“Easy to get to”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Easy to get to”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My daughter, granddaughter and I stayed at this Premier Inn for one night on 16 February 2014. As is usual with this chain of hotels the room was clean, comfortable and roomy enough for the three of us. The girl in the reception was very friendly and welcoming and couldn't do enough to help us. I had already paid for the breakfast at the neighbouring Blackbrook Tavern and when we asked if they had a vegetarian option she advised us that if this was not available we could have the price of the breakfast refunded. We did go over to the tavern to enquire whether there was a vegetarian option and this amounted to vegetarian sausage, along with the usual eggs, hash browns, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes. We decided to give it a go, despite the poor reviews on here and wished that we hadn't bothered. We had a nice welcome from the lady who was welcoming customers, but she was the only staff on duty and was running around like a headless chicken most of the time. We asked about vegetarian sausages and she said that she would go and find out for us, this took about 10 minutes as more customers from the Premier Inn kept coming in before she could go and enquire. This was eventually sorted, however I got all my cooked breakfast only to find that there was no brown sauce, which is something I really love with a fry up. I asked about this, after waiting around for about 10-15 minutes none had arrived and I eventually got hold of someone who was checking supplies and she brought me a little pot of sauce. Well done that woman, only problem was my breakfast was now cold! My daughter said that her egg was not cooked properly, the coffee and tea was in flasks which were almost empty and therefore this was cold. I have to say that I doubt very much I would ever have breakfast here again - next time I'll go to the Morrisons down the road.

Room Tip: Keep your windows closed as this is right by the M5, but it is fully double glazed.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Needed to stay on two separate occasions so was hoping the first would be bareable, that it was. On arrival and being new to taunton, the very helpful staff were able to print a map and advise me quickest route to the hospital (was there for placement not because medical emergency!). Room was spacious and warm. Ample car parking. This was the same for both my visits. Good price at £29 a night, however I booked this 2 month's in advanced. Booking a couple of weeks in advanced doubled and even tripled the price this being the only downside to the premier inn.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Wintypoo
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I stay in Premier Inns about 25 nights a year with work and this hotel is the worst I have stayed in.
The reason for my bad review was the bar both service and food was very poor against national standards. I do not expect 5 star service when I pay £54 a night but I do want to be treated like a guest.

Anyway take my advice and try another Preimer Inn if you want a nice meal and a pint after a long day

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Wintypoo
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Taunton Ruishton (M5, J25) Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Thank you for your review. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants. All feedback is of paramount importance as we endeavor to improve our services and meet all of our customers needs. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel.
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Great value for money for sleeping, but dont expect to eat well or enjoy the atmosphere ! Like most budget hotels you are isolated from anywhere, and hotel is full of building contractors and their vans,enjoying communal cigarettes in the entrance areas and the indifferent catering facilities in adjacent hostelry.Still good value.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Timothy R
Paignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

This Premier inn is easily accessed from the M5. Be warned though, it's located off a major roundabout and traffic light inter-section and the traffic is heavy during the rush hour, 4.00 -6.00pm so be patient. The plus point is that, despite it's proximity to the road, traffic noise was not a problem due to the the triple-glazed windows in the room ..
Check-in was quick and efficient and a warm welcome given. There is no lift so be prepared to cart your luggage up the stairs to your floor and then negotiate two or three steps to different levels of that floor.
The room was very clean and the décor smart and up-to-date. Kettle, tea/coffee/ flat-screen TV etc provided, but no easy chair. Bathroom smart and fresh and the shower powerful and steaming hot.
The room was a little chilly until the air-con. kicked in. The room was also quiet due to the triple-glazing so there was no traffic noise despite the room being located at the front and over-looking the main road. Might be a problem if you wanted to open the window for some fresh air though!!

A 5 minute drive would take you to a retail park with a supermarket and other major stores. A pub next door - the Blackbrook Tavern - and a few others within a short distance.

Good value stay! With Premier Inn you know what to expect and the standard of quality on offer.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

I often stay in these budget hotels when traveling with work. Cheap and cheerful is normally the case.

Checked in at 1pm and found room on the ground floor next to the reception. (The sound which I thought I might have wasn't the case)

The room backed onto the car park once again the noise was minimal.

The room itself, cold at first but some warned up (perhaps heating on low for guests would be a nice touch)

Bathroom very cold especially after a red hot shower. Shower was hot and powerful.

Pub next door, friendly staff, seemed to have a decent menu which included a carvery for £5.95 (bargain)

The location was close to the m5, a minute down the road a Sainsburys and asda, bowling, cinema, pc world etc etc.

The only annoying thing about the room was one plug socket spare (2 In total tv and kettle) so I had to run my laptop, phone and kettle which I found annoying even more so that there wasn't any next to the bedside table.

All in all if your after somewhere to sleep you can't go wrong, if you expect 5* living book a 5* hotel and it's 5* prices

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lakey1502
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I pride myself on doing extensive research before an overnight stay and as Premier regulars know what standards to expect - well room wise, reception greetings etc were all as they should be. Sadly however what should have been a pleasant weekend away was ruined by our experiences of the Blackbrook Tavern next door. For a venue that claims to be part of a "Great British Cavery" it needs to seriously re-think it's branding. Having booked a table, sat down, ordered starters (two of which first choice unavailable), ordered carvery, only to be told 20 minutes later no more carvery ... at 7.30pm on a Saturday night! Breakfast next morning ok but again not fault free - cooked breakfast arrived before we'd finished our cereal - no offer to take back and bring later - hence somewhat lukewarm when we came to eat it. As I said no quibble about the Premier Inn itself but would use one of the others in the area if visiting again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple