“Beautiful Building, Relaxing Atmosphere, But Not Luxury”

Cedar Falls Health Farm
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Minehead, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Building, Relaxing Atmosphere, But Not Luxury”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Cedar Falls Health Farm is set in lovely grounds and is a beautiful building.
We checked in and were told the name of our room, but not shown where it was, or even told which direction to go until we asked!!
Most of the experiences at reception were sadly not that good. We generally waited a long time to be acknowledged, and found there was a very loud lady who ignored us, then had the cheek to have a go at a young guy who worked there, who had actually acknowledged us!!! She made him look bad in front of some other guests, which was totally uncalled for. I felt very sorry for him.
We were in the Baden Powell Room and were told it was a superior room. It was quite large, and had nice views. However it had a wierd shed like bathroom in it. I would imagine it used to be a meeting room and has been converted. The decor and furniture does not match the standards I would expect from a superior room costing £278 per night for 2 people.
The lunch buffet was limited and not worth £18. Dinner was small portions and not very flavoursome. Breakfast was very limited. If you are there for a treat you may not want to diet, however you are forced to here.
The swimming pool was cold.
Jacuzzi was lovely, as was the sauna and steam room.
Treatments were nice, but expensive.
No fridge or water in room.
I just think the outer packaging is good, but when you unwrap it its sadly like a cheap imitation handbag!!

Room Tip: Baden Powell room was spacious but lacked elegance
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nicola S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Bovey Tracey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We were lucky enough to go to Cedar Falls for dinner bed & breakfast last weekend & thoroughly enjoyed the experience.The Hotel is a beautiful country house style building situated in lovely grounds on the outskirts of Taunton. Peace & tranquality are the name of the game here. The staff are very welcoming, friendly & effecient. The food was enjoyable & the staff were very attentive to everyones needs. The range of wines were of good quality & not over priced at all.The restaurent, drawing room & breakfast rooms are beautifully furnished & have lovely molded ceilings. The spa facilities were of a good standard & the everything was clean & up to date. There was a huge range of treatments on offer at competitive rates & everything you would expect from a well run country hotel. Our only slight complaint was that our room was small & slightly on the tired side, but we were only staying for one night so it wasn't a problem. We had a thoroughly enjoyable stay there & were encouraged to stay throughout the following day to enable us to use as many of the facilities we would have liked to. I would be more than happy to go back there again for a day or an overnight stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Taunton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Wonderfully restful place. Food is lovely and service is of a very high standard. Lovely in December with a tall tree by the open fire. If you want to completely unwind, this is the place to go.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We stayed for two nights at the end of may start of June. We had a perfectly pleasant and relaxing stay. However throughout it there were a few minor things that for us detracted from the overall experience. They were all minor on there own but when added together we were left a bit dissatisfied with our stay.
The room was pleasant enough but the decor was a bit dated & the bathroom was very compact (I could open the door whilst sat on the toilet) the sink wasn't in the bathroom, but in the main room which wasn't the most convenient.
The food was generally fine, with the deserts being particularly good. But my husband's main course of Fritatta was a very small portion - more like a light lunch than a main evening meal - and this was in contrast to mine which was plenty large enough. The waiting staff were friendly but a little scatty - asked if I wanted ice & lemon in my drink, then brought my drink without them, on the second night we never got the coffee we ordered (twice).
Our tour of the facilities didn't tell us anything about the outdoor facilities, so we only discovered the outdoor pool late in our stay.
We didn't recieve our newspaper on the first morning. The reception person said she could ask a staff member to collect one on the way in but we wouldnt get it until the afternoon.
Due to a treatment we'd booked finishing at check out time on the last day I asked if we could check out 30ins late, so I could use the room to get changed - being 7 months pregnant getting changed takes a bit if effort! We understood this might not be possible, but were disappointed that it the reception person didn't appear to even consider it.
As I say all minor things & overall we had a pleasant & relaxing stay in a lovely setting. We had booked using a voucher deal, so felt based on what we paid it was good value. But we probably wouldn't go out of our way to stay again.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Tappytips
devon
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I have to say that the weather last weekend, for the UK was astounding, so this review may differ alot from the other reviews as we were able to lay on the sunloungers outside, next to the out door heated pool......which we actually went in. It was fantastic. My partner had bought us a night's stay Cedar Falls for my birthday. It is not a million miles from where we live, but it really felt like you were out in the countryside and the drive way leading up to the hotel looks amazing, especially in the sun.

For the afternoon we got there, we sat in the blazing sunshine, used the outdoor pool that feels (with the surrounding fields etc) more like you are in Tuscany and read our books......and most importantly.....relaxed - just wonderful.

The evening we had a 3 course meal, which again was fab, I had a cold chicken salad as starter, a pork loin with Honey mustard glaze over a bed of mixed veg/potato mash......describing it doesn't do it justice.....so tender it just melted. For pud I had a homemade Apple Pie with vanilla icecream, which again was lush.

The room was nice, good choice of TV channels if you want them, bed comfy, all clean and tidy, no real complaints.

The following day, the breakfast was not very well described and you weren't quite sure what you could order with what, or whether mushroom on toast was the choice or whether you could have Bacon with that.....but we asked and chose a nice selection.....although they forgot my Eggs so bacon and mushroom it was.....nice though and didn't really bother me as I don't normally eat breakfast.....but when in Rome and all that.

The following day was again lovely in the morning, sun shining, shorts on, book out, outdoor pool shimmering.....really felt like a holiday, however by this point Emma was getting a little nervous as she had paid for use to go to a spa, use the Jaquzzi, Steam Room, Sauna etc....but both being sun worshippers, we could drag outselves indoors.......however, the birthday luck was in, just as we had to leave the poolside to check out and load the bags into the car, the clouds started coming over.......sweet - why you might ask......

Well even though we had to check out at 11am, the hotel let you use the facilities up until 5 o'clock, so we were able to go into the huge Spa area and conservatory, use the pool and all the other facilities....which are all very clean and lovely, and stayed in there and pampered ourselves for a couple of hours before driving home.

All in all, an amazing break away, really relaxing - the sun really helped but we are definitly going to go back in the winter, it would be lovely to be sat in the Spa, looking out through the huge conservatory, warm and cosy with a bit of snow on the ground outside........

I've got a stiff neck writing this review.....back to Cedar Falls.....I think so.

Andy

Room Tip: Room one has 2 steps inside the door, so WATCH YOUR STEP.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Had not stayed before but was invited by a friend for a short stay as they were doing a special deal (2 for 1). We had a fantastic time room was lovely and clean and the property well kept, the food was excellent breakfast lunch and dinner especially dinner we thoroughly enjoyed it. My friend said it had never been so good! Well if you fancy a relaxing time away from it all then this is the place and spoil yourself with dinner it will be a treat.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank topi01
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Cedar falls is a beautiful place to relax and find yourself. There are people to talk to or you can be totally alone. Whilst I was there the chef was outstanding and I was sad to hear he was leaving.During this particular stay (one of many) I have to say the food was without any shadow of a doubt the best. The flavours in the most simple of dishes was divine. I wish he were staying. The spa service is excellent with first class treatments.
The bedrooms vary quite dramatically. If you have rooms 4 or 5 expect to hear every sound. If you are in 25 the folks above will decide how much sleep you get. This is a beautiful old house adapted for it's present use and at times this shows. I am not sure what you would need to "trade off" to achieve that sound proof perfection.
Anyway for me the low tech' nature of this place is its charm. The staff especially Sam and and Fatalah are really special.
Pay your money and take your choice ... but I will be back!

Room Tip: Head for the attic quiet and isolated
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank gina245
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taunton
Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant
#2 of 2 in Wellington
Blorenge House
Blorenge House
#10 of 17 in Taunton

Been to Cedar Falls Health Farm? Share your experiences!