“The best steak we have ever had!”

The Holman Clavel Inn
Ranked #56 of 258 Restaurants in Taunton
Price range: US$6 - US$23
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We reopened under new management just before Christmas. We are a real country pub, with good ales, cider, wine, food and company. No telly or machines... children, dogs, walkers, cyclists and muddy boots are very welcome. All of our food is sourced from local farmers, suppliers and local businesses. We cater for gluten free and vegetarians. We advise that you inquire for bookings and any questions regarding the food as our menu is frequently changing. As well as having tables in the bar area we have a splendidly large dining table that can seat up to 24, so bear us in mind for banquets! We will be having local musicians playing (Irish style sessions) every first Thursday of the month. Come along and enjoy a drink and the local talent we are lucky enough to have!
Taunton, United Kingdom
“The best steak we have ever had!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Lovely atmosphere, amazing food. Hot stone steak was out of this world. Thank you for a lovely evening. Will be back again and have been recommending you all week!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank bigbird93

Somerset
“Perfect food, perfect ambience.”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have been to the Holman Clavel twice now and thoroughly enjoyed both times. My husband and I are both "foodies" and having sampled most of the local establishments we were looking for somewhere different to celebrate our anniversary for lunch. A friend had raved about this place so we thought we would give it a go. We weren't disappointed. It was nothing like the "spit and sawdust" place we remembered from years ago. It had been transformed in every way. Beautiful bar tended by the amusing Aaron, generous size tables, comfy ambience and facilities for excellent private dining. Now, onto the food! I am always wary of places that offer a huge menu on the basis that no establishment can prepare fresh food when they offer such a wide range. Here, there are three or four choices for each course and there is no doubt that each dish is individually prepared for the customer eating it. In all my years of eating steak, all over the world, I have never had such fantastic fillet. The second time we went, I had the hot rock surf and turf. The fillet was so magnificent, I kept reducing the time I left the steak on the hot rock until I wasn,t even bothering to cook it at all because it was so delicious. Anyone asking for this steak well done is a philistine!
In between the first and second visit, we had tried to book to take another couple to experience the HC, however MJ had informed us that there was a stag do expected in the Large private dining area and she wouldn't want us to be disturbed by any high jinks! (Although it is not the kind of establishment that would attract the rowdy, bad taste kind of high jinks!) We appreciated the "heads up" and it further proved to us that MJ and her team want their customers to experience the perfect dining experience, individually tailored for each customer. I would highly recommend the HC.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank bushbaby58
London, United Kingdom
“Couldn't have been better.”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We visited the Big Table @ The Holman Clavel on Friday 25th April as the first night of a stag weekend staying at the nearby Widcombe Grange. I was blown away on the night by how accommodating, helpful and completely up for a laugh Mary and her staff were. I was nervous beforehand that we, a group of 16 lads, might be a bit too rowdy for this small country pub, but Mary led the charge for making it a truly memorable night.

The food was delicious. Many of us had the Fillet Steak Hot Stone and everyone said it was up there with the best steaks they've ever had.

The Big Table room was stunning, both intimate and spacious. And the ales and lagers on tap hit the spot. We were even allowed to provide our own music and pretty much had the run of the whole pub.

I only wish it was more local to where I live so I could return.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank carloshenderson
Tours, France
“Farewell party in the Holman Clavel Inn on 4th of July 2013”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I would like to congratulate MJ and W the owner of this nice pub where with some colleagues we celebrated my farewell party, we were almost 50 people sharing a very good buffet prepared by MJ and her staff.
I had also an other opportunity to test this pub with a very very good peace of meat (coming from South Africa if my memory goes well) it was great to taste such a good meal.
So I recommend stongly to test thsi very nice pub.
Thank you very much for these 2 nice meals / Merci beaucoup pour ces 2 bons repas
Patrick (from Tours-France)

• Visited July 2013
Middlewich
“A delightful experience and would highly recommend a visit”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed overnight at The Holman Clavel Inn, followed by lunch for our youngest son's 18 th birthday. We can highly recommend this Inn. The welcome, ambiance, accommodation and food was excellent. Mary very kindly prepared an "Oreo" birthday cake which went down a treat with everyone. The food was of a high standard. We had the ribs, steak on stone and seared sesame tuna, all served with a gourmet salad, sauces (home made) and twice cooked chips. The food was of a high quality and we all thoroughly enjoyed our experience. Mary and her staff were incredibly welcoming and extremely helpful.
The Inn is tucked away in the beautiful Somerset countryside and is located in an idyllic setting. Just want to say a "big thank you" to Mary for a lovely relaxing experience. We shall certainly be returning to this delightful hostelry.

• Visited April 2014