“Money well spent.”

Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
England
“Money well spent.”
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I saw an online offer which seemed excellent value and I took the opportunity to meet up with a friend here for a bit of quiet time.

Booking staff were helpful and able to answer all of my questions and offer advice when requested.

Treatments had to be booked directly with the spa. I can understand that they are unable to give appointment times in advance because it is beneficial for them to book therapists and running orders when they know how many people they need to accommodate. However, having read previous reports, I asked for confirmation by email of the treatments that I had requested (2 aromatherapy massages and a pedicure) but was told that wasn't possible. When we arrived only one aromatherapy massage was booked. We were told that we would have to visit the spa to sort it out. My friend felt that she was happy with just a pedicure so we didn't pursue it. Staff in the spa were very approachable and I think that they would have made the effort to rectify the situation if asked.

My massage was with Julie and it was the best that I have had: firm but very relaxing and without any 'ow' moments as I had requested. She took time to establish what I was looking for and I didn't feel rushed or hurried at all. The whole service felt very personal and was blissful.

The grounds are beautiful and the steam train running regularly along the edge of the grounds was magical.

The reception staff were helpful and friendly and we were given a tour as it was our first time staying. Our room was available early and was clean if a little tired as detailed in previous reports.

I opted for a room with a bath; after being given the option at booking of a bath or a shower. I was advised that the rooms with baths were slightly larger. The room was perfectly adequate and quirky as it was on the top floor and built into the eaves. The bathroom was literally built into the eaves on two sides and housed a basic bath and the toilet. I am fairly tall at 5'10 and whilst I could just use the bath I was quite glad that I wasn't sharing the room with my 6'5 husband; it would have been uncomfortably small, even for one night. If you want to spend time in the room then I would recommend looking at the upgrade options. The room was very warm and we couldn't switch the night storage heater off. That will probably teach me a lesson as after reading previous reports I told the staff that I hate to be cold :0). Which we solved by leaving the window open, then closing it at 3am after a noisy delivery!

The heating is all via night storage heaters, so it effectively takes 36 hours to warm a cold room. This is why people have been cold as they requested room changes which meant that the replacement room wasn't fully prepared.

Our room was on the second floor and whilst I am fairly fit and active it was a fair hike. If you have access problems then state this when booking. We were offered assistance with our bags at checkin which we declined. At checkout time. my friends nail varnish was conveniently still wet after her pedicure. I was trying to work out how to get all of the bags downstairs when the very nice lady who cleaned our room approached me to offer help. She even offered to take my friends bags to her in the spa area whilst I took mine to the car. I was very impressed at her initiative and her help.

We purchased chicken salad with lime and dill dressing. The chicken was plentiful, but the dressing lacked flavour.

Dinner was good. Nice selection of different courses, competently cooked. Banoffee pie was first class. Breakfast was tasty and scrambled eggs nicely cooked.

All in all, previous reports are correct. It is a bit tired and a little shabby, but charming. Staff were helpful and friendly. I would have preferred to pay a little more for a few more luxury touches, coffee included etc. All things considered: excellent value for money and a delightful break. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Explain your needs to the booking staff when booking and use their knowledge.
3 Thank RiaBlack

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This was my second time staying at Cedar falls and I have to say it's gone greatly down hill since my last stay. Upon entering I was greated by a young lad who was rude, arrogant and very noisy he was NOT very helpful at all & didn't even show me or my friend to our rooms. The room was very small, shabby & also very dated in great need off re-decorating only thing I think that's changed since my last stay is the vinyl in the bathroom, cleaning staff over all were friendly but was let down by the short woman with short hair who I think seemed very stressed. Didn't really have time for many treatments as the people on reception messed up my appointments. The food was great and fatahalla is always such a friendly little man

• Stayed March 2013
5 Thank JeremyKy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I have just returned from my first stay at Cedar Falls and I will definitely return. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly, all the staff are helpful and welcoming and you can do as much or as little exercise as you wish. The real bonus for me was the food. Excellent, healthy and the Chef went out of his way to serve appetising vegetarian food. Not a dull bowl of pasta, risotto or veg lasagne in the house !! We went on a special break so the prices were very reasonable.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mandybar
Portsmouth
Reviewed 30 April 2013

This is the first time that I have visited Cedar Falls and have to say I really enjoyed the experience, the staff were friendly and very helpful, the food was absolutely amazing and I got the well earned rest that I needed. I'd say that the accommodation needs an overhaul, our room was pretty tiny but we weren't that bothered as we didn't spend a great deal of time in it but the shower was very small and either boiling hot or lukewarm. The walls to next door were very thin as well so you could hear conversations and coughs, when I return I would probably look to book a deluxe room. The general standard of cleanliness was good although one of the air fresheners in one of the toilets had dust all over the top of it and there was a large damp patch on the blue carpet on the right hand corner of the conservatory which was a bit unsightly. My first bathrobe smelt a little damp/of cooking oil and had a hole in the sleeve so it was returned and I got a fresher robe. The gym equipment is sufficient if you just want to have a small workout, after all I had gone there to relax so wasn't that fussed but if you are a massive gym addict there may not be enough there for you. The treatments I had were lovely and the beauty therapists were very friendly and helpful. Waiting staff were very curteous and professional. I would definitely return here again but do feel that the place could do with a good deep clean and polish up, most certainly the rooms.

1 Thank newlywedPortsmouth
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2013

This is at least the tenth time I have been to Cedar Falls, and taking advantage of an offer this time a friend came with me who had never been before.

It is a wonderful place and we had an excellent time. The treatments as always were fantastic and all the treatment staff are really friendly and remember you if you are a frequent visitor.

The food in the restaurant was excellent and the chef was certainly excelling when we were there. The chocolate brownie and home-made honeycomb left us speechless! The choice I felt is enough at dinner and I do know that they will come up with an alternative if needed. Lunch has changed over the times I have been visiting but again it was fresh, well cooked and enough of a choice. Same can be said about Breakfast, cereals, fresh fruit, toast and eggs all available with lots of coffee and tea. And if you can fit more in, then try the cakes in an afternoon with tea - I did and they were yummy.

Our room was compact, but then we were only in it for sleeping. If you intended to spend a lot of time in your room, then go for something larger. Observations about the room - the shower would have been no good if you were taller than me (5'4") and it had two temperatures - scalding hot and lukewarm. The window did rattle and my friend and I wedged some paper in it one night. It was also very hot in there.

The spa/pool area was good. There were plenty of beds for us to relax on and we were in and out of the pool, the steam room, sauna, whenever we wanted.

The new Oasis of Tranquillity was lovely, and I loved the room where the Dry Float was. It was definitely peaceful.

Having been lots of times, I can see the changes over the years - some are good, some understandable, others questionable? I was disappointed that being a frequent guest that this was not recognised. The furniture in the drawing room could do with a bit of a spruce up and deep clean. The removal of the jugs of water at lunch and dinner was rather cumbersome. We were forever asking the waiting staff for a top up - sending them backwards and forwards at least 3 times on top of them serving our food. Please go back to jugs of water!! And also free tea or coffee after dinner as well would be welcomed back. I recognise that this does not make money, but it is the smaller touches that people remember! These are all minor things and would certainly not stop me returning, hopefully again this year.

3 Thank Jo-Bookworm
devon
Reviewed 15 April 2013

This is my 2nd trip to Cedar Falls this year already and yet again another wonderful 4 day break with my mum and sisters.
Everything was very relaxing from the moment we arrived. Nothing was too much trouble for the restaurant staff whom accomodated my sister when she wasn't keen on any of the starters to rustling up my favourite sticky toffee pudding.
The staff were all very efficient even when very busy at all times and the food was upto it's great standard with Mayla and Ramsey in the kitchen.
We all had varied beauty treatments which were all of a high standard, very relaxing and proffesional.
As for the rooms we had already stated which ones were our favourites on booking so were very happy.
Can't wait to come back again.

Room Tip: Pick your room before you go to ensure that you get your bath/shower and also whether you want to be...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank cakebakerDevon
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Just got back from cedar falls with my daughter, been here about 4/5 times before, we had a lovely stay but a couple of times we have stayed here we have been woken early morning with a delivery around 6am which is not good when you have come for a break away, rather loud outside the window or it was a dust bin truck. Another couple of things is main pool is to cold, good for aqua session's to cool down in, also in your bedroom room it would be nice to have a couple of bottles of water for during the night if you get thirsty or to have with medication. Otherwise overall I would recommend the health farm to people and the food is very good and cedar falls is in such a beautiful location.(a couple of treatments a little pricey aswell!)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taunton
The Mount Somerset Hotel
#9 of 17 in Taunton
Blorenge House
Blorenge House
#11 of 17 in Taunton

Been to Cedar Falls Health Farm? Share your experiences!