“A beautiful house in a great setting”

Cedar Falls Health Farm
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Exeter, United Kingdom
“A beautiful house in a great setting”
Reviewed 8 July 2011

I have been to Cedar Falls several times and have found it to be very relaxing on each visit. This time I recommended it to a friend who came with me. She was amazed by the sight of the property which has the air of a country manor house and is set within beautiful grounds containing well established trees and a well laid out golf course. The grounds are also adult only- very welcome to a frazzled Mum having a well deserved break. The visit started well with bright sunshine allowing an indulgent swim in the outdoor pool and laze on sun loungers. Next day the weather was inclement and we had treatments booked so we used the indoor pool and lazed on loungers in the large conservatory area. All the treatments were carried out well by the friendly and professional staff. The general ambience was very relaxing. Food comes from local suppliers and is prepared to a high standard for all meals. There is also well priced refreshments, including wines, available. Talks are laid on each evening- the talk on nutrition we attended was interesting. I would thoroughly recommend the hotel for a relaxing, indulgent break with the opportunity to engage in healthier pursuits-gym; golf; walking; yoga; detox; etc.
Well done all at Cedar Falls! Keep up the good work. I will be back....

Room Tip: Ask for a room ovelrooking the grounds rather than the rear of the house
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank supersoos
HelenClockwork, Marketing Manager at Cedar Falls Health Farm, responded to this review, 9 July 2011
Thank you so much for your lovely review, we are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forwards to welcoming you back again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2011

I had a one night break here with my daughter. We had one of the basic rooms which we found to be bright, clean and had lovely views over the hills. The grounds at Cedar Falls are second to none, really beautiful.
Cedar Falls has a very relaxed atmosphere; we lounged around in our very fluffy dressing gowns all day. It was great to be able to just dip into the pool or use the sauna/steam rooms as and when we wanted.
The staff were incredibly helpful at all times, and very friendly.

We decided to be brave and try the Garra Rufa fish, well what a lovely experience that was, my daughter liked it so much she tried it twice………….and yes our feet felt really soft afterwards. It was very reasonably priced as we took advantage of the special offers that are on during the mornings. We also had a very relaxing back and then hand massages, again excellent.

I would definitely recommend Cedar Falls for anyone who deserves to be pampered and wants to opt out of the demands and stresses of everyday life.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Funhun
HelenClockwork, Marketing Manager at Cedar Falls Health Farm, responded to this review, 1 July 2011
Thank you for your lovely review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We love that our guests can visit us and do as much (or as little!) as they like during their break. Hope to see you again soon!
bristol
Reviewed 14 June 2011

The food is excellent, the pool area is lovely, views and grounds stunning, the staff could not be more helpful.

Room Tip: The upgraded rooms are worth the extra,
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
CedarFallsManagement, Marketing Manager at Cedar Falls Health Farm, responded to this review, 17 June 2011
Thank you for your review. Really pleased that you had a lovely time and we hope to see you again soon!
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I think the recession is starting to hit the morale of some of the staff. Some really don't seem bothered about what you have requested. It's best to ring again to double check if you've made any specific requests as they don't seem to listen or think anything's important to a customer.The food is ok. It all looks a bit tired and needs a good overhaul. The loungers by the pool are such an uncomfortable shape you can't sit properly and can't read. They're all lumps and bumps in the wrong places. The general feel is of sad decay. The funniest thing is the relaxation room where a relaxation session is meant to take place at a set time. I assumed this was a short class with a teacher talking through relaxation techniques. Sadly the lunchtime waiter came down with a seagull cd and spent a long time carshing around trying to fit it in the player and then left us to it. Not at all relaxing but quite humorous. The main highlight is some of the therapists, they are excellent, but it is expensive. I find the day packages not good value for money and with the recession Cedar Falls really needs to get it's act together quickly. I won't be going again unless they come up with some reasonable deals with treatments you can choose rather than a dry float (waste of time) It all looks a bit cluttered and jaded. It depends what you want, I think clintele are looking for something more upmarket and higher quality than this at these prices. It didn't feel like much of a treat. It seems the excellent exercise teacher has gone and it's all a bit military, you may want this but it doesn't really fit with the theme.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Camille2911
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive review.

I am really grateful for your praise of our therapists (they are a great team!) but we obviously have some points to work on in other areas and will endeavour to do so. We receive lots of very positive reviews but it is paramount that every guest goes away feeling really special and we will be acting upon your comments. Just this month we have introduced more flexible (and competitively-priced) day and stay packages so guests can choose a basic day or stay and add on any treatments of their choice.

Once again, thank you for your time. I do hope you will visit us again.
Taunton
Reviewed 9 June 2011

As has been stated in previous reviews, this spa does lack the glitz and glamour of other such establishments. For me, however, this factor makes it all the more appealing. As an exhaused working mother of two boys with little time for myself, I find Cedar Falls the perfect place to escape and relax. There are people there from all walks of life, all body shapes and sizes and all there for different reasons and yet I feel that there is a space for everyone. The pool area, conservatory, jaquzzi and sauna are beautifully refreshing. There are quiet zones with carefully thought out colours, lights and furnishings such as huge beanbags (I normall fall asleep in here for an hour!) The classes are varied and friendly - even when trying something new I've always been made to feel at ease. I've been lucky enough to sample several treatments which have always been to a high standard and professionally done. As soon as I arrive into the beautiful grounds of Cedar Falls, I feel a sense of calm wash over me. I've taken my mum and best friend along on seperate occasions and am hoping to take my husband very soon! I also have to give a mention to the wonderful restaurant - Prior to my first visit I worried that the food may be unsubstantial or lacking in variety but how wrong I was! The food's amazing, as is the whole dining experience, especially the evening meals! The desserts are to die for!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Wow! What a kind review. We're really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forwards to welcoming you again soon.
Bath
Reviewed 18 January 2011

Cedar Falls is a genuine Spa Hotel who soley cater for people wanting a relaxing break away from the hussle and bussle of daily life. Unlike a lot of 'Spa Hotel' this one doesn't have buisness men/women or conferences going on, which makes your stay much more relaxing and comfortable.
The spa facilities are good, with a nice indoor pool that is just about big enough to do lenghts in. The large hot tub above the pool is a good size and is constantly going, unlike some that require a 5 minute break after each use.
The treatment area's are also good and the staff are very informative and friendly. The treatments are a bit pricey but i didn't begrudge paying for them as they were very good.
The Hotel Rooms were disappointing. Carpets in the bathrooms (so 1980's) and everything just looked a bit drab. The rooms are big and beautiful but they just need updating.
The food at Cedar Falls is very good. you get a wide choice from very healthy to a little bit naughty, and it's all delicious. The staff in the restaurant are also very friendly and professional.
The Cedar Falls webite doesn't do it justice and I think they are missing a trick with that one.
Overall we had a good stay and we would go back again but only if they had another good offer on. We paid £95 pp for a one night stay including full use of the facilities, a twin ensuite room, 3 course evening meal and a full breakfast.

• Stayed January 2011
2 Thank Tiddy25
London
Reviewed 14 November 2010

Had a lovely weekend at CF. It's all really inoffensive and pleasant, but don't go along thinking it's Pennyhill Park etc. However, it's everything you need to relax in terms of facilities, sleep, service (Steph is reception is a major asset) and food! House is gorgeous, pretty grounds. Public areas very smart. Rooms totally fine but could do with an overhaul style-wise...lots of chintzy fabric and funny ornaments. Restaurant areas are good. Food is plentiful (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and all healthy, but it all sadly lacks flavour - seasoning and herbs could be handy! Spa area is very limited, which the brochure/website doesn't indicate - small pool, and small sauna/steam (there is another in the changing rooms). Relaxing chairs are VERY uncomfortable, forcing your body into an "S" shape. BUT...it really is all you need, and this is a health spa not a luxury day spa - there being a difference. And the treatments are excellent, extensive selection! Good value for money.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends