I saw an online offer which seemed excellent value and I took the opportunity to meet up with a friend here for a bit of quiet time.
Booking staff were helpful and able to answer all of my questions and offer advice when requested.
Treatments had to be booked directly with the spa. I can understand that they are unable to give appointment times in advance because it is beneficial for them to book therapists and running orders when they know how many people they need to accommodate. However, having read previous reports, I asked for confirmation by email of the treatments that I had requested (2 aromatherapy massages and a pedicure) but was told that wasn't possible. When we arrived only one aromatherapy massage was booked. We were told that we would have to visit the spa to sort it out. My friend felt that she was happy with just a pedicure so we didn't pursue it. Staff in the spa were very approachable and I think that they would have made the effort to rectify the situation if asked.
My massage was with Julie and it was the best that I have had: firm but very relaxing and without any 'ow' moments as I had requested. She took time to establish what I was looking for and I didn't feel rushed or hurried at all. The whole service felt very personal and was blissful.
The grounds are beautiful and the steam train running regularly along the edge of the grounds was magical.
The reception staff were helpful and friendly and we were given a tour as it was our first time staying. Our room was available early and was clean if a little tired as detailed in previous reports.
I opted for a room with a bath; after being given the option at booking of a bath or a shower. I was advised that the rooms with baths were slightly larger. The room was perfectly adequate and quirky as it was on the top floor and built into the eaves. The bathroom was literally built into the eaves on two sides and housed a basic bath and the toilet. I am fairly tall at 5'10 and whilst I could just use the bath I was quite glad that I wasn't sharing the room with my 6'5 husband; it would have been uncomfortably small, even for one night. If you want to spend time in the room then I would recommend looking at the upgrade options. The room was very warm and we couldn't switch the night storage heater off. That will probably teach me a lesson as after reading previous reports I told the staff that I hate to be cold :0). Which we solved by leaving the window open, then closing it at 3am after a noisy delivery!
The heating is all via night storage heaters, so it effectively takes 36 hours to warm a cold room. This is why people have been cold as they requested room changes which meant that the replacement room wasn't fully prepared.
Our room was on the second floor and whilst I am fairly fit and active it was a fair hike. If you have access problems then state this when booking. We were offered assistance with our bags at checkin which we declined. At checkout time. my friends nail varnish was conveniently still wet after her pedicure. I was trying to work out how to get all of the bags downstairs when the very nice lady who cleaned our room approached me to offer help. She even offered to take my friends bags to her in the spa area whilst I took mine to the car. I was very impressed at her initiative and her help.
We purchased chicken salad with lime and dill dressing. The chicken was plentiful, but the dressing lacked flavour.
Dinner was good. Nice selection of different courses, competently cooked. Banoffee pie was first class. Breakfast was tasty and scrambled eggs nicely cooked.
All in all, previous reports are correct. It is a bit tired and a little shabby, but charming. Staff were helpful and friendly. I would have preferred to pay a little more for a few more luxury touches, coffee included etc. All things considered: excellent value for money and a delightful break. I would definitely go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cedar Falls is a welcoming retreat set in over 40 acres of grounds, amidst beautiful Somerset countryside. Guests enjoy all inclusive stays as well as full use of indoor and outdoor swimming pools, 9 hole golf course and restful stays, where the outside world will seem a million miles away. A rich palette of spa treatments is available including traditional beauty and body treatments as well as wonderful natural therapies. A packed schedule of exercise and relaxation classes is available daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotel.de and Evoline ltd so you can book your Cedar Falls Health Farm reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cedar Falls Health Farm Hotel Taunton
- Cedar Falls Relaxation Centre Taunton
- Cedar Falls Health Farm Taunton, Somerset