“Good cake but could definitely improve elsewhere”
Review of Roots Cafe - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Roots Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: A nice cafe in Taunton, deserves a listing.
Taunton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good cake but could definitely improve elsewhere”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I have been here a few times for lunch or a cake and cuppa. The staff are generally very polite and friendly (I've had the odd young girl who didn't have very good people skills) and the food and cakes are always delicious however the overall service isn't that efficient and unfortunately the last 2 times I've visited I have sat down at a sticky table.

Great cakes, good meals, ok service, poor housekeeping.

• Visited November 2013

Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
“Customer service & Hair in food.”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I have used Roots cafe on my visits to taunton, i today took a close friend who was over from LA visiting and my 10yr old daughter. We waited around 45min to get served and there was hair in my daughters jacket potato. I requested a refund and a replacement. I went to the back of the cafe so not to cause a scene. We were then refunded and told to go the the front of the cafe to cue and purchase a replacement. I asked to speak to the manager and she stated that it couldn't have come from any of her staff as she has a professional Kitchen. I stated i did not dispute this but the hair came from somewhere. I said my daughter has not eaten and your not willing to replace the food. My daughter was upset so i refrained from saying anything further. This customer service is nothing more than shocking and i will for one never go back to this cafe. My daughter, guest and I were made to feel like we were the ones at fault for asking for a replacement and actually we only were refunded for the jacket potato that my daughter didnt eat....how can that be right.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank studavies2013
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Bad housekeeping habits!”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Oh boy! Was heading here for an afternoon cuppa and cake only to see something that made me turn on my heel and head off somewhere else. A member of staff was cleaning the inside top glass shelf of the display cabinet. Spraying cleaner onto the glass with uncovered food on the next shelf down! The cleaner must have gone onto the food underneath - any spray produces a mist! I could not believe my eyes. Such a shame as it was to be my first visit and the cakes always looked inviting.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Loves2lunch
Milverton, null, United Kingdom
“Birthday cakes”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Recently purchased special cake comprising of a mixture of vegan cup cakes & vegetarian brownies, delivered to party & displayed. Tasted Fantastic, lovely & moist, guests commented that they would never have guessed that they were eating speciality cake. Able to freeze remainder.
Expensive, but worth it

• Visited October 2013
Somerset
“Gone down hill”
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

My friends and I always chose this place for lunch before the summer, on returning here in October all I can say is we are highly disappointed. We used to refer to this as 'our usual' not anymore! They've changed the menu for the worse, portion sizes are worse and service hasn't improved. You can't even get your sandwich toasted in here anymore and their choice of fillings has reduced dramatically. Unless they change it we'll go elsewhere!

• Visited October 2013