“Waste of money”

The Maypole Inn, Thurloxton
Ranked #1 of 15 Nightlife in Taunton
More attraction details
Owner description: Quality food at good prices. Family ran homely atmosphere. Dogs more than welcome. Gluten free friendly.
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Having been to the maypole last week,would not recommend to any one service very poor ,food poor,what is with all the rocket just fills up the plate where the food should be.started taking plates while we were still eating.!! Landlady very unfriendly we were an inconvenience it would seem . Waitress's need a bit more training in customer care .will certainly will not be returning any time soon a complete waste of money.!

All reviews
"new owners"
in 8 reviews
"sunday lunch"
in 4 reviews
"good food and friendly service"
"belly pork"
"first class"
"walpole"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Visited today for Sunday lunch. Very friendly welcome. Beautiful pub set in the country side. Our meal was very tasty, can't wait to go back and sample the 'BIG' burgers that kept passing our table-yum yum. The owner was very passionate about his pub and it was an absolute pleasure talking with him. Defiantly recommend a visit to this little treasure of a find. We will be back :-)

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Friendly staff. generous portions and inventive menu. Just what was needed after a days walking in Somerset

1  Thank Carol M
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Popped in for a quick bite to eat. Offered a 2 for £10 menu - seems like the ticket......however ordered a Chicken, Spinach and Potato curry and a Vegetable Jalfrezi. On arrival you couldnt spot the difference, even the waitress recognised that we'd ordered two separate dishes so she took one back to exchange.

On return of the Jalfrezi, once again you couldn't spot the difference. A creamy potato sauce for Jalfrezi for heavens sake!

Told the waitress that we wouldn't pay for the second meal.

On request of the bill the manager provided the full price bill - after too much argy bargey for my liking we eventually paid for half - really poor attitude by the manager, cursing under the breath etc... I wouldn't be surprised if this place folds within the year.

1  Thank Betty G
See more reviews
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

This venue was recommended by a friend.
Perhaps I should say a soon to be ex-friend?
The waiting and bar staff were lovely and just exactly what you would expect to find in a rural Somerset pub.
The menu seemed to be quite well thought out at first glance.
Then the blue cheese theme became apparent.
Blue cheese with everything and everything with blue cheese. Not a problem at all, providing that blue cheese is your thing, although 50% of our party were not a fan of the disgusting, veiny, bacterially infested dairy produce and struggled to find an alternative.
When we did decide on our orders, they were brought forth by said effervescent and helpful, smiley local young ladies with professionalism which belied their pay grade (I assume), only to bring unanimously confused looks from my party of hungry diners.
Our mixed sharing starters were literally running with the cheapest of oil and the side dishes of olives were obviously of the cheapest catering variety swamped in whatever the opposite of extra virgin olive oil is.
The onion rings should have been wrung, the stuffed peppers should have been stuffed through a mangle to rid them of their excessively excessive oil, the fish goujons should have not been fished out if the deep fat fryer for another 5 minutes and the platter of mixed antipasti should have been kept separate from it's own ingredients until the final pico second prior to being served as the entire plate tasted of herring. Not a good thing at all.
The rest of the meal followed this pattern and we departed as quickly as we were able to.
I would like to say once again that the bar and waiting staff were exemplary and that I and the rest of my party thank them and we're happy to leave a 12% tip solely for their efforts and persistence.
I would like to suggest to the chef that he tries some cheese other than blue and tact he may like to purchase the occasional produce not from the budget buckets from his Eurowide mega supplier and that he might benefit from allowing the produce to drain for a time before serving it to his customers, although his drains may suffer. As it stands, I believe it is my drains which will be suffering for days to come.
Would I recommend this place?
Yes: to my constipated friends, but a resounding "no" to my friends with normal bodily functions.
Would I go back? No. Although I genuinely did enjoy the service levels given by the bar & waiting staff & I would like to thank them once again & to wish them all the best in their future endeavours.

3  Thank Agnes C