“Robin Shore”

The Mount Somerset Hotel
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed overnight in chedzoy room and had a spa treatment each.
From the moment we stepped into this fine establishment we were made to feel very special!
The quality of service and standard of food here is to be fair, the best I have ever encountered!
Spa facilities are fabulous!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robshore69

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Had a Buy a Gift voucher for afternoon tea for 2.
I was given a gift that was not suitable so paid extra to upgrade to this one, so don't know the actual cost. The price on the menu was £37 for 2 and as such didn't really represent good value for money.
The atmosphere was nice and the balance was about right between attentiveness and privacy. However, we were never asked if we would like any more sandwiches or cake, only tea.
There was the equivalent of 2 slices of bread each and one scone, a couple of bitesize sweet things and a desert in a slim glass.It was a nice experience but not all the sweet selection was to my taste and I would have preferred more bias towards savoury.
If you get it at a good enough price or as a gift it's fine - but not worth the price on the menu.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sandra999
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights at this luxury regency hotel recently and found the food and service to be very good. 3 course meal a la carte was delicious but unfortunately the main was only warm and was served on hot plates. Some of the staff need further training ie when presented with cheese the waitress was unsure on the names of all the cheeses. We later found out that she had only been here a week so understandable. My husbands starter was exceptional scallops with goats cheese and tempura anchovies and blue cheese dressing. Overall good value

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I recently treated myself to use the spa facilities at the hotel when staying near the area and had ordered a high tea. I really enjoyed my time in the spa though the facilities are indeed very small, but since I had gone there on my own, there was very little competition to use specific facilities and I found myself having the jacuzzi and steam room completely to myself which was divine (though would have been cramped to share with more than a couple of other people. Sadly the 'experience showers' weren't working which was a shame as I would have liked to try those out. It was also sunny so people were able to use the very comfortable sun-loungers outside. When I saw how small and cramped the relaxation room was upstairs I was very pleased about this!. Changing facilities were also very small, but as I am disabled I was able to use the excellent disabled changing facilities in the gym opposite.

As a vegetarian, I had ordered tea in advance and also made sure that this information was correct when I arrived. Further I was asked questions about what I would and wouldn't eat when I went to sit down for my tea. I had to wait a little while, so I assumed it was very made fresh for me, despite the advance order. The tea - which was very expensive - was a real disappointment. The bread was 'plastic' bread from a packet and my fillings were completely unimaginative - just tomato with no seasoning in one, and cucumber with no seasoning in another. I don't even recall what the third one was. I left a couple of sweet things as I wasn't sure about the ingredients. The scone was mediocre. However, there were two treats I really enjoyed - one was a small lemon curd tart with beautifully made buttery pastry and fresh blueberries on top, and the other was a strawberry chocolate. On the positive side, it was very well presented, the staff were very friendly and helpful, and the setting was truly lovely. I sat outside afterwards on their patio in the sunshine enjoying the garden and lawns and general vista. I imagine it is a beautiful place to stay, but it's high tea did not get my vote.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Brenda D
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This hotel is situated in top of a small hill and so, offers some fantastic views of the landscape around, if the weather is good. The room I was staying was huge and I especially liked the big bathroom. The gym was reasonably big and would be 3.5/5. The spa facility was excellent as well but would be 4/5 because some of the jet streams were not working. The water therapy jacuzzi, however, was fantastic. I would give 2/5 to the breakfast, from quality and presentation point of view. On one of the days, I was in a bit of a hurry and I was told 15 minutes after I ordered that the food wasn't available. So, I had to leave without having breakfast. The breakfast starts from 7:30 am which can improve by starting at 7:00. Overall, 3/5

Room Tip: I was in Corfe, which had decent views, large bathroom. My colleague was staying in Chedzoy which wa...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Ayan_On_Road
Reviewed 5 April 2014

What an incredible gift. My daughter took me to Mount Somerset for afternoon tea and it was fantastic. I've booked to take a friend on her 60th birthday soon. I cannot comment on the rooms as we live in the area so would not need to stay overnight at the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank hazelgee
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We regularly visit this hotel with my elderly mother. The ambience is good and nice airy and well decorated small hotel surrounded by pretty grounds and easy parking. The food is always good quality ingredients well prepared. I took my mother yesterday to the Mother's day event for lunch. It was buzzing (nice to see) and had a lovely ensemble playing in the dining room - gentle and well sung. The waiting staff are attentive and great. I was asked about the quality of our food and there was only one tiny disappointment and that was probably my elderly mother's normal wonderful tasty beef was quite tough to cut this time - most unusual for this chef (but had great flavour) and all else was superbly done including a little present for each mother. The starter (home cured smoked salmon was great as were the desert - especially my lemon tart). So really recommend this hotel for the experience. BTW the staff were very disappointed to hear of the slight disappointment of our meat and did pass on our views to the chef (not sure of his view but probably he would prefer to have cooked the beef rare and we both had a well done and medium) so you could blame us!
PS never stayed at this hotel only ever had lunch and afternoon teas

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taunton
3 mi away
Holiday Inn Taunton M5, Jct. 25
The Cleve Hotel & Spa
The Cleve Hotel & Spa
#2 of 2 in Wellington

Been to The Mount Somerset Hotel? Share your experiences!