“Beautiful location and building let down by sub standard service.”

Cedar Falls Health Farm
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 30 December 2012

I had a 2 night stay over Christmas period. Was happy with room, although bathroom was a disappointment, with a very dated shower cubicle. The room was very cold. Thankfully Harry brought a heater up to my room, which was really appreciated.

Unfortunately it is the staff which let the stay down. My first night I returned late and had to wait in reception for night porter. Didn't mind waiting, as thought there'd be a 'sorry to keep you' and smiley face to greet me. Instead I got a bloke in shorts, saying 'Good, I can lock up now....'

The next morning Housekeeping started knocking frantically on door at 8.45. Her key was in lock and I had to jump out of bed and ask her to come back later. No apology offered, she just left. When I brought it up with guy on Front Desk and said could she come a little later, again no apology for inconvenience etc.

Upon check in I asked whether the rate included breakfast and was told yes. On check out I was told to pay for breakfast. Working in hospitality myself, I know that the checkout process is such a crucial part of the stay. Laura was completely unbothered, didn't ask whether I enjoyed myself. Tried to charge me for a facial I had booked for a few days later. I left feeling frustrated and frankly that they did not care about me or anyone else staying there.

Lovely South African lady on reception and attentive, friendly waiter (slightly older man with glasses) at breakfast made my stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank so4251

Reviewed 20 December 2012

Just returned from a superb 3 night stay. All of the staff are first class. We have stayed many times in the past and I can honestly say that the food has always been good but this time it really has gone up another notch. Breakfast is good and Lunch and Evening meals are top class. The Head Chef, his staff and the dining staff are the best. Cedar Falls is welcoming, warm with all the facilities you need for a very relaxing stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Booked an overnight stay for some much needed r&r for my husband's birthday recently, we had a wonderful time. The staff were fantastic, friendly, helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Food was great, breakfast could have had a cheeky sausage and a couple of rashers of bacon thrown in to give it top marks but everything was cooked to perfection and lots of healthy choices. We booked via a third party and got an amazing price for our overnight stay and all food thrown in so we were expecting a basic room which is what we got but it was spotlessly clean and bed was really comfortable, shower looked very dated but had great water pressure. Some areas of the building are being worked on which is great to see they are spending money updating the facilities. The pool, sauna, steam room were great and discovered a ladies only steam room with twinkly lights in the ceiling in the ladies fitting rooms which was pure bliss! Both of us had massages, mine was an aromatherapy all over body massage which was heavenly, my husband had a sports massage which he said was great. Overall would definately recommend Cedar falls, beautiful setting, staff were just so welcoming and the place had a lovely relaxed air about it, we came home feeling like we'd been away for a week!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Victoria J, Assistant Manager at Cedar Falls Health Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

Dear Vickie H,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you made use of the facilities and treatments at Cedar Falls Health Farm & Spa, and that you found your room to be clean and comfortable. I am also please to read that you and your husband enjoyed the meals.

I will pass on your positive feedback to all the departments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Cedar Falls Health Farm & Spa soon.

Reviewed 13 November 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Cedar Falls bank holiday weekend and what a lovely relaxing stay it was!!
We booked a travelzoo special offer for one night which inc breakfast and an evening meal and thoroughly enjoyed it!!
The grounds of the place were lovely and well looked after, staff very friendly and food delicious!
The spa pool area was very relaxing and comfortable with a lovely pool, sauna and steam room!! I didn't have a treatment as they were fully booked so I would say book that well in advance!!
We had lunch in the restaurant which we paid extra for but it wasn't too expensive and was very tasty, you could also have cream teas and cakes brought down to the pool area which look lovely and quite a few people were doing!!
The evening meal we had was delicious, freshly prepared and the waiting staff were so lovely and friendly!!
Breakfast was I would say 'healthy' but then you are at a health spa!! My husband expected a big fry up I think so was shocked ha!! It was lovely tho, you could have cereals, fruit, yoghurts, fruit juices, coffee, tea etc but had to pay extra for things like smoked salmon on toast or eggs with toast and mushrooms which is what we did and it was lovely!!

All in all a very relaxing and chilled break away!! We would definately go again and would certainly recommend it to others!

• Stayed: August 2012
Victoria J, Assistant Manager at Cedar Falls Health Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2012

Dear Donnamarie21,

Thank you for your review.

It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us,and that you enjoyed the facilities and meals. I will pass on your comments to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 November 2012

I took my friend on a 'top to toe' pamper day for a birthday treat and we had a great time! Fantastic service, we were never kept waiting for treatments or lunch, the therapists were very professional and actually good value for money! The food was also lovely. The rest of the day was spent using their pool and sauna facilities. The only negative points were that they charge you £5 for a robe to wear all day (optional) but given the price of the spa day you would think that they would include this, and the changing rooms were cold. Otherwise a fantastic day, very relaxing, great treatments and I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Claire S
Victoria J, Assistant Manager at Cedar Falls Health Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

Hi Claire S,

Thank you for your review. It's great to hear you enjoyed your Top to Toe day, I will pass on your comments to the team.

I will also ensure that the changing rooms are a higher temperature.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 3 November 2012 via mobile

Lovely gardens, sauna, steam, pool & pool side service v.good. Room Bathroom looked tired, breakfast limited, cereals and how do you like your eggs. Bathrobe sizes ltd. No xxl this offends dignity. 2 overall as expensive for what it is.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank PhillWheatley
Victoria J, Assistant Manager at Cedar Falls Health Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

Dear PhillWheatley,

Thank you for your review.

The bathrobes are large as our guests like to snuggle in a fluffy bathrobe whilst relaxing around the house.

I am glad you enjoyed the facilities and grounds at Cedar Falls.

Reviewed 26 October 2012

Whilst I can’t contradict all of the comments in the less favourable reviews (except ref. the food but I think the chef has changed!), my view is that they were looking for a different experience.

As a woman travelling alone, I wanted a relaxing experience to re-charge my batteries, oh and not pay the earth. For that Cedar Falls is perfect. The spa / clinic is extremely professional (I'm not an expert but I felt I was in expert hands), as well as friendly, reasonably priced and comprehensive.

The food is perfect. Sensible, delicious food in reasonable quantities. You won’t over-eat and, if (as a woman) you’re still hungry at the end of the meal, you may have a large appetite.

The standard rooms are small, but at £125.00 per night including three comprehensive meals, you shouldn’t be expecting the Ritz.

The current clientele was almost exclusively women. And yes (ref. a previous comment), guests are very welcome to wear bath robes to breakfast and lunch. But you don’t have to.

Cedar Falls is NOT a spa tacked onto the side of a four/five star hotel. It is a health farm/spa with good accommodation and, IMHO, fantastic (normal) food and a decent wine menu, and that was the reason I travelled over 2 hours from train from London to come here (now twice). It is calm, serene and appropriately friendly, and also perfect for a single woman who wants a few days to herself.

I don’t think there is a better place in the UK for a woman/women to come and pamper themselves and properly relax and not worry about a thing.

Take Cedar Falls for what it is and you won’t be disappointed.

Room Tip: As a single traveller, expect a small room and you won't be disappointed. If you don't want...