facilities and I found myself having the jacuzzi and steam room completely to myself which was divine (though would have been cramped to share with more than a couple of other people. Sadly the 'experience showers' weren't working which was a shame as I would have liked to try those out. It was also sunny so people were able to use the very comfortable sun-loungers outside. When I saw how small and cramped the relaxation room was upstairs I was very pleased about this!. Changing facilities were also very small, but as I am disabled I was able to use the excellent disabled changing facilities in the gym opposite.

As a vegetarian, I had ordered tea in advance and also made sure that this information was correct when I arrived. Further I was asked questions about what I would and wouldn't eat when I went to sit down for my tea. I had to wait a little while, so I assumed it was very made fresh for me, despite the advance order. The tea - which was very expensive - was a real disappointment. The bread was 'plastic' bread from a packet and my fillings were completely unimaginative - just tomato with no seasoning in one, and cucumber with no seasoning in another. I don't even recall what the third one was. I left a couple of sweet things as I wasn't sure about the ingredients. The scone was mediocre. However, there were two treats I really enjoyed - one was a small lemon curd tart with beautifully made buttery pastry and fresh blueberries on top, and the other was a strawberry chocolate. On the positive side, it was very well presented, the staff were very friendly and helpful, and the setting was truly lovely. I sat outside afterwards on their patio in the sunshine enjoying the garden and lawns and general vista. I imagine it is a beautiful place to stay, but it's high tea did not get my vote.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Brenda D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This hotel is situated in top of a small hill and so, offers some fantastic views of the landscape around, if the weather is good. The room I was staying was huge and I especially liked the big bathroom. The gym was reasonably big and would be 3.5/5. The spa facility was excellent as well but would be 4/5 because some of the jet streams were not working. The water therapy jacuzzi, however, was fantastic. I would give 2/5 to the breakfast, from quality and presentation point of view. On one of the days, I was in a bit of a hurry and I was told 15 minutes after I ordered that the food wasn't available. So, I had to leave without having breakfast. The breakfast starts from 7:30 am which can improve by starting at 7:00. Overall, 3/5

Room Tip: I was in Corfe, which had decent views, large bathroom. My colleague was staying in Chedzoy which wa...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Ayan_On_Road
taunton somerset uk
Reviewed 5 April 2014

What an incredible gift. My daughter took me to Mount Somerset for afternoon tea and it was fantastic. I've booked to take a friend on her 60th birthday soon. I cannot comment on the rooms as we live in the area so would not need to stay overnight at the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank hazelgee
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We regularly visit this hotel with my elderly mother. The ambience is good and nice airy and well decorated small hotel surrounded by pretty grounds and easy parking. The food is always good quality ingredients well prepared. I took my mother yesterday to the Mother's day event for lunch. It was buzzing (nice to see) and had a lovely ensemble playing in the dining room - gentle and well sung. The waiting staff are attentive and great. I was asked about the quality of our food and there was only one tiny disappointment and that was probably my elderly mother's normal wonderful tasty beef was quite tough to cut this time - most unusual for this chef (but had great flavour) and all else was superbly done including a little present for each mother. The starter (home cured smoked salmon was great as were the desert - especially my lemon tart). So really recommend this hotel for the experience. BTW the staff were very disappointed to hear of the slight disappointment of our meat and did pass on our views to the chef (not sure of his view but probably he would prefer to have cooked the beef rare and we both had a well done and medium) so you could blame us!
PS never stayed at this hotel only ever had lunch and afternoon teas

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Launceston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Have just had the most perfect Sunday lunch / Mother's Day celebration, simply heavenly. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds, lovely garden and patio area and the restaurant was very traditional with crisp linen table cloths and napkins. The lunch........ Wow!! The best Yorkshire puddings I have ever seen. Three courses for £29. The food was lovely, well presented, plenty of it and nothing was too much trouble for the staff who were all lovely. They had a jazz singer in the restaurant at lunchtime and although I liked it, we were very close to the singer so it was a bit loud, but she had a super voice!

The Spa was a nice setting but a little bit small and I think quite pricey but was still a nice way to start the day.

We didn't stay overnight but have decided that we'd like to and if in the area would definitely go back.

Lovely day - thank you

Room Tip: Didn't stay so can't comment on bedrooms (can't undo the ticking of sleep quality rating...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sharon2104
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Stayed for one night on business. The room - Durston - was amazing. Very comfortable and spacious. Only drawback is that being near the landin you hear everything going on at reception and in the hallway. The gap at the bottom of the bedroom door doesn't help. Dinner was average - they aren't trying to impress, and the breakfast was awful. Tinned? orange juice, poached eggs good - they looked free range - but the sausage was raw/uncooked inside. Such a pity, as the building and grounds are wonderful.

Room Tip: Avoid Durston if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank edm1887
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Purchased a spa deal for my Mum and I, thankfully it was only £29 each. Has a lovely Breakfast within the hotel. The spa was very disappointing. Far to small for the amount of people booked in. No lounging space between spa use, only a tiny waiting room/ relaxation room that seated 6 people. Locker room tiny. ONE changing room with one toilet and a shower for all females using the spa. So if someone was using the shower they could lock the door and then no toilet available. Massage was great but overall very disappointed.
It needs a pool, lounging space, improved changing area and more toilets. Hotel and grounds stunning.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Nicolette1974
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taunton
The Castle at Taunton
Holiday Inn Express Taunton M5 Jct 25
Brookfield House
Brookfield House
#1 of 17 in Taunton

Been to The Mount Somerset Hotel? Share your experiences!