“Welcoming owners, perfect room, great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Yallands Farmhouse

Yallands Farmhouse
Ranked #3 of 56 Taunton B&B and Inns
Overland Park, Kansas
“Welcoming owners, perfect room, great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

I stayed at Yallands Farmhouse B&B while in Staplegrove, outside Taunton, for a family party. Often single rooms small and feel more akin to a mpnastic cell than comfortable bedroom--not at Yallands. The room and en-suite bath were spotless and the decoration inviting. The bed was comfortable, a dressing table and chair provided a place to put on make up or write a letter, an armoire had ample hanging space, and there was even a chair and lamp for reading. The en-suite bathroom was modern with a step-in shower and plenty of towels for wraping up after showering. The owners, Chris and Karen, are charming and made the visit feel more like time with old friends. Having free WiFi in all the rooms was a real bonus. The breakfasts are huge and served in a lovely beamed ceiling room dating from the 1600s and on cool days the fire crackles in the fireplace making the room a cozy place to stop for a drink in the evening. It is possible to request an evening meal with 24hours notice and while I didn't make use of this opportunity, I certainly would do so on another visit. Yallands' location in the midst of modern houses is a surprise, but it feels like you've entered another world. Yallands iis the perfect location for day trips from Staplegrove on the northwest edge of Taunton up toward Exmore or through the valley between the Brendon Hills and the Quantocs to the seaside villages along the Bristol Channel. Not only do I heartily recommend this gem, I know I will return.

Room Tip: There really isn't a bad room. If you need a step-in shower rather than tub be sure to tell the...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Oakham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

I recently stayed at the Yallands Farmhouse B & B in Taunton and have to say it's one of the best I've ever stayed in.

It was like a hidden gem. The pictures on the internet showed a lovely old farmhouse style building, I followed the sat nav onto a housing estate and truly thought it had sent me the wrong way, but I kept going and found the B & B tucked away in the corner of the estate.

The B & B was spotlessly clean but really comfortable and welcoming - furnished in a style that befitted it's era. It was so nice not to be in some generic hotel room - but in such a lovely house.

The gardens were also really very tidy, although it was too cold to go out and enjoy them, they were full of wild birds and I felt as though I was in the country rather than a large town.

The hosts were lovely, I arrived earlier than the proper check in time - but it was no problem, I received a very nice welcome. On being shown to my room it was exactly as shown on the internet and the biggest bonus of all was the bed - it was just so comfy!

Breakfast - on the first day I thought I'd have everything, but couldn't eat it all - everything was beautifully cooked and well presented, right down to their homemade marmalade. After that I reduced my order!

Nothing was too much trouble. I struggled a little with the overhead shower, the hose had an airlock, it was instantly resolved - no fuss, no waiting, no bother.

I stayed for 3 nights and it made an ideal base while I visited family in Taunton.

I would heartily recommend this B & B.

Wendy

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Neath
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

We stayed at Yallands farm, while we were visiting my son in Taunton on Good Friday and we could not have asked for a warmer welcome. Chris and Karen are both excellent hosts who really made us feel at home. The rooms are spotless and have loads of character and the en-suite was new and very roomy. We were lucky to have Chris show us some of the other rooms and each one was different and had its own character, all were beautifully decorated and in keeping with the age of the property which is a Grade 2 listed building. The food was excellent, you must try the home made marmalade !! all in all a perfect stay and we will definitely stay there again.
after reading the Von Clump family review my opinion is they should stay at home.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

My father and I stayed at Yallands when visiting family in Taunton last month. We were so warmly welcomed by Chris and Karen. The twin room was lovely, clean, warm and really spacious with lots of character complete with a spacious ensuite. We spent both evenings enjoying a drink by the open fire chatting away to Chris and Karen and playing with their beautiful dog (not to worry if you are not a dog fan, he is normally kept out of the guest areas but we are a sucker for animals!!). Karen's breakfast is worth the visit alone... I highly recommend the homemade marmalade and the poached eggs. We didn't order food from the restaurant in the evening, but will definitely do so next time we stay.

• Stayed February 2013
Jersey, Channel Islands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

We stayed here for seventh time. As always it was EXCELLENT. Chris and Karen could not have been kinder, even though we did arrive in the middle of her "big" birthday celebrations. The rooms are delightful, check out the newly refurbished family room!!! Breakfast is freshly cooked and delicious, and the evening meals (ordered 24 hours in advance) are first class. Can't wait to stay again. Christine.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

I stayed at Yallands whilst working nearby. I am a woman staying on business on her own and the owners were both really lovely people.
They made me feel welcome and comfortable and even asked me to join in with a family gathering.
The place was immaculate and the food was home cooked and very nice.
I would definitely recommend this B and B to anyone, and would go back there myself.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

Excellent service from the warm welcome on arrival to our final breakfast and sad goodbyes.

Offered drinks, normal teas and coffees and the bonus of a choice of alcoholic drinks as they are licensed

Could not find better hosts than Karen and Chris who advised us of their facilities, showed us to our well fitted and cosy rooms. Cosy nice not small. They also gave advice on facilities in town for eating and shopping.

Never felt more comfy whilst staying away from home

Room Tip: Saw inside tow and both excellent
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business