“carrot cake dry, rest of the food ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Roots Cafe - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Roots Cafe
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating
Description: A nice cafe in Taunton, deserves a listing.
Taunton
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“carrot cake dry, rest of the food ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

been here a few times, food is usually ok, last time the piece of carrot cake I had was very dry.
Shame it is closed now, one less place in Taunton, it was usually open in the evenings

• Visited March 2014

Taunton, United Kingdom
“Gone downhill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Eaten here several times over past few months Starfed off as all good but quality and service has gone downhill and Staff seem a little disinterested I can only hope it gets back to as good as it was when when we first tried it

• Visited May 2014
Taunton, United Kingdom
“STAY AWAY IF YOU HAVE FOOD ALLERGIES!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We went there with my 18 month old son who has multiple food allergies, so the 'vegan' menu was ideal. Although the wedges are sold as a vegan option, I asked out of habit if they were dairy free. I was told yes. When I asked what was in them I was told 'potato and spices' and was also assured they were cooked away from any foods containing dairy. After a previous bad experience here, I asked if they were homemade. When I was told 'No' I asked how they could be sure they were dairy free. The manager intervened and assured me they were dairy free, but made a big fuss of checking with the kitchen, something it shouldn't have taken 5 mins of questioning for! Sure enough, they contain MILK! (Vegan friendly hey??). Our alternative was then cooked with the dairy laden food! My son has an iGE positive allergy, so could have been very unwell! I was argued with by the manager and told, in a packed cafe, I hadn't asked if the food was cooked separately. And a final, flippant 'well some people have more allergies than others'!!! Umm, I didn't go in, list his allergies and demand a menu tailored to him!! I asked a question, got a wrong, ignorant answer then got argued with and called a liar. Appalling service and I was too upset to eat my undercooked burger which managed to take 45 minutes to arrive!!!

• Visited April 2014
“Never disappointed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Lovely coffee and the food options that are available are homemade and delicious.

I like that no salad garnish is added to the sandwiches to stop the waste as many people leave it. If you want some salad you can purchase some from a plentiful salad bar.

Try the white hot chocolate. Yummy

Visited February 2014
Taunton
“Poor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

We recently paid a visit to this cafe in Taunton and enquired about their gluten free/dairy free cakes. We tried 3 of the cakes that were on offer. One of the cakes were fine but the other 2 were very dry. The apple crumble cake was so dry and although we are not ones to make a fuss, we felt that we really needed to inform the young lady behind the counter. Her reply was "you must of had one of the dry bits' I agreed and pointed out that it was too dry to serve customers.
There was no apology, no offer of alternative cake or any further comment. We were very disappointed and would not recommend them

• Visited February 2014