“First class cuisine”

The Holman Clavel Inn
Ranked #45 of 265 Restaurants in Taunton
Price range: US$7 - US$24
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We reopened under new management just before Christmas. We are a real country pub, with good ales, cider, wine, food and company. No telly or machines... children, dogs, walkers, cyclists and muddy boots are very welcome. All of our food is sourced from local farmers, suppliers and local businesses. We cater for gluten free and vegetarians. We advise that you inquire for bookings and any questions regarding the food as our menu is frequently changing. As well as having tables in the bar area we have a splendidly large dining table that can seat up to 24, so bear us in mind for banquets! We will be having local musicians playing (Irish style sessions) every first Thursday of the month. Come along and enjoy a drink and the local talent we are lucky enough to have!
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Friends said we should go - and so we did! The food is first class - better than we had expected! Quality ingredients and you can tell that everything is freshly made and made to order. You will not be disappointed. Great place, great food, great staff. I now have 2 amazing places to eat that are local; Augustus and here! The Holman Clavel is a MUST!

4  Thank h-chilver1977
There are newer reviews for The Holman Clavel Inn

Reviewed 7 June 2014

From the moment you enter the pub you can sense that high quality, attention to detail and comfort are the driving forces behind the dinning experience you about to have.

The warm welcome from the bar staff (Aaron) and friendly banter with him set you up for a relaxed evening ahead. Having opted for the steak on hot rocks we were ask by MJ and Hayley what sauces we would like with our meal, all of which are made fresh in house.

When the steak arrived together with the most perfect chips and a fresh vibrant salad we tucked in to what I can only say is the best steak I have ever had.

That evening was the first of four visits each with different friends all of whom could not remember when they had a steak that good. During these visit we also discovered the ribs, marinated with MJ's secret recipe, as my wife says "heaven on a plate".

They do have a menu but for us the steak and ribs (which we pre order) are just the best, but would suggest you try all aspect of the menu because if the steak and ribs is anything to go by they will be outstanding.

Heading back there again this evening - can't wait.

Tim & Helen

4  Thank twj662
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Lovely atmosphere, amazing food. Hot stone steak was out of this world. Thank you for a lovely evening. Will be back again and have been recommending you all week!

2  Thank bigbird93
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have been to the Holman Clavel twice now and thoroughly enjoyed both times. My husband and I are both "foodies" and having sampled most of the local establishments we were looking for somewhere different to celebrate our anniversary for lunch. A friend had raved about this place so we thought we would give it a go. We weren't disappointed. It was nothing like the "spit and sawdust" place we remembered from years ago. It had been transformed in every way. Beautiful bar tended by the amusing Aaron, generous size tables, comfy ambience and facilities for excellent private dining. Now, onto the food! I am always wary of places that offer a huge menu on the basis that no establishment can prepare fresh food when they offer such a wide range. Here, there are three or four choices for each course and there is no doubt that each dish is individually prepared for the customer eating it. In all my years of eating steak, all over the world, I have never had such fantastic fillet. The second time we went, I had the hot rock surf and turf. The fillet was so magnificent, I kept reducing the time I left the steak on the hot rock until I wasn,t even bothering to cook it at all because it was so delicious. Anyone asking for this steak well done is a philistine!
In between the first and second visit, we had tried to book to take another couple to experience the HC, however MJ had informed us that there was a stag do expected in the Large private dining area and she wouldn't want us to be disturbed by any high jinks! (Although it is not the kind of establishment that would attract the rowdy, bad taste kind of high jinks!) We appreciated the "heads up" and it further proved to us that MJ and her team want their customers to experience the perfect dining experience, individually tailored for each customer. I would highly recommend the HC.

2  Thank bushbaby58
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We visited the Big Table @ The Holman Clavel on Friday 25th April as the first night of a stag weekend staying at the nearby Widcombe Grange. I was blown away on the night by how accommodating, helpful and completely up for a laugh Mary and her staff were. I was nervous beforehand that we, a group of 16 lads, might be a bit too rowdy for this small country pub, but Mary led the charge for making it a truly memorable night.

The food was delicious. Many of us had the Fillet Steak Hot Stone and everyone said it was up there with the best steaks they've ever had.

The Big Table room was stunning, both intimate and spacious. And the ales and lagers on tap hit the spot. We were even allowed to provide our own music and pretty much had the run of the whole pub.

I only wish it was more local to where I live so I could return.

1  Thank carloshenderson