“Excellent food”

Cuisines: Chinese
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I worked for China Town so I used to get free food at the end of the night. At first I was only working one or two nights a week, so mainly I was eating chicken balls all of the time, but then I started working more and more, so I ended up trying most of the dishes.

If you like pork then try the pork in satay sauce it is mmmm. Most if not all of the food there is spot on. They only have the one chef, and on a weekend then his good lady is doing the fried stuff.

They are new to Taunton and work very hard. I am glad to say that I worked and tasted the food here, as I have only been to four Chinese iin my life. Two was in Weston super Mare, and two in Taunton. I would recomend this if you are visiting in Taunton, if you want Chinese cooking. The two in Weston was a sit down and takeaway resturant, and one a takeaway. China Town is purely a take away, not the best looking of places, but the food does the talking.

Parking is akward and best to park after 6pm as no traffic wardens. You still need to be careful about the traffic though on East Reach as you are pulling out. So unless you are really hungry then 8pm is the best time to go. Delivery is £1.00 for most areas unless you are 3 miles or more.

Deffinatly worth a try.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank MarkTA11SX

Somerset
“What a great find!”
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We visited this takeaway last week because our usual one was shut for Chinese New Year. We made our descision based on the previous review. We're glad we did. The food was amongst the best we have ever had from a Chinese in Taunton. The dumplings, as previously mentioned, were moist and succulent. The crispy chicken with carrot and chilli was just that - crispy, unlke some of the soggy offerings you get from other places. The singapore vermicelli was lovely with just the right amount of heat. The foo young was moist and beautifully cooked, not dry and rubbery lke some. The squid with pepper and chilli was fabulous - the squid cooked to perfection and finally the duck with plum sauce was faultless. The portions were huge - almost twice as much as we've had elsewhere and to top it off we were given a massive bag of prawn crackers and a two litre of bottle of Diet Coke for free. We've found a new favourite and will certainly be returning!

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Dougal00
London
“By Far the Best Chinese Dim Sum in Taunton”
Reviewed 26 November 2012

I moved back to Taunton from London, where you are spoilt for choice when it comes to good value and quality Chinese food delivery - lots of competition! China Town is, in my experience, far and away the best round here, and I've tried a lot of the competition.

Bear in mind I only really eat dim-sum/starters and shredded duck. Dim-sum is a good indicator if a Chinese restaurant knows what they are doing/care. This place clearly does.

Their Grilled Pork dumplings are juicy and delicious and come with their own special soy sauce as they should do. I have searched high and low round here for these! (qty x 6)

The chicken satay on skewers are moist and come with a substantial peanut sauce (qty x 4). Other appetisers I've had have all been lovely (crab claws, prawn toast, steamed dumplings). Aromatic shredded duck was also fine.

Each dish comes with it's own soy, and you get the usual prawn crackers free when you spend over £10 (something China China didn't bother with when I spent £45).

Note: I have put the quantities next to the dumplings and satay as some other restaurants in Taunton have got into a bad habit of providing minimal portions - i.e. China China and their takeaway across the road give you only 2 chicken satay for the same price, or only 3 grilled pork dumplings, again for the same price. I really don't like being ripped off.

So impressed I order a delivery once a week. So much better value and quality than anywhere else round here.

• Visited November 2012