“Very disappointed”

Cedar Falls Health Farm
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I took my elderly mother here for a 'significant' birthday (hers not mine), something I had planned for months. I had taken her to Ragdale Hall Health Spa about 12 years ago and I guess we both expected something equally amazing (because it looks it in the brochure...). It's rather run-down and unloved, there's no atmosphere, the grounds are unkempt (good for wildlife however) and the staff seem fairly disinterested. It was such a disappointment given the 'build up', and cost me a lot of money, petrol (200 miles return trip) and I ended up exhausted by the time I'd got my mother back home again next day... When you've looked forward to something for so long, there's a long way to fall!

I complained 'constructively' to the Manager by emailed letter, and after re-emailing I was offered a repeat 'free' trip for 2 - but that's not going to be possible because once again it would mean taking time off, having a long, tiring drive, spending a lot of money on petrol...

To give them credit where credit is due - the evening meal was nice (but nothing spectacular), and my bed (twin room) was comfortable in Room 6.

Room Tip: Many, many stairs so if that's an issue make sure you discuss it when booking And if you like w...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Snowdrop15

Reviewed 28 May 2013

went to cedar falls in march this year for a two night break. We had been before and had a great time. (that was 3 years ago!) It was sad to see that the place was a bit tired and dated. carpets freyed, showers not working properly in guest rooms. Staff were great in the restraunt but the reception young man needed more training in fact quite rude and unhelpfull!! When it was time to do the bills and we said we wanted separate bills it caused a massive problem!! We had to work it out ourselves. Treatments were fairly good but when booking on any offers make sure that you book well in advance as it seemed very hard to fit the things in that you wanted.Last minute offers mean that spa treatment are limited.
Very limited choice of food on the menus in fact a choice of 2 things plus the salad selection. However the food that we had was delicious.The breakfast was so very limited !!! For the type of place it is and the prices that they charge there are better value spas out there to go to.

Room Tip: Tint small rooms !!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Kay C
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Tried to enquire this morning regarding a bank hol booking. The first lady I spoke to wasn't amused as I had apparently called the clinic instead. After transferring me to reservations I spoke to a man who was the most unhelpful receptionist you could want, who struggled with prices and a friendly attitude.
I sharnt be looking to go here anytime soon.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
10  Thank miskinCardiff
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Stayed here recently with my sister. We went for some desperately need rest & relaxation and got it. Our experience, however, was very mixed....
Food was generally good. Breakfast was adequate but very limited in choice; the usual cereal, juice & fruit options but the hot choice was egg & tomato, egg & tomato or egg & tomato! A little more imagination & choice of protein shouldn't be beyond the breakfast chef?
Lunch was fine for us (cold buffet and hot options all very tasty) as we were on a 4 day break and had dinner to look forward to in the evening. If I'd been on a day spa I would have been disappointed by the choice available - especially the dessert.
Dinner was excellent - no complaint there. Incidentally, the service at mealtimes was excellent - lovely staff.
Reception - very pleasant older chap was on duty when we arrived - helpful and welcoming. Also very nice South African lady on duty at various times - very pleasant and accommodating.
Enjoyed all my treatments - all carried out very competently.
Also enjoyed the quirky evening presentations - interesting and informative.
Overall ambience was "relaxing weekend in the country". Delightful old house, elegant public rooms. Away from the main public rooms, however, you begin to realise that the place hasn't been touched since it was first renovated nearly 30 years ago.
What really let the whole thing down, though, was the shabbiness of the (single) bedrooms. We chose the cheapest option (on the basis that we wouldn't be spending much time in them) but, for the money we paid, I would still expect something clean and relatively modern. Even Travelodge can manage that.
My room was of small but the bed was comfortable. However, the carpet was stained, the curtain on the bedroom window had been torn and repaired three times, the wall around the TV was stained & dirty. Incredibly, there was only one available power socket which made it very difficult to juggle hair dryer, straighteners, kettle, phone charger, e-reader charger etc!.
The bathroom was a good size but had no heating so I had to leave the door open all night or I'd have frozen in the morning. The bathroom suite was Avocado (!) which I know for a fact hasn't been available since the mid-80's, the bath was split around the plug-hole and been very badly repaired with some sort of lumpy resin which looked like someone had been sick in the bath! The blind was dirty & stained. Overall - these single rooms need some serious money spent on them - they're not even as good as a cheap B&B.
Come on Cedar Falls - get with the programme.

Room Tip: You'll have to pay more to get decent quality - but you shouldn't have to!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
12  Thank Jenaphina
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I saw an online offer which seemed excellent value and I took the opportunity to meet up with a friend here for a bit of quiet time.

Booking staff were helpful and able to answer all of my questions and offer advice when requested.

Treatments had to be booked directly with the spa. I can understand that they are unable to give appointment times in advance because it is beneficial for them to book therapists and running orders when they know how many people they need to accommodate. However, having read previous reports, I asked for confirmation by email of the treatments that I had requested (2 aromatherapy massages and a pedicure) but was told that wasn't possible. When we arrived only one aromatherapy massage was booked. We were told that we would have to visit the spa to sort it out. My friend felt that she was happy with just a pedicure so we didn't pursue it. Staff in the spa were very approachable and I think that they would have made the effort to rectify the situation if asked.

My massage was with Julie and it was the best that I have had: firm but very relaxing and without any 'ow' moments as I had requested. She took time to establish what I was looking for and I didn't feel rushed or hurried at all. The whole service felt very personal and was blissful.

The grounds are beautiful and the steam train running regularly along the edge of the grounds was magical.

The reception staff were helpful and friendly and we were given a tour as it was our first time staying. Our room was available early and was clean if a little tired as detailed in previous reports.

I opted for a room with a bath; after being given the option at booking of a bath or a shower. I was advised that the rooms with baths were slightly larger. The room was perfectly adequate and quirky as it was on the top floor and built into the eaves. The bathroom was literally built into the eaves on two sides and housed a basic bath and the toilet. I am fairly tall at 5'10 and whilst I could just use the bath I was quite glad that I wasn't sharing the room with my 6'5 husband; it would have been uncomfortably small, even for one night. If you want to spend time in the room then I would recommend looking at the upgrade options. The room was very warm and we couldn't switch the night storage heater off. That will probably teach me a lesson as after reading previous reports I told the staff that I hate to be cold :0). Which we solved by leaving the window open, then closing it at 3am after a noisy delivery!

The heating is all via night storage heaters, so it effectively takes 36 hours to warm a cold room. This is why people have been cold as they requested room changes which meant that the replacement room wasn't fully prepared.

Our room was on the second floor and whilst I am fairly fit and active it was a fair hike. If you have access problems then state this when booking. We were offered assistance with our bags at checkin which we declined. At checkout time. my friends nail varnish was conveniently still wet after her pedicure. I was trying to work out how to get all of the bags downstairs when the very nice lady who cleaned our room approached me to offer help. She even offered to take my friends bags to her in the spa area whilst I took mine to the car. I was very impressed at her initiative and her help.

We purchased chicken salad with lime and dill dressing. The chicken was plentiful, but the dressing lacked flavour.

Dinner was good. Nice selection of different courses, competently cooked. Banoffee pie was first class. Breakfast was tasty and scrambled eggs nicely cooked.

All in all, previous reports are correct. It is a bit tired and a little shabby, but charming. Staff were helpful and friendly. I would have preferred to pay a little more for a few more luxury touches, coffee included etc. All things considered: excellent value for money and a delightful break. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Explain your needs to the booking staff when booking and use their knowledge.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank RiaBlack
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This was my second time staying at Cedar falls and I have to say it's gone greatly down hill since my last stay. Upon entering I was greated by a young lad who was rude, arrogant and very noisy he was NOT very helpful at all & didn't even show me or my friend to our rooms. The room was very small, shabby & also very dated in great need off re-decorating only thing I think that's changed since my last stay is the vinyl in the bathroom, cleaning staff over all were friendly but was let down by the short woman with short hair who I think seemed very stressed. Didn't really have time for many treatments as the people on reception messed up my appointments. The food was great and fatahalla is always such a friendly little man

• Stayed: March 2013
5  Thank JeremyKy
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I have just returned from my first stay at Cedar Falls and I will definitely return. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly, all the staff are helpful and welcoming and you can do as much or as little exercise as you wish. The real bonus for me was the food. Excellent, healthy and the Chef went out of his way to serve appetising vegetarian food. Not a dull bowl of pasta, risotto or veg lasagne in the house !! We went on a special break so the prices were very reasonable.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple