“Hmmm.. Bad Place, Good Treatments”

Cedar Falls Health Farm
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Myself and my partner recently came back from an overnight stay. I have to say the grounds are lovely and is a key selling point. However once inside it lacks comfort. The rooms are very dated and the carpets are stained. We were in room 3, which was ok and not badley decorated but the shower was poor! You could ( excuse the term ) pee quicker and the lighting in the room was very poor.

The food was awful. Breakfast and dinner was horrible. Dinner looked like tinned veg, spoon of mash and minced up lamb in a circle cube! Not nice! Breakfast you only get one coffee and then have to ask if you need more! Breakfast is limited with choice. The set menu they have is all you can have, so take snacks if you are fussy or enjoy food.

The bar, I know its a health spa, but like many we went to bar after our eveing meal to then head off to the drawing room. The bar is so limited it makes a standard hotel look fantastic! They need to get more stock and make it more pleaseant for those who do want a nice drink.. No larger, limited spirts! Just plain dull and too expensive.. A 25ml shot of vodka( small measure not standard 35ml) and lemonade £4.95!!! ( for horrible cheap vodka may i add )

The pool area and steam rooms were lovely and relaxing.. The spa treatments were amazing, that is what made our stay, I think its the only thing holding that place together. The Spa team and lovely and welcoming and are more than helpfull.

I would go back for treatments but not stay or eat there! Nice cheaper hotels down the road and use a day pass or just go for treatments.

Room Tip: Not room 3!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vic618

Reviewed 6 February 2012

This is the third time I've been to Cedar Falls with my sister and our mum. It's the perfect place for a relaxing break, where we can catch up and get pampered at the same time. As with previous visits, we stayed in the South Lodge rather than in the main house as we like the privacy in the evenings. The traffic is a bit noisy in the mornings so if you like to sleep late then you may be better staying in the main house. We did feel that the lodge could do with a bit of refurbishing as (although spotless and well kept,) it doesn't seem to have been updated/decorated since our first visit about 7 years ago but this isn't a complaint, just an observation. Each morning we made our own breakfast in the lodge then drove up to the main house in our robes and spent the day lounging in the spa or enjoying the various treatments available. We ate lunch and dinner in the restaurant. The food and service were excellent. We found all the staff to be really attentive, friendly and helpful (especially Fathallah.)
My favourite treatments this visit were the Thai massage and Total Bliss hot stone therapy although they're all so good it's hard to choose. If you've never tried Thai massage I can recommend it....Thongsom was a delightful girl and brilliant at massage. It's a good idea to book treatments in advance as a lot of the therapists are not there full time and only come in for booked appointments.
We are hoping to make this an annual treat from now on!

Room Tip: The South Lodge is a little noisy but lovely and private. It's self catering but I would recomm...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Just had a excellent stay here. The whole experience was very enjoyable, especially the teatments. Lovely setting, nice food, comfortable beds. Left feeling very refreshed and 'normal' ! Can recommed this place with friend or on your own.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I just stayed for 2 nights on a special deal (£100 a night). My room was very comfortable (better than I expected for the price), though our second room was a bit small, and had no room for a bedside table. The hotel is a lovely old house, well looked after and clean. The staff were very helpful and friendly, and we enjoyed the food. Breakfast was very good quality, with a good choice of fruit and cereals followed by a good cooked selection. I found the dinner choices very good, interesting but reasonably healthy. I tried some treatments and fitness classes and had no complaints.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank chapyBristol
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We booked a one night stay in the hotel and used the spa facilities. Lovely and relaxed, rooms were clean and the staff, both hotel and spa, attentive. The food at dinner was very good and the service good. Some aspects of the hotel are a small bit tired but generally a good hotel and would return in the future.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I have stayed at cedar falls for 10 years now and it has always been a special healing place. I was so disappointed to find the wonderful buffet lunch with the amazing salads and fruit salad had been replaced with soup and a sandwich. It spoilt the stay as the lunch was always a highlight of the visit. Also the evening talk has been changed from 8.30 to 5pm. I always found the evening talk a good way to meet other people and fill in the time after dinner especially when staying on your own.
Apart from that the staff were friendly and helpful as usual, the evening meal was lovely and the treatments fantastic. I will return, but do hope the lunch menu will have changed back by then. Staying at Cedar falls was as usual a relaxing, peaceful experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank NkPrsns
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Just had a two night stay at Cedar Falls. Had a lovely relaxing time everything perfect (as always) apart from the new style lunch menu, we use to look forward to the lovely buffet menu (lots to choose from) and lots of fruit it was yummy. Now been replaced with soup, choice of three salads or sandwiches, I asked for a bread roll to go with my soup and was told no.Please bring back the buffet lunch. Anyway, thank you for another lovely break.

• Stayed: December 2011